Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Best expansion if you only buy one  (Read 1614 times)

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
  • Respect: +190
    • View Profile
Best expansion if you only buy one
« on: March 29, 2020, 05:49:57 pm »

I think this question has been asked before but now there's more expansions. I'm going to get an expansion for a friend who I'm guessing will probably end up with at most of two expansions. Assuming they only end up with one, which one would be best?  They said that more complicated would be better than simpler.

The ones I'm thinking of are Seaside, Prosperity, Adventures, Nocturne, Renaissance, Menagerie, or maybe Empires.
Not Intrigue, Hinterlands, or Dark Ages since they don't really add new mechanics to the game. Not Alchemy since it's small, not Cornucopia and Guilds since it only really adds Coffers.
Thoughts?

Wizard_Amul

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
Re: Best expansion if you only buy one
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 05:55:31 pm »

If you're going for more complicated, I think Nocturne, Adventures, Empires, and Menagerie are all good choices, mainly because of how many new concepts each one adds. Dark Ages is a complicated expansion to play well even though it doesn't add new mechanics, so I think it's worth considering, too. If I had to pick just one, I'd personally go with Empires.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 06:35:06 pm »

Yeah, Empires is a good choice.

I personally love Nocturne, but of the most recent expansions it technically has the fewest new "game elements", with 33 Kingdom cards and no landscape "add-ons". It is complex, though. And it's the most flavorful, if your friend likes the spooky theme.

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1397
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 06:39:45 pm »
+4

Prosperity. People here rate it so low, but to me it's not the game we play today w/o some of the options Prosperity gives you, and don't talk to me about Base Cards.

Yes there's some treasures there no one really cares about, but they're not all bad, and it's got plenty of good.

To me the minimum available setup is always Prosperity plus whatever second expansion suits your fancy.
My opponent has more loot than me

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 08:18:03 pm »
+1

Does your friend want a complicated expansion strategy-wise? Complicated cards? Or do they want a lot of interesting new mechanics? The answer depends.

If they want all three, I would recommend Empires or Adventures.
If they want complex strategies and complex cards without introducing new mechanics, I would recommend Dark Ages.
If they want complex strategies and a lot of new mechanics, but cards which are still easy, I would recommend Renaissance (Menagerie may also fit in here, from the few games I have played).
If they just want complex strategy, I would recommend Prosperity or Seaside (these also add new mechanics, but not as many of them).

I know I didn't include Nocturne here. If I included it, I would put it with Empires and Adventures. However, I personally think it has too much complexity density, and Hexes and Boons are my two least favorite mechanics. It's still fun, but I wouldn't buy it as a first expansion for anyone. I also didn't include any of the expansions which you ruled out (except for Dark Ages, because I think it has the largest strategy complexity / new mechanics ratio of any expansion, and it's really fun).
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 08:45:27 pm »
+2

Renaissance or Empires.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3190
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 04:16:15 am »

Adventures gets my vote. Empires is good, too.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.