Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: RIP IRL  (Read 8716 times)

stechafle

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: stechafle
  • Respect: +97
    • View Profile
RIP IRL
« on: April 03, 2020, 03:34:39 pm »
+7

I miss playing Dominion in person.  :-\

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3189
    • View Profile
Re: RIP IRL
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 03:50:51 pm »
+5

You can play dominion in person? :o

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 04:26:08 pm »

right after i sleeved everything too :/

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 06:06:14 pm »
+1

Jokes on you guys, the only person that ever plays with me irl lives with me.
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 07:45:05 pm »
+7

Oh wow. The world is in such a state that the title of this thread made me fear a far darker subject matter. /-8

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2020, 10:11:01 pm »

Jokes on you guys, the only person that ever plays with me irl lives with me.

Not the only person for me, but I do play with my family.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2020, 10:08:51 am »
+1

I shudder at the thought of truly randomize a card for Way of the Mouse without help of a computer.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2020, 10:37:07 am »
+7

I shudder at the thought of truly randomize a card for Way of the Mouse without help of a computer.

Just draw a card from a shuffled randomizer deck; repeat until the card you draw costs or .

The thought that should make you shudder is trying to get a computer to do true randomization...
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2020, 10:48:43 am »
+12

Just draw a card from a shuffled randomizer deck; repeat until the card you draw costs or .

The thought that should make you shudder is trying to get a computer to do true randomization...

Why do people only bring this up with computerized "randomization"? Technically, shuffling a deck and rolling dice aren't true randomization either, but we call them close enough.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2020, 01:36:07 pm »
+3

Indeed. Modern hardware, and modern OSes, have extremely good random number generators.

When we question their quality, we're wondering whether someone collecting a terabyte of their output and feeding it to a supercomputer could spot it wasn't truly random. That it's better than a human shuffling a deck of cards is not in question. (-8

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2020, 01:39:44 pm »
+5

It's not like Mouse's "card costing 2 or 3" is new either.  Young Witch's Bane already had the same requirement, and I don't remember hearing anyone complain about that being particularly difficult
They/them

Trogdor the Burninator

• Golem
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2020, 10:57:34 pm »

Anyone I'd play with IRL has since gotten married (not to me) and I no longer have as frequent contact with them or they've moved away so online dominion has really taken over as the main way I play, even if I do play it with someone I know and/or am related to.

I have all the expansions IRL except Menagerie and a few of the Promos. This includes the first edition base game/intrigue (although my 1st edition Intrigue box is not in good shape because somewhere between when Dark Ages and Adventures were the most recent expansions, I'd experimented with carrying all my Dominion cards in that box and that ended ...badly for the box, as evidenced by it being held together with duct tape now) with the replacement 2nd edition cards. I'm sure I'll probably get Menagerie IRL at some point just so I can have a complete collection of boxes at least.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 11:01:08 pm by Trogdor the Burninator »
Dominion.games username: Jolinar of Malkshur

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHF_bIjIPAE

(I did not create the Trogdor the Burninator song nor am I associated with its producers in any way.  I just think it sounds cool. :P)

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2020, 02:52:26 am »
+4

This quarantine - and not being able to play tennis - has made me rediscover old hobbies. According to this board, I haven't logged on here since 2014.

I see there's this new dominion.games thing. Goko's gone.

I wonder if any old forum names I still remember are around. I see -Stef- is a moderator on some board here.

There's so many new expansions.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2020, 08:31:15 pm »
+3

This quarantine - and not being able to play tennis - has made me rediscover old hobbies. According to this board, I haven't logged on here since 2014.

I wonder if any old forum names I still remember are around. I see -Stef- is a moderator on some board here.

Stef is the guy who makes dominion.games.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

dghunter79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +319
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2020, 12:55:26 am »
+1

Tennis is literally one of the last things you can do! Because it’s played at such distance.

At least, it’s still permitted in LA.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2020, 02:25:57 am »
+1

Stef is the guy who makes dominion.games.

No wonder it's good! I just started playing there, just played some bot games to remember the cards. It's pretty neat. Looking at their boards, it's by Stef and werothegreat? Awesome stuff. I remember those guys were really cool people and really good at dominion, probably both still true.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2020, 06:18:29 am »
+1

Yes, Stef doesn't appear on the leaderboard anymore, but if he did, he'd be somewhere near the top.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2020, 08:31:57 pm »

Oh wow. The world is in such a state that the title of this thread made me fear a far darker subject matter. /-8

The republic of Ireland is dead. :P
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2020, 08:34:05 pm »

hey buddy the dominion paradox's thread is over here http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20243.0
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2020, 08:34:57 pm »
+1

Why do people only bring this up with computerized "randomization"? Technically, shuffling a deck and rolling dice aren't true randomization either, but we call them close enough.
because Nerds  :P

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2020, 12:13:18 am »
+1

Only previously unknown digits of pi are truly random. 

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2020, 12:32:35 am »

Only previously unknown digits of pi are truly random.

I feel like those are totally not random, they're just unknown to us.

The most random thing I can think of is using something like the rate of decay of a radioactive substance.  Depending on your view of quantum mechanics, this is either as good as random or it is truly random.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2020, 12:40:55 am »

Randomness is about a lack of feasible means of predicting outcomes.  Even in these quantum reactions, I believe there's a tiny undiscovered coppersmith-quark or scout-quark that all along would have dictated a certain rate of radioactive decay by its presence, we just don't have a way of observing it and understanding it.

If you are three and watching your first Disney movie of your whole life, whether the villains will cruelly end the plucky protagonists' life or fall to the protagonists' ingenuity and bravery can be equally random, it's a matter of perspective.

My comment about pi, based on its circular logic that renders it useless from any sort of application with utility, seems philosophically correct to me.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 12:42:53 am by popsofctown »

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2020, 03:51:43 am »
+1

Randomness is about a lack of feasible means of predicting outcomes.  Even in these quantum reactions, I believe there's a tiny undiscovered coppersmith-quark or scout-quark that all along would have dictated a certain rate of radioactive decay by its presence, we just don't have a way of observing it and understanding it.

The laws of quantum mechanics, if they are right (and they seem to be), show that it is literally impossible, even if we knew every single thing about the quantum state, to know what the outcome will be.  Like I said, this is either as good as random or it is truly random.  In either case, it's as good as random.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2020, 06:55:59 am »

The laws of quantum mechanics, if they are right (and they seem to be), show that it is literally impossible, even if we knew every single thing about the quantum state, to know what the outcome will be.  Like I said, this is either as good as random or it is truly random.  In either case, it's as good as random.

I don't think that's true. Not that I'm a physicist, but I think the laws of quantum mechanics say there is a spectrum of outcomes that all happen. (Under the MW interpretation, which is almost certainly correct.)
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.585 seconds with 21 queries.