Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Coffers Question  (Read 2225 times)

LordBaphomet

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: LordBaphomet
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
Coffers Question
« on: May 13, 2020, 11:22:53 am »
+1

If I get coffers during my buy phase (e.g. silk merchant) am I allowed to cash them in immediately or do I have to wait a turn? What about during my action phase (e.g. Villain)?
Hail Satan, hail yourself!

Wizard_Amul

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
Re: Coffers Question
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 11:33:51 am »
+7

From the instructions: " In a player's Buy Phase, before buying any cards, that player may spend any number of Coin tokens." For your first question, you cannot spend a coffer after buying a silk merchant in your Buy Phase. It's helpful to think of the buy phase as really two phases: 1) Play treasures and spend coffers; 2) Buy cards. Once you leave the first buy phase section, you usually can't return (except for something like Villa or Cavalry).

For your second question, yes; you can spend any coffers you get in your action phase in the same turn's buy phase. There's nothing restricting that.

stechafle

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: stechafle
  • Respect: +97
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 04:44:32 pm »

It seems like Gamble doesn't fit the 2 parts buy phase concept. After you buy it you can get more coins to spend.

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 05:09:38 pm »
+2

It seems like Gamble doesn't fit the 2 parts buy phase concept. After you buy it you can get more coins to spend.

It still fits - Gamble doesn't allow you to arbitrarily play Treasure cards from your hand; you can only play what it tells you to play. Similar to, for example, Scepter, which, if you use it to replay an Action that gave you +coins, would also get you more to spend.

The key is what you *can* do by virtue of the phase vs. following a card's instructions.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 07:23:30 pm »

It still fits - Gamble doesn't allow you to arbitrarily play Treasure cards from your hand; you can only play what it tells you to play. Similar to, for example, Scepter, which, if you use it to replay an Action that gave you +coins, would also get you more to spend.

The key is what you *can* do by virtue of the phase vs. following a card's instructions.

Right. The actual rule is not “once you by a card, you cannot play more treasure cards.” Although it may be paraphrased that way, the rule says what you can do, not what you can’t do. “You may play treasure cards before you buy a card”. Then other things like card instructions could also allow you to play treasure cards at other times.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Dominionaer

• Golem
  • Respect: +66
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2020, 02:42:12 am »
+2

“You may play treasure cards before you buy a card”.

Wouldn't it be better phrased "You may play treasure cards before you buy anything"? (includes Events and Projects)

stechafle

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: stechafle
  • Respect: +97
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2020, 12:30:39 pm »
+1

I see now. I had misinterpreted the rule to mean you cannot accumulate any more coins to spend once you buy something. A better way to look at is, unless instructed, you may no longer play Treasures from your hand or turn in Coffers after you buy something during your Buy phase.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2020, 01:32:25 pm »

I see now. I had misinterpreted the rule to mean you cannot accumulate any more coins to spend once you buy something. A better way to look at is, unless instructed, you may no longer play Treasures from your hand or turn in Coffers after you buy something during your Buy phase.
That's almost right (there are one or two edge cases involving Black Market).
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2020, 05:58:44 am »

I think the best way to look at it is as three different phases - Action, Treasure, Buy. With the caveat that all things referring to the Buy phase would then refer to the Treasure or Buy phase.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2020, 11:49:17 am »

I think the best way to look at it is as three different phases - Action, Treasure, Buy. With the caveat that all things referring to the Buy phase would then refer to the Treasure or Buy phase.

Yes, I think the rulings, if not the actual rulebook, have clarified that there are sub-phases.

The Action Phase has the "start of turn" sub-phase and the "play your action cards" sub-phase.

The Buy Phase has the "play treasures" sub-phase and the "buy stuff" sub-phase.

The Cleanup Phase has the "discard everything" sub-phase and the "draw a new hand" sub-phase.

If I remember correctly, it was eventually ruled that buying a card from the Black Market with Capitalism in your "play treasures" sub-phase does not prevent you from spending coffers after that; so it's not "buying during your buy phase" that prevents you from playing coffers, but rather moving on from your "play treasures" sub-phase that prevents it.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 21 queries.