Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Clarifying playing the action with Toil  (Read 1577 times)

Willvon

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +168
    • View Profile
Clarifying playing the action with Toil
« on: May 08, 2020, 11:12:09 pm »

If I buy Toil and play an Action card that gives me an action, can I continue to play more Actions from my hand? It doesn’t say you are back in your Action phase. So I am guessing that I cannot.

However, am I correct in thinking that if I play an Action card with Toil that gives me virtual coin, though I can’t play more Treasures after buying an Event, I can use the money from the virtual coin in my next buy?

Finally, is it true that if the Action card that I play with Toil allows me to trash or exile a card from my hand, or is an Attack card, I could trash or attack because it it part of resolving that one action I have been allowed to play? But if it lets me draw cards, I basically cannot use the cards I have drawn since they would just be discarded at the end of my turn, right?

dz

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: DZ
  • Respect: +342
    • View Profile
Re: Clarifying playing the action with Toil
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 11:44:02 pm »
+2

If I buy Toil and play an Action card that gives me an action, can I continue to play more Actions from my hand? It doesn’t say you are back in your Action phase. So I am guessing that I cannot.

Correct, you're not in your Action phase, so you can't play more Actions.

However, am I correct in thinking that if I play an Action card with Toil that gives me virtual coin, though I can’t play more Treasures after buying an Event, I can use the money from the virtual coin in my next buy?

You can only use your $ this turn. So if you Toil a Festival, you only get to use the +Buy and +$2 this turn.

Finally, is it true that if the Action card that I play with Toil allows me to trash or exile a card from my hand, or is an Attack card, I could trash or attack because it it part of resolving that one action I have been allowed to play? But if it lets me draw cards, I basically cannot use the cards I have drawn since they would just be discarded at the end of my turn, right?

Yes you can still exile/trash/attack. If you draw Actions with Smithies, you can't play them (unless you do more Toiling).

DooWopDJ

• Golem
  • Respect: +62
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 05:17:37 pm »

So since I am still in my Buy phase, can I still use $$ (either virtual or not) that I have remaining from my previous Buy towards other Buys?

Ingix

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ingix
  • Respect: +424
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 06:21:48 pm »
+1

Sure you can use them. What would be the point of +Buy if you can't use money you generated before the first buy to pay for a second or further buy? Events like Borrow and Desperation are made to use that feature. Note that the buy phase has 2 sub-phases, in the first you play Treasure cards, in the second you buy things. So after you bought something, you can no longer play Treasures (as the game allowed action to play Treasures is limited to the first sub-phase). Only if some effect says so you can do it (like if you Toil a Crown).

And btw, the idea of "virtual" or "non-virtual" money is not useful. If you play an Action, it may generate money or it may not. If you play a Treasure card, it may generate money, or it may not. The money generated (if any) is absolutely the same. The only difference is that the percentage of "may not" is much higher for Actions than it is for Treasures.

DooWopDJ

• Golem
  • Respect: +62
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 10:07:54 pm »

That helps.  You also helped me ensure that we were following the 'cannot play additional treasures' that the Action card may have put into our hands.

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 10:13:12 pm »
+1

Note, that you would be able to play any Night cards you drew.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.