Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: IsoDom: Challenge Rules  (Read 19410 times)

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
IsoDom: Challenge Rules
« on: March 21, 2012, 07:34:49 pm »
+1

Weekly Matches

The IsoDom: Challenge threads will be updated every week with match-ups, current point totals and the weekly theme.  Each match will consist of seven games under the following restrictions:

1) Point counter encouraged
2) Exactly 6 cards, chosen at random, in each game must belong to the current week's expansion, using the excellent option to filter cards in Isotropic
3) First player position in first game shall be chosen randomly, losing player plays first afterward.  In event of a tie, random.  We will use the honor system to enforce this; to ensure a random placement make sure to exit and restart Isotropic before the first game and after subsequent ties.
4)The tournament will be scored as follows:  each win will be worth 2 Tournament Points, each tie 1, each loss 0.
5) Players report the outcomes of each match, including scores of each game and optional commentary to the weekly tournament thread.
6) After seven weeks, the player in each group with the most Tournament Points will advance to the Bracket Championship.  In the case of a tie between two players, a First to Four Wins match will be held to determine who advances.  In the unlikely event that more than two players have a share in the lead, a Multiplayer First to Three Wins match will be held to determine who advances.

Bracket Championship:

The top four finishers, one from each group, will play a five game match to determine the winner of each bracket.  These will be four player games scored 3-2-1-0.  In the case of a tie in Match Points between two players who have the lead after five games, those two players will hold a two player match (first player to win four games), to determine the winner.   In the unlikely case of a tie in Match Points between more than two players who have the lead after five games, those players will hold a multiplayer match (first player to win three games), to determine the winner.

IsoDom: Challenge Championship Final:

The winner of both brackets will play a first to five match to determine who is named IsoDom: Challenge Champion.

Drop-Outs:

Any Drop-outs will be treated as <i>unpersons</i>: none of their games will count, and any unplayed games will be replaced with a bye.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 01:33:31 am by Mean Mr Mustard »
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

zxcvbn2

• Golem
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
Re: IsoDom: Challenge Rules
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 07:41:12 pm »

So just to clarify: This is not a best of seven against an opponent, but seven games played against an opponent trying to amass the most wins possible, correct?
One Day Cup II Champion: qmech III: Rabid IV: Qvist

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 07:43:05 pm »

Correct.
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 10:29:10 pm »

Another clarification, are we playing with exactly 6 base cards, or at least 6 base cards? I imagine some people would definitely prefer one to the other, and I can read your rule on it both ways.

CoheedandCambria

• Baron
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 10:41:41 pm »

Are we allowed to play veto mode(unallowed to veto the 6 chosen cards)? Idk if that's possible when you require cards

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 10:44:10 pm »
+1

@Fabian: <i>exactly 6</i>

@CoheedandCambria: Veto is not allowed.

Brando Commando

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +112
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 11:04:32 pm »

So just to clarify: This is not a best of seven against an opponent, but seven games played against an opponent trying to amass the most wins possible, correct?

1. You said this was correct, but I guess I'm not seeing the implications of this question. Would somebody explain what this means and why it's an issue?

2. What happens if the best-of-seven in any given match-up results in 3 to one person, 3 to the other, and a tied game?

3. Assuming that ties in the best of seven just force an eighth game -- which would be fine by me -- or more games, won't that to favor people who play multiple tied games by giving them lots of tournament points? Also, does the tournament point system mean that we need to play seven games, even if the first four games are decisive, just so later ties can be determined?

Thanks for setting this up, I just want to know what to expect going in...especially if I have to play all seven games regardless of the early outcomes.

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 11:15:29 pm »

Best of seven means you could play 4 games, win all of them, and the match is done. This tournament is not played best of seven; you play seven games no matter what, and win X points based on how you do in those 7 games. If the score after 7 games is 3-3-1, both players would get 7 points for the match (2 * 3 + 1 * 1 + 0 * 3 for 3 wins, 1 draw, 3 losses). There's no need for an 8th game since it's no problem if the 7 games end in a tie overall.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 12:25:38 am »

@Fabian: <i>exactly 6</i>

@CoheedandCambria: Veto is not allowed.

Thanks, I didn't realize either of these things. Since veto is forbidden, I assume it's also forbidden to decline the random selection of 10 cards? (Assuming there wasn't any mistake with the game settings.)

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 12:51:29 am »

@blueblimp: That is correct.  Keep it clean, guys.

Tonks77

• Scout
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 06:39:18 am »

2) Exactly 6 cards, chosen at random, in each game must belong to the current week's expansion, using the excellent option to filter cards in Isotropic

Maybe a stupid question, but how exactly do I set up a game with exactly 6 random cards from a given expansion? Is this how the "bias selection towards..." boxes work, so I choose "bias selection towards Base" in the 1st week? Up until now I usually used to play random games from all cards, so I am not so familiar with the filter options of Isotropic.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 08:28:17 am »

Below the list of players in the lobby there is a card selection constraints option. Add a row and make it from 6 to 6 cards with tag set=base.

zxcvbn2

• Golem
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 01:42:42 pm »
+1

I'm confused. With the top four finishers in each group, that gives 32 total players and 8 players left for the final. Are there two different finals, one for each bracket, or am I missing something here?
One Day Cup II Champion: qmech III: Rabid IV: Qvist

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 01:50:51 pm »

When there's 8 players left that's when the two Regionals are played.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 02:06:13 pm »

Now I'm completely confused about the tournament structure.

The way I thought it worked: in each of the two brackets, there would be one winner from each of the four groups, decided by tournament points and possibly a best-of-7 tiebreaker series. There would be two 4-player series to decide the advancers from the two brackets, and among those two players, somehow one would be crowned the winner of the tournament. (Obviously this doesn't make sense, since the final is supposed to be 4-player.) The progression of player counts would be 64 -> 8 -> 2 -> 1.

Re-reading, it sounds more like: in each of the two brackets, and in each of the four groups in that bracket, the top four players from that group play a 4-player series, from which one player advances. Then in each bracket, the surviving players play a 4-player series, from which one player advances. But then how is the winner of the tournament selected from the surviving two players? The progression of player counts would be 64 -> 32 -> 8 -> 2.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2012, 02:24:01 pm »

I think the confusion comes from the fact that MMM stated that only the winners of the Regional match would go to Finals, but I think he means the top 2 from each regional match because otherwise the final would only have 2 players, but he clearly states its four player. If that's the case I'm pretty sure it goes 64 -> 8 -> 4.

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2012, 03:11:38 pm »

To Clarify:  The top four finishers in each group will play a five game match to determine a group winner.  This will be a four player game scored 3-2-1-0.  In the case of a tie in Match Points between two players who have the lead after five games, those two players will hold a two player match (first player to win two games), to determine who will advance.   In the unlikely case of a tie in Match Points between more than two players who have the lead after five games, those players will hold a multiplayer match (first player to win two games), to determine who will advance.

Clear now?

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2012, 03:49:19 pm »

To check, this means that there are eight of these four-player matches held, one for each group?

OK so far, but where do those players advance to?

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2012, 04:37:29 pm »

Do the top players from Kirian's Bracket play the top players from MMM's Bracket?

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2012, 11:40:59 pm »

Okay, guys.  Let me first say that I have no other experience in organizing tournaments outside of these forums, and each IsoDom has been a learning experience.  I started doing these because no else was, so bear with me.  I realize I am a little bush league.

So, I hope this is the final tweak on format.

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2012, 11:49:59 pm »

I thought I understood the rules and format perfectly well, but now I'm getting confused/scared.. the winner of each group will be determined by total number of match points between the group stage AND regionals, right? Not just from the 5 game multiplayer match. Right?

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2012, 11:58:00 pm »

Hmmmm, interesting proposition.  Are you saying that points earned during 2P should apply along with group stage points to determine the bracket champ?

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2012, 11:58:08 pm »

No problem, I wouldn't worry about it now except for the simulation. :)

My impression is that the match points from the 4-player games are counted separately from the earlier tournament points. (Otherwise it'd be a real mess to weight the different portions of the tournament appropriately.)

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2012, 12:01:52 am »

That was the original intention, blimp, but now I see how an argument could be made for considering all tourney points scored in determining the bracket winner.

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2012, 12:12:52 am »

I wish you would reconsider that MMM, it ruins the tournament completely and I might as well drop out. Spending 7 weeks on playing games that are ultimately entirely pointless (call me arrogant but I don't need a simulator to know I'm 98+% to end in the top 4 of 7 players over 42 games) just so I can play five 4-player games? If there's no incentive to actually do well in the group stage, then where's the fun in playing?

Edit: To expand a bit on my thoughts, at first I thought we were playing 42 games to determine the winner (top 1) out of 7 players, and the winners of each group would play a multiplayer final. That, to me, was a perfect format, 42 games is plenty to determine the winner out of 7 players, and (obviously) the games actually matter. 42 games to determine the top 4 of 7 players with the results ultimately being pointless, though? Just ugh. The possibility didn't even enter my mind until just now. The challenge (to me, anyway, but I would have thought nearly everyone would have agreed before realizing the current tournament format) is fighting for the top spot of the group, not fighting for, you know, the 4th spot out of 7.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 12:21:21 am by Fabian »
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.