Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115]  All

Author Topic: RMM56: Stormlight Archive Mafia (Game Over!)  (Read 259563 times)

Dylan32

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dylan32
    • View Profile
Re: RMM56: Stormlight Archive Mafia (Game Over!)
« Reply #2850 on: July 05, 2020, 11:18:22 am »

Most might have had too many spheres, but I would argue I should have at least started with more infused, even if the total didn’t increase. Literally didn’t do anything at night the whole game in a game with that many abilities...
Forum Mafia Record - Wins: 14 - NM9, M97, RMM41, M99, M102, M104, M119, M126, RMM56, M133, M134, RMM58, RMM59, RMM61, RMM60; Losses 15 - RMM37, M89, M94, M95, M96, M100, RMM47 M109, M110, M120, M127, M129, M131, M132, M136; MVPs: 1 - NM9

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: July 05, 2020, 11:52:27 am »

Most might have had too many spheres, but I would argue I should have at least started with more infused, even if the total didn’t increase. Literally didn’t do anything at night the whole game in a game with that many abilities...

Yeah, I realized after the game started that you should have been given enough spheres to vig, and the other skybreaker should have had fewer.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: July 05, 2020, 04:30:28 pm »

Yeah... this was not a fun game for me. I felt like town had an infinite number of cops. I told the truth about almost everything I did night 1 and still got caught on the one lie I told. (To be fair, I could have claimed to cop hupercube, but then I would have had to either confirm him town (which I thought he was at the time) and then have a conflict if anyone actually copped him, or finger him as scum which, if he had been town, would have just led to me being mislynched the next day.)

It was just very frustrating, because I felt like I was playing well but it didn’t matter. I agree with others’ assessments— too many powers, spheres were not sufficiently limiting, and too many investigative powers.

Town did choose targets very well, I’ll give them that. I can’t believe Galz doctored faust.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: Swowl
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: July 05, 2020, 06:21:09 pm »

Sorry Swowl for shooting you. After being lynched the first time, my kill would only work on Mafia (while any remained alive). I figured if you were the last one, a coup de grâce was best for everyone.

all good man!
Jesus how did i fuck that up
real good. That’s how
Town:  14 wins, 14 losses (1 MVP)
Skum: 7 wins, 7 losses (1 MVP)
3-Party: 4 wins, 1 loss

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: July 05, 2020, 08:52:43 pm »

Here's a question: If the powers were changed up a bit (fewer investigative powers, stronger powers for scum, adjusting costs, fewer spheres) would players enjoy playing this as an open setup? Removing the hidden order powers and all the 3rd parties, of course. Just regular old 12-13 player mafia game. You could randomize the orders too (they weren't randomized this game).
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

MiX

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: MiX
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: July 05, 2020, 09:05:23 pm »

Here's a question: If the powers were changed up a bit (fewer investigative powers, stronger powers for scum, adjusting costs, fewer spheres) would players enjoy playing this as an open setup? Removing the hidden order powers and all the 3rd parties, of course. Just regular old 12-13 player mafia game. You could randomize the orders too (they weren't randomized this game).

Probably? I can see it be good in theory, but I didn't think about it too much.

While you're here, what were my other 2 forms?

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: July 05, 2020, 10:17:46 pm »

Probably? I can see it be good in theory, but I didn't think about it too much.

While you're here, what were my other 2 forms?

They all were JOATs, with 4 different 1-shot abilities. You can look at the spreadsheet to see exactly what the abilities were. Nimbleform was town-aligned, warform was a survivor, and stormform turned you into a Mafia Traitor.

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: July 05, 2020, 10:27:36 pm »

I'd play again, since I only got to experience one day of it. But as scum with scummy powers, claiming was the death knell (I was going down anyway, but it didn't help!) and fakeclaiming wasn't possible. So randomizing would be helpful.

MiX

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: MiX
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: July 05, 2020, 10:30:55 pm »

I'd play again, since I only got to experience one day of it. But as scum with scummy powers, claiming was the death knell (I was going down anyway, but it didn't help!) and fakeclaiming wasn't possible. So randomizing would be helpful.

Are they that scummy? As a third-party I support being able to fakeclaim :P

Also, making my stuff a bunch of JOATs is cool, and I correctly guessed stormform's alignment, yay!

Uncleeurope

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: July 06, 2020, 01:05:23 am »

Are they that scummy? As a third-party I support being able to fakeclaim :P

Also, making my stuff a bunch of JOATs is cool, and I correctly guessed stormform's alignment, yay!

Pfft, why fakeclaim when you can just claim?
Don't worry, no one can read uncle correctly.

Uncleeurope Eddie

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: July 06, 2020, 01:18:07 am »

Really enjoyed working with mail-mi working on the setup, first time attempting to do something like this and I think it showed.

Agree with the consensus that town was always winning here with all their powers.

With the stormlight we were trying to go with a type of trade-off as much as possible. Do this one powerful action and be out of juice, or do a bunch of not-as-powerful options. I know I definitely just undervalued the "not-as-powerful" options.

I think I got caught up thinking about the third parties rather than the main town/scum. The character I am happiest about is Wit, who Eddie played marvelously even for not having read the stormlight archives. I also liked the ideas behind the assassin in white and parshmen, they just didn't play out like the might have with everything else being unbalanced

If I were to build this again, I would probably try put some VTs who have potential to convert to PRs (the whole radiant squire concept). Or just have fewer radiant PRs where it would be closer to a standard M game. Or, now that we have done mistborn and stormlight, finish reading the other cosmere books, run RMMs based on those, then do a cosmere mafia...

But, I need to start with reading the other cosmere stuff.

In the end, thanks mail-mi for letting me co-mod/create!
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: July 06, 2020, 01:56:48 am »

I'd rather people focus their energy on other projects, but if this pops up I'd probably /in.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: July 06, 2020, 03:06:14 am »

personally it's a liiiittle too mechanically solve-able for my tastes; i definitely had a great time d1, and i'm not sure i would have if i'd lived longer XD
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #2863 on: July 06, 2020, 03:20:05 am »

jimmmmmm killed me??? man rude
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #2864 on: July 06, 2020, 03:26:49 am »

Thanks for a fun game everyone.
I’m still sad Cayvie died early, but you’re a fun bunch to play with.

I agree that we all had too many spheres to play around with. I ended the game with 70 infused spheres. That’s two more Nights worth of blocking and watching.
I think in a setup with so much power you have to either limit the amount of times those powers can be used drastically or dumb down those powers themselves (voyeur instead of watcher for example).

The design of Eddie’s role is amazing.

Jimmm should have probably not been a watcher. It’s forcing him to townside in a setup where town already has a lot of power.

Still I like the setup a lot. Thanks for the hard work.

thank you so much for coming over! it was lovely to get to town with you after wolfing with you so intensely.

she/her

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #2865 on: July 06, 2020, 03:27:33 am »

this was just a beast of a town performance, in what looks like an already somewhat townsided setup.

she/her

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #2866 on: July 06, 2020, 04:05:52 am »

The main thing an open setup would have to do to make this work for me is disincentivize claiming in some form. Some ideas for that:

- give scum the factional power to, once per night, block all actions from a particular Surge.
- make it so that kills are automatically Strongman if they target a player form the same order
- change Lightning Rod so that it only redirects all powers from a given order/Surge to the user
- add a Redirecting power that somehow redirects all powers targeting a given order.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115]  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 20 queries.