Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Better engine option?  (Read 3431 times)

GRB11

• Pawn
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
Better engine option?
« on: May 30, 2020, 10:53:20 am »

Question for you guys.
I had a base only kingdom that included merchant, village, militia, throne room, council room and market, and sentry for trashing.
What do you think would be the better engine here? Village+council room gives you lots of card draw but no $ so you’d need some golds I think. Or market+merchant with some throne rooms for some +card draw.
What would be more consistent? Once you start adding provinces, which one holds up better to dilution? Or is it pretty much the same? Throne room collisions kill your engine in the one, while drawing a hand with no village kills your engine in the other.
Any thoughts?
Thanks.

Adendum: remaining 3 cards were moat, gardens and burocrat or something equally unimpressive.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 11:28:24 am by GRB11 »

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
Re: Better engine option?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 11:18:52 am »

I'm assuming that the remaining three cards do not include Chapel, Remodel, Moneylender, Laboratory or Witch, because you'd have mentioned them. Hmmm. My impulse would be that Merchant is probably your most space-efficient source of income.

Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12839
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 12:30:00 pm »

Village+Council Room, but you definitely want Throne Rooms anyway and probably want Merchants too.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 06:01:51 pm »

I'd probably go for 2 markets, a bunch of merchants, a few throne rooms, a few silvers, 1 council room, 1 militia. Village seems pointless.

Or market+merchant with some throne rooms for some +card draw.
I think you're confused. You can't increase your hand size using throne room on merchant.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12839
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 05:37:34 am »
+1

I'd probably go for 2 markets, a bunch of merchants, a few throne rooms, a few silvers, 1 council room, 1 militia. Village seems pointless.

Village isn't pointless, it helps with consistency. More than one Silver is pointless though, and I don't know why you would need Market when Merchant does the same thing at a lower cost and Council Room has a +buy on it.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 06:31:28 am »

I'm currently playing this kingdom in game 46716466. I'll report back on how it goes.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2020, 06:41:21 am »

I won, but against an opponent who opened Village/Bureaucrat to my Militia/Silver. I'm not sure that helps us very much.

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5138
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2020, 08:43:52 am »
+3

Adendum: remaining 3 cards were moat, gardens and burocrat or something equally unimpressive.
Moat would actually be pretty relevant because it defends against Council Room/Militia.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10736
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2020, 02:32:16 pm »

Moat would actually be pretty relevant because it defends against Council Room/Militia.

Even if Moat could defend against Council Room, you wouldn't want it to. And I doubt you would want to get it just to defend against Militia; your best 3 cards should be enough to kick off a bunch of draw often anyway, and having another bad terminal in your deck is basically doing half a Militia on yourself whenever you draw it anyway. And that's assuming you actually have it in hand when Militia is played.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2020, 09:05:19 pm »
+2

Even if Moat could defend against Council Room, you wouldn't want it to. And I doubt you would want to get it just to defend against Militia; your best 3 cards should be enough to kick off a bunch of draw often anyway, and having another bad terminal in your deck is basically doing half a Militia on yourself whenever you draw it anyway. And that's assuming you actually have it in hand when Militia is played.

If they are playing Council Rooms, you have decent odds of drawing into the Moat.

Moat draw isn't great, but it's definitely not a dead card here. Almost all your Actions are cantrips, and you'll likely be Throne-ing Merchant for money, so you shouldn't be too action constrained. Your Moat is also preventing the discard of 3-4 cards, rather than just 2, so it's better than normal here - if they have Militia the upside is better, if they don't the downside is the same.

Also, it only costs $2. I'm looking to pick up 1 or 2 Moats when the opportunity presents itself.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2020, 11:52:31 pm »
+1

I'm with faust. It's pretty frustrating to play 3-4 Council Rooms then Militia, only to remember that Moat is a thing.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10736
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2020, 11:15:38 am »

Oooh, I read the post as saying that Moat both defends against Council Room and defends against Militia, but I see now that it's saying that it defends against the Council Room + Militia combo.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 20 queries.