Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Inheritance rules contradiction; also Inheritance + reserve cards  (Read 1046 times)

Long Con

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile

There seems to be a rules contradiction in the DominionStrategy Wiki for Inheritance.

In the "Unofficial FAQ for Current Version", it states:

Estates do not copy the abilities or types of the set aside card; they just play it. Therefore they do not trigger abilities of the card below the dividing line that do not happen when playing the card, like gaining another Port when buying a Port...

Below, in the "Official FAQ for Prior Version", it states:

...if you used Inheritance on a Port and then later bought an Estate, that Estate would come with a Port, just as buying a Port gains you a Port.

So, which is it?

Also, how does Inheritance work with Reserve cards?  I used Inheritance with Duplicate on Dominion Online, and when I play the Estate, it reads as playing a Duplicate in the Log, but they don't go to my Tavern Mat, and I can't Duplicate anything. 

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1351
    • View Profile
Re: Inheritance rules contradiction; also Inheritance + reserve cards
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 11:15:17 am »
+1

There seems to be a rules contradiction in the DominionStrategy Wiki for Inheritance.

In the "Unofficial FAQ for Current Version", it states:

Estates do not copy the abilities or types of the set aside card; they just play it. Therefore they do not trigger abilities of the card below the dividing line that do not happen when playing the card, like gaining another Port when buying a Port...

Below, in the "Official FAQ for Prior Version", it states:

...if you used Inheritance on a Port and then later bought an Estate, that Estate would come with a Port, just as buying a Port gains you a Port.

So, which is it?

Also, how does Inheritance work with Reserve cards?  I used Inheritance with Duplicate on Dominion Online, and when I play the Estate, it reads as playing a Duplicate in the Log, but they don't go to my Tavern Mat, and I can't Duplicate anything.

No contradiction.  The "current version" and the "prior version" are a change in rules.  With the current version, an Estate is still an Estate - it doesn't become another card, it just plays another card.  If that card tries to move itself, e.g., trashing itself or putting itself on the Tavern mat, it doesn't move.  Therefore, Inheritance does not allow you to use any of the abilities of Reserve cards that come from calling it, so Duplicate is pretty much useless with Inheritance, nor does it allow you to do anything that requires self-trashing such as Pillage (but cards with no "If you do" clause work just fine, e.g., an Inherited Acting Troupe can still give you 4 Villagers, and then fail to trash itself).  It's also useless for cards whose primary use is a below-the-line ability, e.g., if you Inherit Highway, it becomes just a simple cantrip, with no cost reduction
They/them

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
Re: Inheritance rules contradiction; also Inheritance + reserve cards
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 03:26:24 pm »
+6

The word "current" in "current version", versus the word "prior" in "prior version", implies that the two sets of rules, or versions, are not the same. Of course they contradict - that's the consequence of changing the rules.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.