Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Custom Card: Aviary  (Read 1522 times)

bargainingspice

• Herbalist
  • Shuffle iT Username: mathraccoon51
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
Custom Card: Aviary
« on: April 16, 2020, 06:16:02 pm »
+1

So this is a card idea I came up with: this is a card that comes with a pile of 10 to 50 cards (like Ruins but they're good...). The pile is chosen from 50 cards. 50 distinct cards (actually 54 since one starts a Traveller chain). There are 10 copies of Aviary like normal, but only 1 copy of each of the 54 bird cards (which are not in the supply) as follows:

https://imgur.com/a/7R1eiG7

Loosely inspired by the board game Wingspan. Also, all images that are not credited on the card are from the Audubon Society (audubon.org) or the website of one of its regional chapters. All cards were generated using this image generator: https://shardofhonor.github.io/dominion-card-generator/index.html

Is this a good idea? A terrible idea? Are my bird cards overpowered? Underpowered? Let me know in the comments!
I have the same avatar as another user. Sorry. There are only finitely many cards. And as someone who is very bad at drawing birds I've always felt this was one of the best card pictures.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Card: Aviary
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 06:20:11 pm »

Initial impression: catbird is way too brutal if you reveal a province
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1353
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 05:52:10 am »

some of these are way overpowered (the trashing attacks, etc) and some would be a pain to work on the set up instructions - do you peek before the game to see if you need the reserve mats? do you just always include everything? - but the only real underpowered/underwhelming one I saw was Rhea - maybe give it +2 Buys?

that said this is a really neat idea.

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +385
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 10:39:39 am »
+1

50 with all uniques seems extremely swingy and hard to balance, Black Market at least makes you pay for the card. Why do the Birds scale? It would make more sense to have a static number, similar to black market, and maybe even just have 20 or 30 and use all of them every time. The concept is interesting, though. It feels like a promo.
Albatross doesn't need a dividing line, those are for effects unrelated to playing the card.
Bluejay can probably be a regular peddler, as that's a $4.5 effect and that's the price point most of these seem balanced at.
Bluebird is good, the reaction seems like it could be a card.
Catbird should have a pricing and/or type restriction.
Chickadee seems fine, although weak, since it only loses them a card or gives them one piece of junk.
With Crane the reaction is odd, but interesting, and the on play is good. Maybe too weak on the reaction side?
Dove is really good at shutting down attacks, it might make them non-viable or be centralizing.
Eagle is good.
Why does Falcon curse you? Self junkers are unpopular if they don't give you a way to deal with the junk, like Death Cart.
Finch is quite interesting.
Flamingo needs a dividing line.
Goose is pretty interesting as an attack.
Grackle is odd if it hits a good card, then it's bad. Can be political if you hit a victory card.
Grosbeak is very interesting.
Heron has no tracking.
Hummingbird is fairly good as a concept.
Ibis might be too important, cantrip cursing is really that good.
Junco is good.
Kingbird is definitely very underpowered, and is usually worse than great hall, because you're self-junking.
Lark is usually a Lab.
Loon is conceptually sound, but needs to be rephrased to match Crown.
Why does lyrebird reveal two but only take one?
Macaw has strange phrasing, it doesn't need to say distinct.
Mockingbird does need to be a command, plus it's often a Superlab, which is an issue, if any moat variant is the cheapest, it's a superlab.
Nightingale needs to be slightly rephrased to match Werewolf because of things like Scepter and some Menagrie events that play the card in the buy phase.
Nuthatch is quite interesting.
Oriole is too easy to activate.
Ostrich is unclear, does each player include yourself? It doesn't say each other player.
Owl needs a similar rephrase to Nightingale, cantrip boons were cut from Nocturne because of slowness.
Penguin is pretty interesting, but there are non +Card ways to draw, i.e. Scrying Pool and Envoy.
Puffin is a bit weak? It's pretty much worse than Owl.
Quail is fine.
Raven can hit Provinces, it needs a cost range.
Rhea is quite weak, especially if you can't trash it. Maybe make it a Market.
Extra turns are very strong, and the fact that birds are uniques makes Roadrunner very swingy.
Robin is pretty cool.
Shrike doesn't seem very cohesive.
Sparrow is quite weak in comparison to the many similar cards.
Starling is simple, but nice.
Stork is a bit of an odd bird (ha) but I like it.
Swallow is underpowered in comparison to Advisor, which is at the same price point.
Swan shouldn't hit victories.
Tanager might not play well? It forces you to have a dead card to gain it.
Titmouse, like Nuthatch, is nice.
Vireo needs a rephrase like Crown the dividing line is uneeded.
Vulture needs a way to put cards in the trash.
Warbler is interesting, but weak.
Woodpecker is a bit weak.
Wren is extremely interesting.
The Baby Chick line is interesting, but the power of the final stage and the fact that only one person has access to it is very swingy.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 08:00:01 pm »
+1

I like that Roadrunner gives you infinite turns with Scout.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

bargainingspice

• Herbalist
  • Shuffle iT Username: mathraccoon51
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 12:31:50 pm »

In response to D782802859's comments I would probably make the following modifications to these cards (disclaimer: I have not had the chance to playtest them...)

-Remove the dividing line from Albatross
-Specify "non-victory card" in Catbird
-Remove "to their hand" in Chickadee
-Replace 11 with 8 in Crane (as there is no guaranteed source of +Buy)
-Gain a Copper instead of a Curse in Falcon
-Heron (to fix tracking) should say "Set aside a card from your hand. At the start of your next turn, trash it and then +1 Action per $1 it costs".
-Ibis: the victim should trash any card, not just a Curse or Estate
-Make gaining an estate optional in Kingfisher
-Mockingbird should be a Command
-"and if it's your action phase" should be "otherwise" in Nightingale
-Ostrich should say "each other player"
-Owl replaces the night clause with "otherwise", in contrast to Nightingale
-Penguin should be rephrased as "For the rest of this turn, when you draw a card, put it on top of your deck."
-Rhea should say "You may trash this to gain a bird."
-Roadrunner should say "keeping this in play" so you don't draw your deck and play infinite Roadrunners.
-Remove "gain an Estate" from Shrike
-Redo Swallow completely so that you draw the less expensive card and discard the more expensive one (you can pick if they are the same cost)
-Tanager goes from 4 to 5VP
-Put 2 Silvers per player in the trash if Vulture is in play

Thank you.
I have the same avatar as another user. Sorry. There are only finitely many cards. And as someone who is very bad at drawing birds I've always felt this was one of the best card pictures.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 20 queries.