Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Card printing specifications  (Read 2272 times)

TheCaveTroll

• Pawn
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
Card printing specifications
« on: April 29, 2020, 11:32:48 am »

I have some personal fan cards that I’m having a local printer create for my son and I to play with.

I have images of the fronts of the cards but lack a suitable hi-res image of the card back to use.

Can someone point me to such an image?

Also, what are the technical specifications of the cardstock used in the game. I have the proper card dimensions, but need to know on which Cardstock they should be printed.

Does anyone have experience with printing their own cards and have that information?

Thanks!

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
Re: Card printing specifications
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 03:31:10 pm »
+1

Pretty sure dominion cards are 320gsm black-core card stock, which is roughly the same as MtG cards; the core material is what gives it "snap", as opposed to "flex" on regular consumer-grade cardstock. They use a matte finish, although I can't tell you which or any specifications for that.

As far as card backs, surely you can get a scan of an existing dominion card? it's not going to be perfect but short of Jay from RGG or whoever did the layout (top of my head... Matthias something?) sending you the original art, it's probably as good as you'll get.

The fan card creation guide in the wiki has some resources for this.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 03:32:34 pm by spineflu »

TheCaveTroll

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 05:45:35 pm »

thank you.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 02:09:10 am »
+1

It's way easier (and cheaper) to print them on paper and put them in sleeves over blank cards or cards you don't often use.

TheCaveTroll

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 12:43:40 am »
+3

And it is even cheaper yet to create the cards in Tabletop Simulator and play there.

I'm trying that too to see which I like better.

Does anyone else play there with fan cards regularly?

Amuzet

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2020, 08:49:28 pm »

I play Legacy and Antiquities Fan expansions on there even have them scripted setup and scoring!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2020, 05:38:01 pm »
+2

As someone who used to make fan cards and now tests official cards, the best advice I can give you is not to spend a lot of money actually printing cards. Print on paper and slip it into the sleeves, like LibraryAdventurer suggests. Because a year or two down the road, Donald X. will make a card with either the same name or nearly the same function and you will want to change your cards. That's been my experience, anyway, and I'm glad I never sprung to have my cards printed in a print shop.

herw

• Golem
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2020, 03:13:55 am »

As someone who used to make fan cards and now tests official cards, the best advice I can give you is not to spend a lot of money actually printing cards. Print on paper and slip it into the sleeves, like LibraryAdventurer suggests. Because a year or two down the road, Donald X. will make a card with either the same name or nearly the same function and you will want to change your cards. That's been my experience, anyway, and I'm glad I never sprung to have my cards printed in a print shop.
don't agree - I have created many fan cards (see here: DOMINION Forum Fankarten) and it is much fun to play with them. There are many new ideas which Donald unfortunately never realized since years.
If you are in EU it is nice to let print on original size (SKAT-cards) with high quality: MEINSPIEL
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 03:35:01 am by herw »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.353 seconds with 20 queries.