Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII Remake  (Read 2548 times)

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
Final Fantasy VII Remake
« on: April 09, 2020, 10:27:44 pm »

Antybody else staring at their screen waiting for the launch timer to count down to 0?
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VII Remake
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 11:57:04 pm »

Annoyed that they aren’t putting it on Switch; instead I just recently bought regular FF7 for the Switch. I’ve actually never played it before.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2020, 11:20:43 pm »

Annoyed that they aren’t putting it on Switch; instead I just recently bought regular FF7 for the Switch. I’ve actually never played it before.

Looks like they're going to end up being extremely different games, so at least you're not buying an strictly inferior product.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 05:37:32 pm »

Definitely considering doing this myself. I know little about it other than it's extremely highly regarded. So far I've only played FF4 and FF10, and both were decent but neither really grabbed my attention like many others RPGs have done.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 02:19:29 pm »

I don't intend to play it, at least not anytime soon (no PS4), but I am curious about how they handle the story and the characters.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 02:24:55 pm »
+1

Definitely considering doing this myself. I know little about it other than it's extremely highly regarded. So far I've only played FF4 and FF10, and both were decent but neither really grabbed my attention like many others RPGs have done.

I also both X+X2 for Switch; haven't played it yet. VIII is my favorite; and one of my all-time favorite games. It's a somewhat controversial title due to the ways in which it differs from most other entries; but that's one of the reasons I like it so much. I'm not a huge fan of J-RPGs in general, so the changes work well for me. And you can get it remastered for the Switch.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 02:34:14 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 01:45:39 pm »

I also both X+X2 for Switch; haven't played it yet. VIII is my favorite; and one of my all-time favorite games. It's a somewhat controversial title due to the ways in which it differs from most other entries; but that's one of the reasons I like it so much. I'm not a huge fan of J-RPGs in general, so the changes work well for me. And you can get it remastered for the Switch.

Oh yeah I've been meaning to finish X-2.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2020, 02:11:25 pm »

I'm getting close to finishing Remake now. My one constant thought/surprise as I've been playing it is that... knowing (or hearing) going in that they've "added so much more" to the story to fill it out.... just how much it feels like the original brought to life to today's standards. There's rarely a time I'm ever sitting there going "Well, this didn't happen in the original" - and in the few cases where I am, either the events unfolding are overlain on top of a pre-existing original event (so you're not "going" and "doing" something new), or the "change" feels like it's inserted at a natural progression point that happens/plays out while you're moving from one original event to another.

The end result is that as a player, I very much feel like I'm playing through the original game, and that SquareEnix hasn't gone in and butchered it in an attempt lengthen things out. There are TONS of new things that didn't exist in the original, some more vital to the ongoing story than others, but they don't bog down the game, they don't detract from the original story, and they definitely don't leave me feeling like I'm playing a different game. Every key moment, every non-essential sequence, really what feels like every step of the original game still feel like they're here. There's just more layered in and around.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2021, 11:22:41 pm »
+2

So we started FFVII original (for Switch) a few weeks ago. Pretty fun, but I'm finding that we have to use guides almost constantly to avoid missing things. And not just for that, but to understand a lot about the way things work.

I suppose FF games in general don't fit in well with our usual video game playstyle, which is to do everything you can do in a game. There are a lot of things that you can permanently miss if you aren't careful, and a lot of other things where you can only see or do one out of many possible options. Even with the party selection itself; with Cloud plus 8 other characters of which you can only choose 2 at a time, you would have to grind for 4 times longer than normal if you wanted to actually level up every character. We don't plan to max out more than 3 total characters, but it would have been nice to at least get each character's final limit break.

Of course the games weren't built for that, they expect you to play and do whatever set of things you happen to come across, and if you want to see different things, then play again and make different choices. But still, having fun. The story is pretty good even if pretty confusing. And the music is great.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 21 queries.