Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: New Paper Mario announced!  (Read 241 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9473
    • View Profile
New Paper Mario announced!
« on: May 15, 2020, 08:21:49 pm »
+1

Iím excited. The first 2 Paper Mario games are all-time greats. Third one for Wii is bad, fourth one for Wii U I thought was ok... not as good as the first 2 but not as bad as most people think. Rumor has it that this one will return more to the roots of the first 2.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2689
    • View Profile
Re: New Paper Mario announced!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 08:39:15 pm »
+1

I always thought the Wii one was good, it just paled in comparison to the first two.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 08:44:52 pm »

I always thought the Wii one was good, it just paled in comparison to the first two.

I loved the concept; hated the implementation. A platformer RPG mix that lets you switch from 2D to 3D? Yes please!

However, for one the the controls were awful. You canít use the classic controller or the nunchuck; no choice but to use the Wii Remote sideways, which is uncomfortable and annoying. And then the way it controls... the physics were more like a Paper Mario game, but the actual content was platforming. It should control like a Mario Brothers game if itís going to require platforming action.

The story was great. But itís the only Paper Mario game we didnít 100% because it was too tedious to beat the harder optional challenges.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 08:46:39 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3280
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 04:51:35 am »

Poor Sticker Star, it's existence entirely forgotten. Probably as it should be.

Having watched what exists so far, it's hard for me to tell what the combat system is like. There's clearly a big stage rotation mechanic, which... no idea if that will be fun. Asides from that, hard to say.

Personally I loved TTYD and PM, and thought SPM was good although a little annoying to control at times - it had a surprisingly dark and enjoyable story for a game aimed at kids. Never even played Sticker Star or Colour Splash.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.
I hereby declare myself the best dominion player in the world. Obviously.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 11:32:11 am »

I knew about Sticker Star though intentionally left it out of that OP because Iíve never played it. And Iíve only heard bad things.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3774
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 04:59:35 pm »

Iím excited, and cautiously optimistic. I loved TTYD, and enjoyed SPM, although I didnít 100% either. I hear mostly bad things about the two that came afterwards. Reddit seems mostly concerned about this one not being an RPG either (something about Mario and Luigi taking over that niche in Nintendoís mind), which would hurt because it removes XP as one of the key motivations for fighting enemies. However, the snippets of world and story we saw look promising!

And of course, my usual concern of me only thinking that TTYD is great because I played it when I was much younger, then magnified by nostalgia. In which case this would never be able to measure up against that idealized version of TTYD.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3280
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 05:11:17 pm »
+1

I want to replay TTYD at some point, I have my Wii with some GCN memory cards, and a copy of the game, so I could easily do it. I expect the game to be easy, but still fun.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.
I hereby declare myself the best dominion player in the world. Obviously.

bitwise

• Bishop
  • Respect: +134
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2020, 06:23:26 pm »
+1

I'm really excited for this release! Hope it's as good as the old ones. Never played the Wii U game, and agreed on the first two being great. I think Super Paper Mario might have been alright if you could use a real controller for it, but as is, it was just too aggravating to play.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +9956
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2020, 07:08:53 pm »

The only one I've ever played was Super Paper Mario, and I stopped playing almost immediately. It really wasn't fun.

Regardless, I've pre-ordered this new entry. I may play the original game on the Wii U virtual console once I have access to my Wii U again. My young son started a save of it and it seemed OK. I'm also tempted to pick up Color Splash since I've heard the story is at least fun.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2020, 09:10:23 pm »
+1

The only one I've ever played was Super Paper Mario, and I stopped playing almost immediately. It really wasn't fun.

Regardless, I've pre-ordered this new entry. I may play the original game on the Wii U virtual console once I have access to my Wii U again. My young son started a save of it and it seemed OK. I'm also tempted to pick up Color Splash since I've heard the story is at least fun.

Yeah Super Paper Mario is a completely different genre of game from the other ones. The only similarity it has at all is in the art style. And I guess that Mario has HP.

Color Splash has great and hilarious dialog. The story itself isnít as great as the others, but the dialog is excellent.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +9956
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2020, 09:26:52 pm »

Yeah Super Paper Mario is a completely different genre of game from the other ones. The only similarity it has at all is in the art style. And I guess that Mario has HP.

Color Splash has great and hilarious dialog. The story itself isnít as great as the others, but the dialog is excellent.

Thanks for the info. I think I'm OK with hilarious dialogue, since I don't usually play Mario games for the story. Though maybe the original Paper Mario will change my mind if I get around to playing it.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.