Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: New Paper Mario announced!  (Read 4983 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
New Paper Mario announced!
« on: May 15, 2020, 08:21:49 pm »
+1

I’m excited. The first 2 Paper Mario games are all-time greats. Third one for Wii is bad, fourth one for Wii U I thought was ok... not as good as the first 2 but not as bad as most people think. Rumor has it that this one will return more to the roots of the first 2.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
Re: New Paper Mario announced!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 08:39:15 pm »
+1

I always thought the Wii one was good, it just paled in comparison to the first two.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 08:44:52 pm »

I always thought the Wii one was good, it just paled in comparison to the first two.

I loved the concept; hated the implementation. A platformer RPG mix that lets you switch from 2D to 3D? Yes please!

However, for one the the controls were awful. You can’t use the classic controller or the nunchuck; no choice but to use the Wii Remote sideways, which is uncomfortable and annoying. And then the way it controls... the physics were more like a Paper Mario game, but the actual content was platforming. It should control like a Mario Brothers game if it’s going to require platforming action.

The story was great. But it’s the only Paper Mario game we didn’t 100% because it was too tedious to beat the harder optional challenges.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 08:46:39 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 04:51:35 am »

Poor Sticker Star, it's existence entirely forgotten. Probably as it should be.

Having watched what exists so far, it's hard for me to tell what the combat system is like. There's clearly a big stage rotation mechanic, which... no idea if that will be fun. Asides from that, hard to say.

Personally I loved TTYD and PM, and thought SPM was good although a little annoying to control at times - it had a surprisingly dark and enjoyable story for a game aimed at kids. Never even played Sticker Star or Colour Splash.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 11:32:11 am »

I knew about Sticker Star though intentionally left it out of that OP because I’ve never played it. And I’ve only heard bad things.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 04:59:35 pm »

I’m excited, and cautiously optimistic. I loved TTYD, and enjoyed SPM, although I didn’t 100% either. I hear mostly bad things about the two that came afterwards. Reddit seems mostly concerned about this one not being an RPG either (something about Mario and Luigi taking over that niche in Nintendo’s mind), which would hurt because it removes XP as one of the key motivations for fighting enemies. However, the snippets of world and story we saw look promising!

And of course, my usual concern of me only thinking that TTYD is great because I played it when I was much younger, then magnified by nostalgia. In which case this would never be able to measure up against that idealized version of TTYD.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 05:11:17 pm »
+1

I want to replay TTYD at some point, I have my Wii with some GCN memory cards, and a copy of the game, so I could easily do it. I expect the game to be easy, but still fun.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

bitwise

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +142
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2020, 06:23:26 pm »
+1

I'm really excited for this release! Hope it's as good as the old ones. Never played the Wii U game, and agreed on the first two being great. I think Super Paper Mario might have been alright if you could use a real controller for it, but as is, it was just too aggravating to play.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2020, 07:08:53 pm »

The only one I've ever played was Super Paper Mario, and I stopped playing almost immediately. It really wasn't fun.

Regardless, I've pre-ordered this new entry. I may play the original game on the Wii U virtual console once I have access to my Wii U again. My young son started a save of it and it seemed OK. I'm also tempted to pick up Color Splash since I've heard the story is at least fun.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2020, 09:10:23 pm »
+1

The only one I've ever played was Super Paper Mario, and I stopped playing almost immediately. It really wasn't fun.

Regardless, I've pre-ordered this new entry. I may play the original game on the Wii U virtual console once I have access to my Wii U again. My young son started a save of it and it seemed OK. I'm also tempted to pick up Color Splash since I've heard the story is at least fun.

Yeah Super Paper Mario is a completely different genre of game from the other ones. The only similarity it has at all is in the art style. And I guess that Mario has HP.

Color Splash has great and hilarious dialog. The story itself isn’t as great as the others, but the dialog is excellent.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2020, 09:26:52 pm »

Yeah Super Paper Mario is a completely different genre of game from the other ones. The only similarity it has at all is in the art style. And I guess that Mario has HP.

Color Splash has great and hilarious dialog. The story itself isn’t as great as the others, but the dialog is excellent.

Thanks for the info. I think I'm OK with hilarious dialogue, since I don't usually play Mario games for the story. Though maybe the original Paper Mario will change my mind if I get around to playing it.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2020, 10:35:57 am »

It was released yesterday. I’m looking forward to playing it; but we aren’t going to get it right away because we still have a handful of Switch games that we haven’t played at all yet.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2020, 04:38:27 pm »

I ordered Origami King today. Reviews I've seen suggest it's pretty good, better than Sticker Star and Colour Splash, which is kind of half of what I want. I'm not in love with the battle system from what I've seen but it looks like it's a fun world to explore at least.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2020, 05:48:51 pm »

uh oh should my wallet be trembling right now

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2020, 08:46:58 pm »

I would like to play it, but the reviews imply that the combat system is a bit hit-or-miss. I'm also very busy at the moment, so not much of a choice either way... Would be happy to hear any opinions on the game though, let me live vicariously through you :p.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2020, 10:24:14 pm »
+1

I've just finished the first main area, and it's been fine so far - a little bit too much running around getting to the next thing (or back to older areas to look for hidden things), but the combat is interesting. You have a small timed puzzle to try to arrange the enemies into particular formations, and if you did the puzzle right then the combat step is often just a one-hit kill. The boss battles use the same general system, but the puzzle becomes about arranging yourself to get into position to hit them (and often to avoid being in range of their attacks), and I think I like them a bit better than the plain mook battles.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2020, 10:33:43 am »
+1

I'm right near the end of (what is effectively) Chapter 3 and I just love the game so far. For context I picked up and played the first chapter and a half of the original Paper Mario earlier this year, I got Super Paper Mario back when it was released and barely touched it, and I've never played Thousand Year Door, Sticker Star, or Color Splash. The game is definitely not as much of a traditional RPG as the original Paper Mario, but the battle system is fine (better than a lot of JPRGs, if I'm honest) and the rest of the game is fantastic. Like Final Fantasy VI, Shovel Knight, and Luigi's Mansion 3, the game is just packed with details that are a joy to discover and simultaneously make the world feel more real. I'd say if you enjoy exploration-focused games and can go into it not expecting Thousand Year Door (which is apparently the pinnacle of what people used to love about the series), you'll enjoy it.

EDIT: Also the music is excellent.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 10:42:07 am by LastFootnote »

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2020, 11:35:01 am »
+1

I'm right near the end of (what is effectively) Chapter 3 and I just love the game so far. For context I picked up and played the first chapter and a half of the original Paper Mario earlier this year, I got Super Paper Mario back when it was released and barely touched it, and I've never played Thousand Year Door, Sticker Star, or Color Splash. The game is definitely not as much of a traditional RPG as the original Paper Mario, but the battle system is fine (better than a lot of JPRGs, if I'm honest) and the rest of the game is fantastic. Like Final Fantasy VI, Shovel Knight, and Luigi's Mansion 3, the game is just packed with details that are a joy to discover and simultaneously make the world feel more real. I'd say if you enjoy exploration-focused games and can go into it not expecting Thousand Year Door (which is apparently the pinnacle of what people used to love about the series), you'll enjoy it.

EDIT: Also the music is excellent.

Oh I also like games which have a lot of unexpected goodies you can stumble upon. Makes the blind playthrough that much more rewarding when you do find that stuff. I also never played any of the Paper Mario games besides the original N64 one.

And of course, my usual concern of me only thinking that TTYD is great because I played it when I was much younger, then magnified by nostalgia. In which case this would never be able to measure up against that idealized version of TTYD.

Kinda feel this way about original Paper Mario. I played it a whole bunch as a kid through blockbuster rentals. I finally bought it a few years ago and beat it proper. Still a good game, but very much on the easy side.

As a side note, it is nice to see a Pokémon Snap sequel. That's another game that feels way harder as a kid.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2020, 05:51:47 pm »
+1

I've been playing the game over the last week, though have been playing more of Civ 6 the last few days. Currently in chapter 3. I have to say I'm enjoying it a fair bit, though it's definitely nowhere near the original 3 Paper Mario games. The world is charming and fun to explore, but not anything too breathtaking or amazing. The battle system is honestly more of a puzzle than a battle system (heck they even call it a puzzle bonus when you line everything up right), it can be pretty fun and challenging at times. Though my main issue with the battle system is it sort of feels like it plays itself beyond solving the puzzle, just attack with the right thing and you win. Though fortunately enemies now are beefy enough that I have to actually think about using weapons to kill in one hit, which is something I guess.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2020, 09:26:05 am »
+2

Finished The Origami King 2-3 days ago. I think it's a good game but not anything exceptional. It has a charming world and characters as mentioned before, that continues throughout. The boss fights are a lot of fun. The regular battles somewhat less so - the puzzle is quite enjoyable, mostly, but often battles after that are just a case of selecting something strong enough to OHKO and you're done. The story is basically non-existent, which is a shame, especially compared to TTYD and SPM which had fairly good stories. There isn't anything in the game now I've completed it which really draws me back and makes me want to replay it at all, or continue searching for 100%.

Overall a fun game, I give it maybe 7.5/10. Took me around 25-30 hours to complete.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2020, 01:24:05 pm »
+1

Got it and played through it. Overall I think it has some really strong points (mainly humour, charm, boss battles), but it is dragged down by a combat system that gets old halfway through Chapter 1.

The "sad" part is that the battle system would have been enjoyable if it was a bit less puzzle-like and a bit more RPG-like. The fun part of boss battles is that you're trying to figure out a way through the battle space that maximises damage to the boss, minimises damage to you (for some fights), and sets up the next turn. Because you're not certain you can do all, you have to choose what is more important, and there's a risk-reward aspect in how much time you want to spend looking for an optimal solution risking that the time runs out and you end up doing nothing at all. It's great, and I wouldn't mind seeing something similar in other games in a more mature form. By comparison, regular battles *always" have a perfect solution, and they are balanced around that. Missing the solution doesn't just mean you can't clear the battle (meaning you will be taking damage, and a hefty amount at that), but also reduces the damage you deal and the money you get at the end of the battle! If it was balanced around the idea that you're not expected to perfect-clear every encounter, because there isn't always a solution, you would reproduce some of what makes the boss battles fun.

Sort of related to the battle issue, it would have been nice if the accessory system was deeper, a la TTYD. How about choosing between an accessory that gives you extra ring moves, or another one that reduces damage from enemies in the farther rings? Or between an accessory that stuns foes that are moved 2 or more times, or another one that increases the damage of your attacks depending on how much time you had left? There's a world of possibilities there, and experimenting with accessory combinations would have helped keep battles fresh throughout the game. Not to mention they would have been a great reward for exploration, which is essentially non-existent in Origami King (the game is very linear and has essentially no sidequests). I mean, I enjoyed finding Toads more than I though I would, but the only gameplay rewards for exploration are consumables and a handful of HP up upgrades.

There are other comparatively minor things I could complain about, like the lack of interesting puzzles (mostly due to Mario's very limited moveset; only one chapter even attemps to have good puzzles, although even there the game is quick to point out the solutions), fixing Not-Bottomless Holes being pure busywork, Olivia not being a great choice for main companion, or the hamstrung structure of most chapters (compared to the wacky variety in TTYD or SPM). Chapter 1 in particular was so boring I was tempted to abandon the game altogether; luckily it picks up towards the end and stays engaging after that point.

Anyway, I am sounding very negative, but that's only because the bad parts (mostly the battle system) really hurt what would have otherwise been an amazing game. 
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 21 queries.