Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Watchtower+Populate+Tomb  (Read 2442 times)

Trogdor the Burninator

• Golem
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile
Watchtower+Populate+Tomb
« on: April 03, 2020, 03:34:24 pm »
+2

Not sure if this has been posted before, but Watchtower might actually make Populate quite interesting in Tomb games if there's enough useless Kingdom cards to be trashed right away. You could also put cards you actually use on top of your deck immediately, including Watchtowers, potentially enabling this multiple turns in a row, assuming you're able to hit $10

I mean, if you're hitting $10, then provinces are usually going to be the best way to go pretty much every time, but in situations where you're only using 3 of the Kingdom cards, getting 7 VP every time you spend ten without further piling out the province pile might be the better route to go, especially if you're down to 2 provinces left and are behind and don't want to risk getting the penultimate province.

This seems very situation specific and probably isn't all that useful most of the time but it strikes me a sort of combo that could come in very useful in the right situation.

Perhaps Big Money + Watchtower where you trash *everything* upon buying Populate would work the best?

I haven't tested this out in live play before, it just came to me as something that might work.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 03:42:24 pm by Trogdor the Burninator »
Dominion.games username: Jolinar of Malkshur

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHF_bIjIPAE

(I did not create the Trogdor the Burninator song nor am I associated with its producers in any way.  I just think it sounds cool. :P)

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
Re: Watchtower+Populate+Tomb
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 05:04:24 pm »
+6

Tomb is not too important here, but Populate + Watchtower is. Generally, whether Populate is worth it or not comes down to how many Kingdom cards you want, how many you can tolerate, and whether you have ways to trash the ones you can't tolerate. Watchtower is good at the last one.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Trogdor the Burninator

• Golem
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 09:00:46 pm »

Tomb is not too important here, but Populate + Watchtower is. Generally, whether Populate is worth it or not comes down to how many Kingdom cards you want, how many you can tolerate, and whether you have ways to trash the ones you can't tolerate. Watchtower is good at the last one.

Yeah the Watchtower interaction was the main thing that inspired the bit with Tomb
Dominion.games username: Jolinar of Malkshur

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHF_bIjIPAE

(I did not create the Trogdor the Burninator song nor am I associated with its producers in any way.  I just think it sounds cool. :P)

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 08:22:05 am »
+3

Hmm. Watchtower+Populate can serve as the kernel of a golden setup: if you gain Watchtower, Gold, Silver, X, Y to the top of your deck every single turn. Plenty of kingdoms contain suitable cards for slots X and Y in that setup.

And plenty of kingdoms contain alt-VP or Landmarks which would benefit from it.

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 10:16:53 pm »
+3

Hmm. Watchtower+Populate can serve as the kernel of a golden setup: if you gain Watchtower, Gold, Silver, X, Y to the top of your deck every single turn. Plenty of kingdoms contain suitable cards for slots X and Y in that setup.

And plenty of kingdoms contain alt-VP or Landmarks which would benefit from it.

Populate can't gain Gold and Silver
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2020, 07:37:32 pm »
+1

Drat. Yeah. I keep thinking it's non-Victory rather than Action. )-8

There will still be boards where such shenanigans are possible, they'll just be more rare.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2020, 05:05:46 pm »
+2

I do think Watchtower + Tomb is a good combo in any kingdom were you can easily gain a bunch of cards, kind of like Watchtower + Goons and Watchtower + Groundskeeper.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.