Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: Decrypto 3  (Read 12656 times)

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
Re: Decrypto 3
« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2020, 01:27:18 pm »

Other team, come post your QT, I wanna know what your words were.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2020, 03:50:01 pm »

You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2020, 04:38:36 pm »

Do we want to play again? This game got a bit sluggish at the end...
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2020, 05:10:28 pm »

It does seem to get a little sluggish, and last round, but I would play again.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

ghostofmars

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2020, 02:08:33 am »

I would play again if we introduce some time limits. For guessing ~48h should be fine. I'm not sure what can be done about the clue giving. My feeling was that we started to over-engineer the clues, which takes a bit the fun out of guessing. Anyone has a clever idea?

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2020, 11:11:53 am »

I think I'm going to take a bit of a break from this.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: Swowl
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2020, 02:43:43 pm »

I am in. I think Galz mentioned they would like to take a run at it too.

However, yes Time limits should be applied in some fashion.

Maybe like 48 hours, discluding weekends or something?
Jesus how did i fuck that up
real good. That’s how
Town:  14 wins, 14 losses (1 MVP)
Skum: 7 wins, 7 losses (1 MVP)
3-Party: 4 wins, 1 loss

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 19, 2020, 03:31:12 pm »

Let's have Galz replace faust and then maybe mix up the teams just for fun.

ghost, bitwise, you in?

He/him

ghostofmars

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2020, 02:43:50 am »

yes

bitwise

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2020, 02:55:31 am »

Count me in. I would like a time limit as well.

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2020, 03:29:36 pm »

ok well while we wait on captain slow poke... *throws a shoe at Galz*... what do we want to do about the time restrictions?

Like...
Round 1: Game starts -> 48 hours for clue giver to give clues -> 48 hours for guessers to guess

Round 2+: 48 hours for clue giver to give clues -> 48 hours for opponent guesses -> additional 24 hours for same team guesses?

- Clue giver's clues are due in thread within 48 hours.
- Interception guesses due  48 hours after clue post deadline.
- Miscommunication guesses due 24 hours after Interception deadline.

*The above is good for the clue giver because it always allows them 48 hours of isolated time to come up with their hints.
**We could just make Miscommunication and Interception DLs at the same time... would that be easier?

what yall think?
real good. That’s how

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2020, 03:35:46 pm »

In terms of timeline it would be easy to keep track I guess.

Like just say either every game we cycle an assigned "Time Keeper" or we can make it the job each round of the Clue Givers.... but essentially, whenever a phase starts we just come up with a template and it goes into the thread. Something like:

- Deadline for Clues to be posted in thread are due by someday at sometime FT.
- Deadline for Interception guesses to be posted in thread are due by someday at sometime FT.

or even just super generic: Next deadline is Someday at Sometime FT.

more just because I think it would be nice to have the handy reference point in the thread updated and all so no one accidentally misses.

Speaking of which we would have to decide how serious we want the rules to be:
- What happens if someone misses deadline? Do they just lose the opportunity to guess that round? Do they get a token? Should we implement a time token?
- Also, just my two cents, I think that at the start of any given round... if someone is the clue giver and they know they are VLA coming up or just super busy... I think extensions should kind of be given upon request, as long as they don't get carried away.
real good. That’s how

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 20, 2020, 03:36:39 pm »

Oh - didn’t realize it was over. Sure, in.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 20, 2020, 04:25:49 pm »

Like just say either every game we cycle an assigned "Time Keeper" or we can make it the job each round of the Clue Givers.... but essentially, whenever a phase starts we just come up with a template and it goes into the thread. Something like:

- Deadline for Interception guesses to be posted in thread are due by someday at sometime FT.

more just because I think it would be nice to have the handy reference point in the thread updated and all so no one accidentally misses.

- What happens if someone misses deadline? Do they just lose the opportunity to guess that round? Do they get a token? Should we implement a time token?
- Also, just my two cents, I think that at the start of any given round... if someone is the clue giver and they know they are VLA coming up or just super busy... I think extensions should kind of be given upon request, as long as they don't get carried away.

Yeah it's tricky. I think for no-downside guesses (I.e. interception attempts) there's no penalty for failing to guess other than losing your chance to intercept. But for same-team guesses where a wrong guess would earn you a token, failing to guess should count as a wrong guess. I would love to give one warning, but the problem is then teams could start using their warning strategically to skip a guess when they aren't sure.

So I would suggest this: For guessing the other team's clue, no penalty for failing to guess. For guessing your own team's clue, the first time you get an automatic 24-hour extension with a warning. After that it counts as a wrong guess. That seems fair and generous.

I think for simplicity sake there should be one 48-hour deadline for both guesses. And I agree that extensions asked for IN ADVANCE should be honored on request.

He/him

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 20, 2020, 04:50:09 pm »

Yeah it's tricky. I think for no-downside guesses (I.e. interception attempts) there's no penalty for failing to guess other than losing your chance to intercept. But for same-team guesses where a wrong guess would earn you a token, failing to guess should count as a wrong guess. I would love to give one warning, but the problem is then teams could start using their warning strategically to skip a guess when they aren't sure.

So I would suggest this: For guessing the other team's clue, no penalty for failing to guess. For guessing your own team's clue, the first time you get an automatic 24-hour extension with a warning. After that it counts as a wrong guess. That seems fair and generous.

I think for simplicity sake there should be one 48-hour deadline for both guesses. And I agree that extensions asked for IN ADVANCE should be honored on request.

When exactly does the clock for submitting guesses start?

An example (assuming this is round 2)
Day 1: 00:01: Round starts, 48 hour timer for clue giving ends Day 3 00:01
Day 1: 12:30: Team 1gives their clue
Day 2: 11:30: Team 2 gives their clue

Option 1: 48 hour timer for clue guessing ends Day 5 00:01 (starts when clue giving timer ends)
Option 2: 48 hour timer for clue guessing ends Day 4 11:30 (starts when both clues are given)
Option 3: 48 hour timers for clue guessing ends Day 3 12:30 / Day 4: 11:30 (starts individually for when each clue is given)

I think we can rule out 3 as too complicated. But I could see arguments for both 1 and 2.

One thing about the window the same for both clues is that you really shouldn't post your clue for your team until the other team guesses first. So we may actually need a separate timer after that posts. Not critical as I don't think of any of us are into shenanigans, but say you wait until the end of the 48 hours, that shouldn't make you default on your team's guess. (or feel you have to post it first.

So I would stick with the two separate. 48 hours timer for intercept clues, then 24 hours additional for your team's clues.

^^^ this would be an argument for windows starting ASAP, i.e. when both clues are given or when both intercepts are given, etc.

Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 20, 2020, 10:43:09 pm »

That sounds fine to me.

He/him

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 21, 2020, 03:37:21 pm »

OK Summarizing it up before we start then:

1) Timers
 - Round 1 will start when everyone checks in and we pick a day/time to start. From there, 48 hours for clues to be posted, followed by 48 hours for guesses to be posted.
 - Round 2 (and beyond) will start at the time that Round 1 ends. From there, 48 hours for Interception guesses to be posted, followed by an ADDITIONAL 24 hours for Team guesses.
 - Timers will be posted as a community effort. Let's all just work together on this one to try and make it happen.

2) Rules
 - If you miss posting your Interception guess, there is no penalty, you just do not get the chance to intercept.
 - The first time you mis your Same Team guess, your team will be given an extension of 24 hours. After that, it counts as a miscommunication token.
 - If you know you will need more time, please just state so at the beginning of the round (or before) and we will deal with it case-by-case.

Everyone in agreement?

If yes, and we want to scramble teams, lmk and I can rando.org it and we can get rolling :)
real good. That’s how

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 21, 2020, 03:38:44 pm »

oh and I guess important.

I agree with the others - Timers should reset when the last team to get that phases post in posts to thread. Alternative would be to run the timer our each time, but I don't really see the point in that.
real good. That’s how

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 21, 2020, 04:01:55 pm »

Great! One other suggestion for community effort, we establish order for each team before game start (part of the randomization is fine by me) and then we cna help remind each other. I don't want either team to lose valuable time by not realize who's turn it is.

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 21, 2020, 06:05:20 pm »

Great! One other suggestion for community effort, we establish order for each team before game start (part of the randomization is fine by me) and then we cna help remind each other. I don't want either team to lose valuable time by not realize who's turn it is.

Word. Good idea.
real good. That’s how

ghostofmars

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 22, 2020, 01:41:04 am »

- Timers will be posted as a community effort. Let's all just work together on this one to try and make it happen.
Isn't it simpler that whenever an action is taken that updates a timer the person taking that action also post the updated timer? So:
- Post clue and set timer for 48h for opponent team to intercept.
- Post interception attempt and set timer for 24h for team to guess.
- First team reveals miscommunication/interception -> no new timer.
- Second team reveals miscommunication/interception and set timer 48h for next clue from both teams. State the name of the players that should give the next clue.

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 23, 2020, 12:59:59 am »

Isn't it simpler that whenever an action is taken that updates a timer the person taking that action also post the updated timer? So:
- Post clue and set timer for 48h for opponent team to intercept.
- Post interception attempt and set timer for 24h for team to guess.
- First team reveals miscommunication/interception -> no new timer.
- Second team reveals miscommunication/interception and set timer 48h for next clue from both teams. State the name of the players that should give the next clue.

word actually I like that. takes like almost no extra effort and keeps things streamlined.

Everyone good?
real good. That’s how

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 23, 2020, 01:28:52 pm »

I'm ok with anything at this point. :)

But just to be clear, the way I read this last, was it would be separate timers for each set of clues. Did I read that correctly?

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 23, 2020, 07:03:08 pm »

separate as in refreshing... not as in separate for each team.

one universal timer that starts at the beginning of every new phase.

I think.
real good. That’s how

ghostofmars

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 24, 2020, 05:52:37 am »

I had indeed thought of a separate timer for each team to intercept. Just to avoid creating an incentive to delay posting your clue.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 20 queries.