Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Considering Trader errata  (Read 14723 times)

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jonis20004
  • Respect: +95
    • View Profile
Re: Considering Trader errata
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2020, 10:02:36 am »

A card is "yours" if you are the owner of the physical set you are playing with.

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jonis20004
  • Respect: +95
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2020, 05:46:57 am »

I mean, just explain to him at the beginning of the game that exchanging isn't gaining. The only issue here is mid-game rules explanations.
Followed by them wondering why the card requires that extra special "exchange" rule in the first place instead of just say "gain". If you haven't played adventures or nocturne the mechanic looks like an unnecessary contrivance.

FWIW I think exchange makes sense on the traveler and vampire line. People can see that the card you're exchanging represents the same character and they can also understand the game design reasons for having the effect distinct from "gain". But when it attached to on-gain effects like changeling it starts to become confusing. Like, if you ironworks an action and exchange it for a silver, how many people are going to guess that you get +Action instead of  +$1? The old trader was confusing in this manner too, but man, this version doesn't fix that.

Anyway Donald, have you considered a version that just trashes the gained card to gain a silver?
That version could empty the silver pile into the trash with just one gain.

dz

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: DZ
  • Respect: +345
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2020, 06:04:32 am »
+2

I mean, just explain to him at the beginning of the game that exchanging isn't gaining. The only issue here is mid-game rules explanations.
Followed by them wondering why the card requires that extra special "exchange" rule in the first place instead of just say "gain". If you haven't played adventures or nocturne the mechanic looks like an unnecessary contrivance.

FWIW I think exchange makes sense on the traveler and vampire line. People can see that the card you're exchanging represents the same character and they can also understand the game design reasons for having the effect distinct from "gain". But when it attached to on-gain effects like changeling it starts to become confusing. Like, if you ironworks an action and exchange it for a silver, how many people are going to guess that you get +Action instead of  +$1? The old trader was confusing in this manner too, but man, this version doesn't fix that.

Anyway Donald, have you considered a version that just trashes the gained card to gain a silver?
That version could empty the silver pile into the trash with just one gain.

The obvious solution to that is to say "when you gain a card other than Silver." I also imagine that nowadays, Reactions would either discard (like Sleigh) or play themselves (like Sheepdog), instead of revealing themselves.

Trashing the card (just like how Watchtower does it) was considered.

That ability - mostly with different other halves - tried on different wordings. One issue with the non-would wordings was that, at the time, I didn't say "to" and so it ends up with two if-you-do's. "When you gain a card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, trash that card. If you do, gain a Silver."

But I mean, there's no interesting story here. I tried to get a good wording for the ability, that made interactions clear. I ended up with what you see in Hinterlands. It was a mistake but I didn't realize that in time.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 06:06:49 am by dz »
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.