Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Best deck with no treasures?  (Read 1428 times)

GRB11

• Pawn
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
Best deck with no treasures?
« on: May 13, 2020, 10:20:37 am »
+3

I just got blasted by someone who built a Throne room/Vassal/Market engine after an early Chappel to trash. They bought zero treasures all game. By the end, they were playing their whole deck every turn for 3 provinces. No treasures ensured Vassal hit almost every time on the discard/play portion, throne room to vassal gave multiple discard/play's, and the money from multiple vassals or markets was enough to get up to double provinces fairly quickly. I imagine this would work with other cards too. Are there other well known combos that can work with no treasures?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Re: Best deck with no treasures?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 10:31:43 am »
+4

Welcome!

If you hang around and read a bunch of posts here, you'll learn that often treasure is weak, and a lot of decks function well with just actions that produce instead.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +385
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 11:43:42 am »
+2

A lot of megaturn style decks, especially with cost reduction, where you end the game in one turn ahead in victory points don't use treasures, and boards with King's Court basically require you to not use treasures for max efficiency. Silver is usually a solid opening if you need to get to key cards like cursing attacks that cost 5, though.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 11:56:46 am »

In Base Set only, the most notable case where you wouldn't want any Treasures at all is a Festival/Library engine, since the Treasures would just get in the way and make it harder to draw with Library. Other than that, you probably just want Treasures every game, because the payload in BSO is weak and some of the best ones like Merchant and Bandit either gain Treasures or require you to have Treasures in addition anyway, but the engine components and trashing are very strong, definitely enough to support a bunch of Treasures in your deck. With Throne Room and Chapel in the kingdom, it seems possible that putting together an engine with some Treasures in it would be faster than a Treasureless Vassal thing, depending on what else is available.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.49 seconds with 21 queries.