Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Wording Challenge: Kitchen  (Read 2293 times)

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
Wording Challenge: Kitchen
« on: March 24, 2020, 05:32:34 pm »

Kitchen: Action
You may play an Action card from your hand twice. This turn, when it is your Action phase and no effects are being resolved, you may spend Actions to replay it, ignoring any +Actions you would get until no more effects are being resolved.

The intention is that you Throne Room a card, and then for the rest of the turn, at any time when you could normally play Action cards, you can spend Actions to replay the Throned Action, and ignore any +Actions you would get from it, even if those +Actions are from using a Way or from playing another card that the replayed card instructed/allowed you to play. (You only ignore +Actions after the first two times it's played.)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 05:39:01 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
Re: Wording Challenge: Kitchen
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 06:03:36 pm »

I think a better wording might be "When you would play a card". That might run into issues with thrones, though.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 06:13:11 pm »

I think I'd need to see how Kitchening a Kitchen works out before I comment on the card.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 07:25:14 pm »

I came up with a new, better wording, although it doesn't do the same thing as before.

You may play an Action card from your hand twice. For the rest of this turn, when you play an Action card, if the card played with this is still in play, instead of following its instructions, you may replay the card played with this.

EDIT: Nevermind, this allows infinites.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 07:39:00 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 07:38:38 pm »

I came up with a new, better wording, although it doesn't do the same thing as before.

You may play an Action card from your hand twice. For the rest of this turn, when you play an Action card, if the card played with this is still in play, instead of following its instructions, you may replay the card played with this.

I think this wording is broken with tokens, as you could play the played card an infinite # of times.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 07:41:04 pm »

I think this wording is broken with tokens, as you could play the played card an infinite # of times.

Yeah, I realized that right at the same time as you were posting this. And unfortunately, "...instead of following its instructions, you may follow the instructions of the card played with this" allows an infinite with Command cards and unblockable Attacks.

How about this: "You may play an Action card from your hand twice. For the rest of this turn, when it's your Action phase and no effects are being resolved, you may spend an Action to replay it. Ignore any +Actions you would get this turn as a result of spending that Action."

I'll just do this much simpler wording: "You may play an Action card from your hand twice. If it's not a Command card, then for the rest of this turn, when it's your Action phase and no effects are being resolved, you may spend an Action to replay it, ignoring any +Actions it would give you this turn."
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 08:01:25 pm by Gubump »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 08:34:28 pm »

Isn't this very similar to "You may play an Action card from your hand twice, then return it to your hand"?

Sure my version allows some other stuff such as discarding or trashing the card for benefit; but it sounds to me like the main idea is that you should get to spend an action point to re-play the card; and isn't that what playing a card from your hand normally does?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2020, 09:06:35 pm »

Isn't this very similar to "You may play an Action card from your hand twice, then return it to your hand"?

Sure my version allows some other stuff such as discarding or trashing the card for benefit; but it sounds to me like the main idea is that you should get to spend an action point to re-play the card; and isn't that what playing a card from your hand normally does?

You can spend Actions multiple times, not just once. That's why it has the "ignoring +Actions" clause, to prevent infinite replays of non-terminals. I'll try to modify the wording to make that clearer:

"You may play an Action card from your hand twice. If it's not a Command card, then for the rest of this turn, when it's your Action phase and no effects are being resolved, you may spend Actions to replay it, ignoring any +Actions it would give you this turn."
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 09:19:04 pm by Gubump »

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2020, 09:19:59 pm »

Could you instead use wording of "when you would play an Action card, you may instead spend an Action..."

You might also use could instead of would.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2020, 09:26:01 pm »

Could you instead use wording of "when you would play an Action card, you may instead spend an Action..."

You might also use could instead of would.

Problem is, I don't want to be able to interrupt Throne Room or Vassal with it.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2020, 12:15:54 am »
+1

Not the same card, but perhaps these get to similar concepts.

Kitchen
Action - $5
You may play an Action from your hand twice
This turn, when you play an Action, you may instead follow the instructions of an Action you have played with a Kitchen this turn

Kitchen
Action - $6
+1 Action
Pay any number of Actions. You may play an Action card from your hand, then play it an additional time for each Action you paid.

(I think this popped up in one of the weekly design contests)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 12:23:48 am by NoMoreFun »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2020, 12:43:30 am »

You may play an action card from your hand twice.  For the rest of the turn, cards with that name don't produce +actions and may be returned to your hand immediately after you finish resolving any action (including this play of Kitchen).

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2020, 12:11:13 am »

Kitchen: Action-Duration, $5
At the start of your next turn: +2 Actions, and whenever you would play an Action card from your hand that turn, you may instead replay a non-Duration card you played that turn that's still in play.

That's still maybe too complex. I'm not at my desktop so I don't know how many lines it takes up.

In general I would strongly avoid the whole "+Actions don't work". I think that's way too much complexity to add to an already complex card.

EDIT: Let me take another crack at it.

Kitchen: Action-Duration, $4
+1 Action. At the start of your next turn, you may play a non-Duration Action card from your hand. For the rest of that turn, when you would play an Action card from your hand, you may instead replay that card.

EDIT: Ohhh, I get it now. It goes infinite with any +Action card. I'm going to think some more.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 12:37:59 am by LastFootnote »

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2020, 01:20:38 am »
+1

I've officially given up on this card. It's more complex of a card than it's worth.

kru5h

• Duke
  • Respect: +372
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2020, 06:12:11 am »

Instead of spending Actions, you could spend Action cards.

You may play a card from your hand twice. If you did, for the rest of this turn, you may play other Action cards as if their text were the played Action card.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.