Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: My Dominion Logic Puzzle  (Read 3386 times)

Axe Knight

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
My Dominion Logic Puzzle
« on: June 29, 2011, 12:31:18 am »

I sincerely apologize ahead of time if there are any mistakes in this.  There is at least one solution.  I don't think it's difficult, but then again, I wrote it.   :P 

Darlene, George, Harry, and Ingrid (in that turn order) are playing Dominion.  Darlene is to George's left, Ingrid is to Harry's right, etc. There were only five kingdom cards in play.  The supply is as follows:

Baron (5 left)
Smithy (8 left)
Shanty Town (0 left)
Chapel (2 left)
Smugglers (0 left)

Copper (1 left)
Silver (40 left)
Gold (30 left)

Curses (0 left)
Estates (2 left)
Duchies (5 left)
Provinces (4 left)

Who played which actions during their previous turn, in which order, and who gained which card?

Find out using the following clues:

NOTE:  Even though this is a logic puzzle, the players did not behave brilliantly, and this situation is not actually possible, since three piles are depleted.

1)Each participant played at least one Action on their turn (some playing more), and each player started with five cards.
2)Ingrid did not play any Action which caused her to draw exactly two cards.
3)Only the player who played the most Actions played the Smugglers.
4)No player reshuffled during their turn.
5)George did not trash any cards from his hand, nor did he play an Action that cost one less than the one Darlene played.
6)No player had any Victory cards in their hand at the start of their turn.
7)Darlene played only one Action, and she was the only one who had that action in her deck.
8)No player bought a Silver during the round.
9)Harry and one other player to his left gained an Estate. Each gained exactly one, and only one of these was bought.
10)Ingrid had no cards in her hand at the end of her Action phase.
11)Darlene did not play any cards that gave an extra Action.
12)At the start of the turn, George and Harry had no treasure cards in their hand.  At the end of their Action phases, Darlene had three, and George still had none.
13)The top two cards of Harry's deck were an action and a curse, and the only others were two treasure cards thereafter.
14)Everyone gained at least one card in the round.
15)No one started their turn with any actions of the same name.
16)Harry only gained a Province the turn before this one, and was the only player to gain a card.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 11:02:13 am by Axe Knight »
An Axe Knight draws near!  Command?

Taco Lobster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
Re: My Dominion Logic Puzzle
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 12:38:31 pm »

Don't 4 piles need to be empty to end a 4 player game on piles?

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 12:59:53 pm »

Don't 4 piles need to be empty to end a 4 player game on piles?
No; that's the rule for a 5-player game.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Taco Lobster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 02:05:55 pm »

Thanks Jack.

mischiefmaker

• Golem
  • Respect: +108
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 05:10:41 pm »

By clues 15 and 10, Ingrid must have played chapel, since without chapel the only way for her to have no cards in hand at the end of her action phase would be to play shanty town enough times to play 3 terminal actions, and by 15 she couldn't have started with the two necessary shanty towns. Since she is on Harry's right, and goes last, two estates are already gained by the time she takes her turn (clue 9); therefore she could not have gained an estate via baron. Since she had no treasure to buy (clue 10), she must have either smuggled a card, or bought copper (clue 14).

Harry started the turn with no treasure (clue 12), and had only four cards in his deck; two of which were copper (clue 13, and the fact that 40 silvers are still in the supply). Since he didn't reshuffle (clue 4), these are the only cards he can draw, so he can only gain Estate and Copper, or smuggle whatever George bought. If he smuggled, then Ingrid couldn't have smuggled (clue 3), and if he gained an estate or a copper, there would be none left of either to smuggle; therefore, Ingrid must have bought copper.

Since Ingrid played chapel, Darlene can't have played chapel. By clue 11, she didn't play shanty town. If she played smugglers, all players would have had to play exactly 1 action (clues 7 and 3), but this contradicts clue 1, so Darlene played either smithy or baron. Therefore, George can't play smugglers (clue 5). He had no treasure, and could not have bought copper, since that would exhaust the pile, leaving none for Ingrid, and could not have bought a curse since there are none available. Therefore, by clue 14, he must have played baron, and he is the player to Harry's left who gained an estate. Therefore, Darlene played Smithy; since she has 3 treasure at the end of her Action phase, she must have bought a chapel, or else there would be either no estate left for Harry or copper left for Ingrid, and she couldn't have bought a silver (clue 8 ).

Since George gained an estate, Harry must have bought an estate. He had no treasure at the start of the turn, and did not reshuffle (clue 4), so he either had no cards in his discard or he drew no more than 4 cards. By clue 16 he had at least a province in his discard, so he must have drawn exactly 4 cards. The only way to do this is to play a Shanty town with no actions in hand, drawing a shanty town and a curse (clue 13), then playing that second shanty town to draw 2 coppers.

Someone still has to play smugglers, and it can't be Darlene (clue 7), George (since Darlene played smithy), or Harry (since he couldn't have had it in hand, and there wasn't one in his draw pile). Therefore, Ingrid must have played smugglers, in addition to her chapel, and thus must also have had a shanty town in hand. She couldn't have played smithy (clue 7) and she couldn't have drawn with her shanty town (clue 2); therefore she had all three of those actions in her hand, plus 2 other cards.

George has no treasure or VP in hand, and he played a Baron; therefore his draw was a Baron and 4 curses.
Harry had no treasure or VP in hand either, so his draw was Shanty Town and 4 curses; his deck contained another curse (9 total).
Darlene had no VP in hand, and had only 3 treasure at the end of her action phase, so her draw was a smithy, 3 copper, and the last curse.
Ingrid's draw was shanty town, smugglers, chapel, and either 2 coppers or a copper and a baron.

Summing it up, in turn order:

Darlene: Drew smithy, 3 copper, curse. Played smithy, bought chapel.
George: Drew baron, 4 curse. Played baron, gained estate, bought nothing.
Harry: Drew shanty town, 4 curse. Played shanty town, drew shanty town and curse. Played shanty town, drew 2 copper. Bought estate.
Ingrid: Drew shanty town, smugglers, chapel, 2 copper (or copper/baron). Played shanty town. Played smugglers, gaining nothing. Played chapel, trashing remaining cards. Bought copper.

By my reckoning, this means that the following clues are not necessary:

- George did not trash any cards from his hand
 - Harry only gained a Province the turn before this one, and was the only player to gain a card (all we need to know is that he has at least one card in his discard).
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 05:16:08 pm by mischiefmaker »

Axe Knight

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 06:36:55 pm »

Sounds good to me!  I will post another one soon.

The first clue you mention is unnecessary and I forgot to take it out.  It's there due to a leftover from a previous version.   The second one is also leftover and it's kept merely to clarify that no one gained something from a Smugglers.

mischiefmaker

• Golem
  • Respect: +108
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 08:52:41 pm »

Nobody else can gain anything from a Smugglers, even if that clue is not there. Darlene only has a Smithy, and everyone else's turn is unaffected by the previous round.

Anyway, that was fun! Looking forward to the next one.

Axe Knight

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 10:10:49 pm »

Nobody else can gain anything from a Smugglers, even if that clue is not there. Darlene only has a Smithy, and everyone else's turn is unaffected by the previous round.

Anyway, that was fun! Looking forward to the next one.

Again, more to clarify a .1% chance that there's some odd exception, but still unnecessary.  And thanks!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 20 queries.