Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Playing Durations with Emulators  (Read 1181 times)

MrSir712

• Pearl Diver
  • Shuffle iT Username: MrSir712
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
Playing Durations with Emulators
« on: April 25, 2020, 09:56:13 pm »

I am aware that if a card plays a Duraction card multiple times, that card stays out in play with the Duration (e.g. Throne Room+Merchant Ship). What happens if an Emulator plays a Duration?

I own Empires, which has the card Overlord, whose wording does not reflect the errata. My family and I simply play the Overlord by its old wording, since we own no other Command cards, so we assumed it would play as it normally would when playing the errata'd version. If something referred to Overlord's types, we simply made sure to include Command.

But after looking back we realized, wait, there is something different. Overlord plays a card and leaves it in the Supply. What we had been doing was obeying the rules as if Overlord was the card. For instance, if I play Overlord as Archive, Overlord would stay out in play with the set aside cards; it was an Archive. What would I do with the new errata'd Overlord? If I play Overlord on an Archive in the Supply, do the set-aside cards go on the Archive in the Supply? Do I set them aside elsewhere?

And in general, when an emulated card refers to itself, what happens? I play Overlord+Mining Village, I choose to trash "it"; do I trash a Mining Village from the Supply, trash the Overlord, or trash nothing at all and get no +$2? The wiki pages are doing no good for me.

dz

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: DZ
  • Respect: +342
    • View Profile
Re: Playing Durations with Emulators
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 10:10:36 pm »
+1

But after looking back we realized, wait, there is something different. Overlord plays a card and leaves it in the Supply. What we had been doing was obeying the rules as if Overlord was the card. For instance, if I play Overlord as Archive, Overlord would stay out in play with the set aside cards; it was an Archive. What would I do with the new errata'd Overlord? If I play Overlord on an Archive in the Supply, do the set-aside cards go on the Archive in the Supply? Do I set them aside elsewhere?

Cards you set aside with Archive and Cargo Ship aren't actually set aside on anywhere specific. You just set them aside. Those cards say "set aside on this" to be helpful for the common case. Anyways, Overlord playing Archive works as normal. IRL, I would recommend putting the set aside cards where you can remember them.

Cargo Ship is just being helpful; you set aside a card, and if you have that Cargo ship in play as you usually do, that's a good place to put the set-aside card.

And in general, when an emulated card refers to itself, what happens? I play Overlord+Mining Village, I choose to trash "it"; do I trash a Mining Village from the Supply, trash the Overlord, or trash nothing at all and get no +$2? The wiki pages are doing no good for me.

When you play Mining Village (or other one-shots), they expect themselves to be in play. If it's not in play, they can't move themselves. So with Mining Village, you can't trash it for +$2, since MV isn't in play. But with Encampment, you get +2 Cards +2 Actions, and you don't set it aside, because Encampment isn't in play.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 10:17:06 pm by dz »

Ingix

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ingix
  • Respect: +424
    • View Profile
Re: Playing Durations with Emulators
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 04:10:51 am »
+1

I own Empires, which has the card Overlord, whose wording does not reflect the errata. My family and I simply play the Overlord by its old wording, since we own no other Command cards, so we assumed it would play as it normally would when playing the errata'd version. If something referred to Overlord's types, we simply made sure to include Command.

Your main point of misunderstanding is that the Command type being added to Overlord was the main point of the errata. It's not, that was an "afterthought" after it was realized that the previous version of the errata allowed infinite combos.

The main point of the errata was that instead of Overlord "becoming" another card, it would play that other other card from the Supply, but leave it there. That kept Overlord an Overlord, but still had the effect that another card was played.

Like for Throne Rooms and Durations, there is also a rule that if an Overlord plays a Duration, it stays out as long as the Duration would. In case of Archive, it would stay out for as long as the Archive would, so normally for your next 2 turns. The Overlord in play should remind you that you have a Duration effect, because the Duration card itself (the Archive) can't remind you of that (it isn't in play), as it normally would. So I would personally put the cards set aside with Archive under /next to the Overlord.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 20 queries.