Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Can you win this turn (Base Set)?  (Read 2247 times)

Snyables

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
Can you win this turn (Base Set)?
« on: May 27, 2020, 06:59:33 am »
+4

This is my first time posting, so sorry if any of the formatting isn't as nice as it could be. Please let me know any thoughts and feedback, as I would like to start posting puzzles like this on a regular basis.

(https://i.imgur.com/4bEfvgx.jpg) for full size image

You started strong in the early game, but your opponent has managed to turn your deck into a nightmare of curses and victory card repeats, seeming to play a bureaucrat nearly every turn. You finally shuffled your deck and got a great hand! You start your turn by playing laboratory  and find yourself with a hand of three throne rooms and three artisans. In victory points, you are trailing 16 to 23. You could gain 6 duchies this turn with your artisans and take the lead, but that wouldn't guarantee victory. Is there a better move for you to do this turn?

I will post the solution in a few days to give people a chance to play and discuss on their own first.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 06:20:18 am by Snyables »

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
Re: Can you win this turn?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 01:59:22 pm »

There's an old thread for these sorts of endgame puzzles that hasn't been used in a while. http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16209.msg777981#msg777981

People also post these to the #puzzles channel on the Dominion Discord. If you have a subscription for Dominion Online and you see the situation in a real game, you can share the game ID and people can reload the old game to try their solution for real, which can be helpful.

I think a few lines work here but the simplest one I see is TR-TR-TR-Artisan (Vassal + Vassal, topdeck 2 Artisan)-Vassal (+$4, play Artisan topdecking Duchy and 2nd Vassal play hits nothing)-Vassal (+$4, 1st play hits the 2nd Artisan for a 2nd Duchy), buy Province.

I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Snyables

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 08:39:47 am »

Thanks Titandrake for the information. I am well behind the times in the way most people communicate (I don't really know or understand what Discord is, but I'll try to figure it out). Although the first puzzle of this type that I made was inspired by a real game (a different one than the one above), I thought it would be more interesting to construct possible yet unlikely scenarios than have them from a game online. I do appreciate the link to the old thread, which I will enjoy reading through and trying to solve now.

I have found it challenging, that if you don't know the exact wording of all cards already, it becomes very tiresome looking up all the cards before you can even attempt a puzzle. I would like to make puzzles that are a bit more accessible to someone who might not have an encyclopedic knowledge of all cards, landscapes, events, etc. yet. In that desire I am wondering, were you able to read all the text in the image I posted? I made it large enough that it should be readable, but at least on my computer, when I zoom in, it becomes pixelated. Do you have any tips on how to post a larger picture?

Also, you have a good solution. Well done!

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 04:24:02 pm »

The image design looks great but it is pixelated when I try to read it. Hmm, facebook might downsize images when you upload them. Maybe try imgur.com instead?

Though I wouldn't worry much about players not knowing the cards. Almost everyone here knows the cards by heart.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 04:25:04 pm »
+1

Thanks Titandrake for the information. I am well behind the times in the way most people communicate (I don't really know or understand what Discord is, but I'll try to figure it out).

It's exactly like IRC but worse.

As for making cards easier to read, you can use the Kingdom tool in the f.ds browser extension. That way you don't have to make your image super huge, it generates a thing like this:

« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 04:28:11 pm by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Snyables

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 06:20:56 am »

Maybe try imgur.com instead?

Thanks for the suggestion Pubby! I tried and it definitely works, but posting the full size image in the forum is also unwieldy. I think haven't the imgur link below the smaller sized image, so people can open it in another tab/window will work well though. I have updated the original post to include that.

As for making cards easier to read, you can use the Kingdom tool in the f.ds browser extension

I will certainly look into using that extension if it can make these puzzles easier to read. Thank you for the tip Awaclus!

Would it be more proper to post further puzzle in this thread, or to make a new thread for each puzzle? I have 5 so far and plan to make more.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 06:45:04 am by Snyables »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 05:54:29 pm »
+2

Would it be more proper to post further puzzle in this thread, or to make a new thread for each puzzle? I have 5 so far and plan to make more.

Either way is fine, but I think a new thread for every puzzle is better.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Snyables

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2020, 05:29:01 am »

I think a new thread for every puzzle is better.

Thanks! I too thought it would be better to start a new thread, but I wanted someone's opinion who has been a member of this forum for a longer time, in case it would be viewed as spammy.

Solution: There are several ways to win this turn, but they all revolve around playing throne room, throne room, throne room, artisan, and then gaining duchies and vassals. The key is to order the top of the deck such that the vassals chain together with either vassals or artisans and you gain at least 8 coin.

As per Titandrake's answer, you can "TR-TR-TR-Artisan (Vassal + Vassal, topdeck 2 Artisan)-Vassal (+$4, play Artisan topdecking Duchy and 2nd Vassal play hits nothing)-Vassal (+$4, 1st play hits the 2nd Artisan for a 2nd Duchy), buy Province"

And if you are fine with being wasteful and not creating as much overkill, you can TR-TR-TR-Artisan (Vassal, Vassal topdeck Artisan, Vassal) - Artisan (Vassal, vassal, topdeck both) - Vassal (play all topdecked vassals and Artisan to gain duchy and make 8 coin, play vassal discard duchy). You now have $10, buy Province, and sneak by with a win.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.