Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Awesome flavor of Menagerie  (Read 1755 times)

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +972
    • View Profile
Awesome flavor of Menagerie
« on: March 25, 2020, 10:22:13 pm »
+4

Can I just say I really love naming for cards in Menagerie. And I like that some of them may be pretty subtle, but then I looked closely and oh my god, this is awesome. Not the obvious ones like Displace or Commerce, but more interesting ones. I want to share my musings.

In no particular order:

Demand: "Bring me this and quick!" So you demand something small like moat and they find a Horse to quickly get it to you and you get to keep a thing and a Horse.

Animal Fair: you either pay for entrance or you can be a participant, selling something you own to be there for free!

Destrier is worn down by all the stuff it carried for you, so it gets cheaper and cheaper.But in the end it's really just a Horse.

Fisherman costs less if there is nothing for them to catch in your discard pile.

Stampede can happen only if your play area has enough space for it

Way of the Seal is awesomely similar with Royal Seal which I was amazed at when realised

Maybe there are more i didn't get yet, but these ones are so cool

Thanks for your attention!
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1351
    • View Profile
Re: Awesome flavor of Menagerie
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 10:39:54 pm »

Wayfarer is an old-fashioned word for "traveller".  The Wayfarer moves around between different prices

The Gatekeeper limits what your opponents can get into their decks (at least, right away)

A whole Coven of Witches can do more than just one Witch, so you get Curses that are harder to get rid of (plus it's non-terminal)

The Cardinal excommunicates cards, I guess?

Way of the Frog - the frog jumps back onto your deck

Way of the Squirrel - Squirrels save nuts for the next Spring, Way of the Squirrel gives you cards for your next turn
They/them

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +385
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 07:34:27 am »

Black Cat is basically the same as any other dog, until the other players cross its path, which gives them bad luck. In this case a curse.
Way of the Mole digs through your deck.
A Hostelry is another word for Inn. There are people at an inn, hence the actions. But you can also put up a horse at an inn, which you're buying for your treasures.
Snowy Village has people, but if it's cold out it's harder for them to get work done.
Goatherd's goats eat your cards so they can get bigger and then get sold at the market for cards. Just the thing my goats need to get big. A bunch of copper coins and several houses.
Stockpile literally lets you stockpile the card itself on the exile mat.
Way of the Butterfly is simple. Your card is going through metamorphosis.
With Way of the Owl it isn't a direct similarity, but Library and Scholar are both cards based on knowledge and Watchtower looks on from above. Owls are known for being wise, and they fly over everything. 

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +972
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 10:59:25 am »

Black Cat is basically the same as any other dog, until the other players cross its path, which gives them bad luck. In this case a curse.
A Hostelry is another word for Inn. There are people at an inn, hence the actions. But you can also put up a horse at an inn, which you're buying for your treasures.
Snowy Village has people, but if it's cold out it's harder for them to get work done.
Goatherd's goats eat your cards so they can get bigger and then get sold at the market for cards. Just the thing my goats need to get big. A bunch of copper coins and several houses.
With Way of the Owl it isn't a direct similarity, but Library and Scholar are both cards based on knowledge and Watchtower looks on from above. Owls are known for being wise, and they fly over everything.

Oh wow, awesome about Hostelry and Way of the Owl, I didn't get it
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1351
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 05:20:52 pm »
+1

With Black Cat, the association I had was Witch.  When you use it as a reaction, it basically is a Witch.  Traditionally, black cats were seen as witches' familiars
They/them

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 10:24:42 am »
+6

The law of Supplies and Demand is that horses go on top of your deck.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.