Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Populate - Gladiator/Fortune Interaction  (Read 3088 times)

Kudasai

• Witch
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
Populate - Gladiator/Fortune Interaction
« on: June 03, 2020, 04:18:18 pm »
+4

Maybe it's already well known, but I wanted to point out that Populate can gain Fortunes if all the Gladiators are gone. This is because the Fortune pile is technically an Action pile even though it's a Treasure.

Fortune for $10 + all other Action cards. What a deal!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Populate - Gladiator/Fortune Interaction
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 04:26:12 pm »
+4

That's fortunate.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +863
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 07:24:14 am »

I think in many cases I'd rather pay an extra $6 (which is the difference between the total costs of Fortune and Populate) to gain a Fortune than be forced to take my Fortune together with a bunch of other cards that potentially hurt my deck, and especially the average coin value of my Fortune! I say this is a nombo. You need a good reason to go for Populate, and saving $6 on Fortune isn't one.
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 07:47:45 am »
+1

I think in many cases I'd rather pay an extra $6 (which is the difference between the total costs of Fortune and Populate) to gain a Fortune than be forced to take my Fortune together with a bunch of other cards that potentially hurt my deck, and especially the average coin value of my Fortune! I say this is a nombo. You need a good reason to go for Populate, and saving $6 on Fortune isn't one.

Typically, you need several small reasons that add up to it being worth it overall. Saving $6 on Fortune is one.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +863
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 08:06:39 am »

Typically, you need several small reasons that add up to it being worth it overall. Saving $6 on Fortune is one.

That's an interesting way to look at it. I think we're both technically correct.
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 10:29:31 am »

As always, it depends on the Kingdom. Usually the problem of Populate is not that you get bad cards but too many terminals.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 11:24:28 am »
+1

I think the number of boards where Populate isn't "worth it" because you get "too many terminals" is astoundingly small. Dealing with two dead cards when you got 7-8 good ones is absolutely worth it. Don't overthink it - just get Populate.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2020, 12:00:26 pm »

I agree and only meant that if there is any downside to Populate (besides the opportunity costs) it is too many terminals and not too many bad cards as was suggested here.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.