Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All

Author Topic: Actually Passable Card Ideas  (Read 24320 times)

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
Re: Actually Passable Card Ideas
« Reply #125 on: February 19, 2021, 10:27:35 pm »
+3

I suppose the project's only good on certain kingdoms, and otherwise is not worth spending $5 on. Here's a different attempt:

Valleyfort - Project - $5
When another player plays an Attack card, you may spend 1 Villager to be unaffected by it. When you buy this, +5 Villagers.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 20, 2021, 01:22:04 am »

That's a strange one. The first half feels like a Project, but the second half feels like an Event.

It's almost like you want another kind of token, alongside Coffers and Villagers, which you can discard to avoid an attack. But that feels like such a passable idea Donald X has surely tried it. It's not in a set, so maybe it actually sucks? (-8

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 20, 2021, 09:51:21 am »

Sad thought of the day: every single fan card ever posted on this site is an idea Donald has already come up with and rejected.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3189
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 20, 2021, 10:30:38 am »
+3

Sad thought of the day: every single fan card ever posted on this site is an idea Donald has already come up with and rejected.

Fortunately, this is completely untrue. It's untrue because there are too many cards, because some of them are better than original cards, and because some cards have essentially been made after first being posted here.

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3960
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 20, 2021, 10:39:10 pm »
+3

I think maybe Hillfort should prevent the first attack from affecting you instead of everything-but.  Works better on a board with no Villages and only terminals, etc.  And it's a lot more likely to do *something* in general, while the best case scenario isn't as great.  And if it's Militia or Raider, both fail equally well at preventing two copies, but at least the prevent-the-first will prevent the whole thing a *lot* of the time.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 20, 2021, 10:55:41 pm »

If you play 2 Giants in a row, first with Journey token face down then face up, which counts as the "first attack"?

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 20, 2021, 11:02:13 pm »

If you play 2 Giants in a row, first with Journey token face down then face up, which counts as the "first attack"?

Both times it's a card with the "attack" type.  I don't know if the issue has ever come up before, but presumably online Dominion gives you the option to reveal Moat for no particular reason?
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 21, 2021, 09:17:06 am »
+1

Both times it's a card with the "attack" type.  I don't know if the issue has ever come up before, but presumably online Dominion gives you the option to reveal Moat for no particular reason?

That's what I would have thought, but the new Noble Brigand says "When you buy this, do its attack", which implies that the "attack" is only the part of the card that affects other players. If you word it as "the first Attack card they play", there's no confusion, but if you word it as "the first Attack they play", then...

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 21, 2021, 11:35:02 am »
+3

That's what I would have thought, but the new Noble Brigand says "When you buy this, do its attack", which implies that the "attack" is only the part of the card that affects other players. If you word it as "the first Attack card they play", there's no confusion, but if you word it as "the first Attack they play", then...

The real question is why Noble Brigand was updated to still exist.

mathdude

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 21, 2021, 12:02:48 pm »
+2

I think the updated wording for the Noble Brigand is actually less clear than it was before. Previously, when buying, the attack happens but it isn't playing an attack card so it cannot be reacted to by Moat or similar. This is consistent with on-buy "attacks" such as Ill-Gotten Gains.

Now, "do its attack" is ambiguous. "Do" is not a clearly defined word (unless it does clarify in the revised printing). It sort of sounds like you could react with Moat. But I would still be inclined to say you cannot react because it is not playing an attack card.

If the intent was that you can react when it is bought, it would likely say "when you buy this, play it" (I know, that gives you an extra coin, but maybe that would be a benefit to offset the fact that people can now react to it).
he/him

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 21, 2021, 01:27:23 pm »
+1

More importantly, it gives you the option to reveal Horse Traders or play Caravan Guard.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 22, 2021, 07:59:37 am »

Even $5 sounds too pricey to me. Maybe $3 or even $2?

Or give it a variable price, e.g. "This costs $2 per Attack kingdom pile in the game."

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
Re: Actually Passable Card (shaped-thing) Ideas
« Reply #137 on: February 22, 2021, 03:39:18 pm »

I liked gambit05's Twins card, but I generally think most one-shots would be better as events, so here's my event version of gambit05's Twins card.

Collaborate
$5 - Event
Choose 2: +2 Coffers, +2 Horses, +2 Villagers, or 2 VP. (choices must be different)
Since there are no +buy tokens, I replaced that option with VP tokens, but I'm not sure how much this should cost. Could this cost $4?

(Now that I'm thinking about it more, maybe Twins is really better as the original one-shot card version, partly for the +buy, and partly so it can cost $2.)

BBobb

• Moneylender
  • My brother says thief is amazing.
  • Respect: +138
    • View Profile
Re: Actually Passable Card (shaped-thing) Ideas
« Reply #138 on: February 22, 2021, 03:53:46 pm »

Collaborate
$5 - Event
Choose 2: +2 Coffers, +2 Horses, +2 Villagers, or 2 VP. (choices must be different)

It should be worded like this:
Choose 2: +2 Coffers; or +2 Villagers; or +2VP; or gain 2 Horses.

DunnoItAll

• Thief
  • Respect: +127
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 23, 2021, 09:58:10 am »
+3

Musician - Action $4
Gain a song to the top of your deck

Songs are in a single pile and shuffled. Unlike ruins, they are not in the supply, and their top card is face down. There is duplicates of each.
<...Songs...>

I liked LittleFish's Musician and Songs idea, so I refined the list of songs and printed them out to play with. I decided I didn't want attack-songs, and I tried to balance them so they'd all be either $5s or strong $4s if they weren't one-shots.

I liked LittleFish's idea, too, and I also liked your additions and refinements. I took them and re-themed them to Spells and added a little Mana token mechanic.  Since most of the Spells are terminals, I made it possible to play a Spell normally as an Action or using a Mana token (that then doesn't require or consume an Action). Mana tokens are gained each turn after you buy your first Spell-enabler (here, Wizard, Spellbook, or Young Wizard) - at the start of clean-up if you have $2 or more remaining, gain 1 Mana token.

You can see the mock-ups and rules at the bottom here: https://dominion-fantasy.weebly.com/

I tried to make sure and give credit where due.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 30, 2021, 01:40:48 am »
+1

125 Orcs
$4 - Action - Attack
+1 Card, +1 Action.
If you have an odd number of Orcs in play, each other player either discards a card or gains a Ruins to their hand (their choice). If you have exactly 250 Orcs (2 cards) in play, gain 125 Orcs. Otherwise, if you have an even number of Orcs in play, +$1.
EDIT: changed wording to clarify that the attacked person chooses.
There are 18 Orcs in the pile on top of 1 Orc Captain per player:
Orc Captain
$5 - Action
+$2.
Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. Play all revealed Orcs and Ruins and put the rest back.
At the start of clean-up, you may trash a Ruins you have in play.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 08:22:36 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 30, 2021, 11:44:00 am »
+2

There are 18 Orcs in the pile . . .

Do you mean "2,250 Orcs"? :-)

Also, if the player hit by the attack is the one to choose between the two options, I think it needs to say that (see Torturer). It could say something like:

Quote from: 125 Orcs
If you have an odd number of Orcs in play, each other player either discards a card or gains a Ruins to their hand, their choice.

If the attacking player gets to choose the attack is too strong, as the first player to build an engine letting them play 9 of these in a row each turn will pin all the other players. That is much too easy to do with any cantrip, let alone a half-peddler.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

MiX

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: MiX
  • It's me.
  • Respect: +59
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 30, 2021, 12:02:55 pm »
+1

Is the orc captain considered an orc?

How serious is this?

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 30, 2021, 12:22:49 pm »

I hope not! That would be scary, and would make it way better than Cultist.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 12:35:04 pm by Timinou »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 30, 2021, 08:15:52 pm »

There are 18 Orcs in the pile . . .

Do you mean "2,250 Orcs"? :-)
yes :P

Also, if the player hit by the attack is the one to choose between the two options, I think it needs to say that (see Torturer). It could say something like:

Quote from: 125 Orcs
If you have an odd number of Orcs in play, each other player either discards a card or gains a Ruins to their hand, their choice.

If the attacking player gets to choose the attack is too strong, as the first player to build an engine letting them play 9 of these in a row each turn will pin all the other players. That is much too easy to do with any cantrip, let alone a half-peddler.
The player getting attacked chooses, like Torturer. My Torturer cards don't have that part in the parenthesis (I have 1st Ed. Intrigue). It doesn't need it. He just added it in the 2nd Ed. for extra clarification.
EDIT: Just checked the wiki page, and both torturers do have the "their choice" clause. I don't remember it having that, but I'll add it to the orcs.

I didn't think about that. Maybe it should say "except Captains". There is only one Orc Captain per player, but obviously one player could get all of them.

How serious is this?
not very.
Actually Passable Card Ideas is a thread for cards that could be decent to play with, so they're not "Really bad card ideas", but still not always entirely serious...
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 08:20:09 pm by LibraryAdventurer »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.