Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Author Topic: Actually Passable Card Ideas  (Read 24313 times)

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3960
    • View Profile
Re: Actually Passable Card Ideas
« Reply #100 on: October 24, 2020, 04:19:34 am »
+2

Was looking again at the latest couple pages of the RCBI thread, found this, and thought "hmmm, just put "trash this" on there and it could be playable."
Scrap market - 6
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
+1 Coin
Gain a silver
Gain a horse

Is gaining a Silver and a Horse actually good though?  You already had to pay $6 for this, how often do you really want Silver at this point?  It seems like it should balance it pretty nicely against the Horse.

The one-shot version with tokens seems really expensive for what it does, too.  Compared to Experiment and Acting Troupe, I don't immediately see a compelling reason it should cost more than $3.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 26, 2020, 07:07:05 am »
+1

Was looking again at the latest couple pages of the RCBI thread, found this, and thought "hmmm, just put "trash this" on there and it could be playable."
Scrap market - 6
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
+1 Coin
Gain a silver
Gain a horse

Is gaining a Silver and a Horse actually good though?  You already had to pay $6 for this, how often do you really want Silver at this point?  It seems like it should balance it pretty nicely against the Horse.

The one-shot version with tokens seems really expensive for what it does, too.  Compared to Experiment and Acting Troupe, I don't immediately see a compelling reason it should cost more than $3.

Well then, I'll just have to make it sillier:
Market Day
$5 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Buy
+1 Coffers. +1 Villager. +1 VP. You may trash a card from your hand. Gain a Silver. Gain a Horse or a Will-o-Wisp.
Trash this. If you don't, gain a Curse and a Copper.

And a bonus thematic semi-silly card:

Swamp
$3 - Action - Victory
Gain a Will O Wisp.
-
Worth 1VP
-
When you buy this, reveal your hand. +1 VP for every two Action or Treasure cards revealed.
-
When you trash this on your turn, lose 2 VP tokens.
Haven't we always wanted a card with 3 dividing lines?
(If I print this to use, I won't actually put 3 dividing lines. I really don't think they're all necessary, just like I don't think it's necessary for Harem or Noble Brigand to have any line.)

EDIT: one more:
Haunted Well
$4 - Night - Victory
Gain a Curse. If you do, choose one: +2 Coffers or +2 Villagers.
-
Worth 1 VP per X Curses in the trash, where X = the number of players in the game.
Night / Victory is a type combination not yet represented in my fan card rotation, so I made one.
Worth a lot of VP if all curses get trashed. If your opponent has more Haunted Wells than you, maybe you shouldn't trash that last Curse. Possibly OP with Watchtower, but then so are some other cards.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 07:59:56 am by LibraryAdventurer »

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 26, 2020, 08:36:50 pm »
+1

Haunted Well is mostly garbage if there's no trashing, and maybe it should come with an Heirloom at the very least.  Like, idk...

Drowned Spirit
Heirloom-Treasure
$1

+$2
You may trash a Curse from your hand.  If you do not, gain a Curse.  If you do not, trash this.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 10:47:14 pm by Minotaur »
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 27, 2020, 01:35:20 am »

I just wouldn't put it in a kingdom with no trashing, but that's a good option too.

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 27, 2020, 06:29:30 pm »

Scrap market - 6
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
+1 Coin
Gain a silver
Gain a horse

Indeed, vanilla Market may well be preferable to this when your deck can't cope with gaining extra Silvers every shuffle. The Horse gain is only a short-term compensation, effectively drawing the Silver for free a single time.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 14, 2020, 03:23:49 pm »

Horsemen pile: 
Each one is different like Knights, but with an additional rule: Add the Ride event to the supply. Ride has this additional effect: At the start of clean-up, you may exchange a Horseman you have in play with the top Horseman in the supply.

Centaur
$6 - Action - Night - Horseman
If it's your action phase: +2 Cards, +1 Action. If it's your night phase: Gain a Horse on top of your deck. Then reveal up to 2 cards from your hand, discard pile, or from play, and put them on top of your deck. If you topdecked a victory card, +1 VP and +1 Coffers.
(Horse Stargazer (my card) -I've posted this one before)
Mounted Knight
$6 - Action - Attack - Horseman
+1 Card, +1 Action, +$1.
Turn your journey token over (it starts face down). If it's face up, +1 Card and each other player reveals the top 2 cards of their deck, trashes one of them costing from $3 to $6, and discards the rest.
Headless Horseman
$6 - Night - Attack - Horseman
Gain two Horses, putting one of them on top of your deck. Each other player gains a Curse.
Royal Cavalry
$6 - Action - Horseman
Choose one: +2 Cards, +1 Action or Gain three Horses.
-
When you gain this, +1 Buy, return to your action phase, and play this.
(Horse Cavalry)
Pony Express
$6 - Action - Horseman
+1 Action.
Choose one: +2 Cards, or +$2 and +1 Buy.
-
When you discard this from play, you may look through your discard pile and shuffle up to two cards from it into your deck.
(Horse Messenger -kind of)
Mounted Ranger
$6 - Action - Horseman
+1 Card, +1 Action, +1 Buy.
Turn you journey token over (it starts face down). If it's face up, +2 Cards.
Mounted Scout
$6 - Action - Horseman
+1 Card, +1 Action.
Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck and put the revealed victory cards and one additional card into your hand. Put the others back onto your deck in any order.
Mounted Pilgrim
$6 - Action - Horseman
+2 Cards, +1 Action. Turn your journey token over. (it starts face down). If it's face up, at the end of your Buy phase, gain a Horse or a copy of a card you have in play.
(Horse Pilgrimage)
Jouster
$6 - Action - Victory - Horseman
+2 Cards, +1 Action.
-
Worth 1 VP per 5 differently named cards you have.
(Horse Fairgrounds)
Ghostly Horseman
$6 - Night - Attack - Duration - Horseman
Each other player with at least 5 cards in hand puts a card from their hand on top of their deck. At the start of your next turn: +2 Cards and +1 Action.
(Horse Ghost Ship/Ghost) (Maybe this should be "Headless Horseman" and the one I called Headless Horseman should be "Mounted Nighthag" or something like that.)

Other semi-serious possibilities and silly joke Horsemen: (you decide which is which)
Mounted Caravan Guard
$6 - Action - Duration - Reaction - Horseman
+2 Cards, +1 Action. At the start of your next turn: +$2.
-
When another player plays an attack, you may play this from your hand.
Mounted Adventurer
$6 - Action - Horseman
+1 Card, +1 Action.
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal 2 Treasure cards. Put those Treasure cards into your hand and discard the other revealed cards.
(haha. I think this might actually be balanced at $6 despite being strictly way better than Adventurer.)
Mounted Gardener
+2 Cards, +1 Action.
-
Worth 1 VP for each 10 cards in your deck.
Mounted Duke
+2 Cards, +1 Action.
-
Worth 1 VP per Duchy you have.
(Having there be only one of them makes it so you're not going to "go for" them for VP which I think makes it okay at $6 -unless maybe if regular Duke is also on the board.)
Mounted Baron
$6 - Action - Horseman
+2 Cards, +1 Action.
Choose one: Discard an Estate from your hand for +$3 and +1 Buy, or gain an Estate.
Mounted Bandit
$6 - Action - Attack - Horseman
+1 Card, +1 Action.
Each other player reveals the top two cards of their deck and trashes a revealed treasure other than Copper. Gain a treasure from the trash or a Silver, putting the gained card into your hand.
EDIT: a couple more:
Cowboy
$6 - Action - Reaction - Horseman
+1 Card, +1 Action.
Discard any number of Victory cards, revealing them, for +2 Cards per card discarded.
-
When another player plays an attack card, you may put this on top of your deck to gain a Horse into your hand.
(Horse Shepherd + a reaction)
Masked Horseman
+2 Cards, +1 Action.
Each player with any cards in hand passes one to the next such player to their left, at once. Then you may trash a card from your hand.
(Horse Masquerade!)
Let me know if you think any of them are unbalanced. (or if you think any of them would be good as a pile by itself.)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 12:46:36 am by LibraryAdventurer »

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 14, 2020, 05:32:36 pm »
+1

Musician - Action $4]
Gain a song to the top of your deck

Songs are in a single pile and shuffled. Unlike ruins, they are not in the supply, and their top card is face down. There is duplicates of each.
Example songs:

Valorous Ballad
Action-Attack-Duration-Song-
At the start of your next turn, return this to the bottom of the song pile
Now and at the start of your next turn, each other player reveals the top card of their deck, and trashes one costing between and and discards the rest.
It's like a knight, but because it's a song about one, it gets stuck in your head, so you do it twice
Unfinished work
Action-Song-
+1 Action
Return this to the bottom of the Song pile
It's just a temporary Ruin. Not every song played by a musician is worth it
Folk Tune
Action-Duration-Song-
+5 Villagers
Return this to the bottom of the Song pile
Royal Fanfare
Action-Song-
You may play an action card from your hand twice. Return this to the bottom of the song pile
Mundane Song
Action-Song-
+1 Card
+1 Action
+
Return the to the bottom of the song pile

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 15, 2020, 12:39:11 am »

Musician - Action $4]

Songs are in a single pile and shuffled. Unlike ruins, they are not in the supply, and their top card is face down. There is duplicates of each.
Example songs:

Valorous Ballad
Action-Attack-Duration-Song-
At the start of your next turn, return this to the bottom of the song pile
Now and at the start of your next turn, each other player reveals the top card of their deck, and trashes one costing between and and discards the rest.
It's like a knight, but because it's a song about one, it gets stuck in your head, so you do it twice
A double knight attack would be nasty and not fun. I'd just make it happen once and give it some other benefit.
I like the others, but I'd leave out the Unfinished Work. Maybe you can call the mundane song something like "Piano Concerto".
Also:
Dirge
$0 - Action - Song
Trash up to 2 cards from your hand. Return this to the bottom of the Song pile.
Lullaby
$0 - Night - Attack - Duration - Song
Each other player with at least 4 cards in hand discards one. At the start of your next turn: +2 Cards and return this to the bottom of the Song pile.
March
$0 - Action - Song
Choose one: +1 Card and +1 Action; or Look through your discard pile, play an Action card from it, and return this to the bottom of the Song pile.
Folk Dance about Horses
$0 - Action - Song
+1 Action, +2 Cards.
Each player with any cards in hand passes one to the next such player to their left, at once.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 12:49:55 am by LibraryAdventurer »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 30, 2020, 10:35:22 pm »

Littlefish recently posted this in the RBCI thread:
Reforming Hag
Action
Each player discards the top card of their deck. If they discard a curse, they may return it to the supply. each other player may then look through their discard pile and put a card from it onto their deck
--
When you buy this, you may overpay for it. For every overpayed, each other player discards the top card of their deck and gains a curse

I liked the idea, so I made this card based on it:
Mercenary Hag
Cost 3+  Action
+$1.
Discard the top card of your deck. You may trash it. Look through your discard pile and put a card from it on top of your deck.
-
When you buy this, you may overpay for it. For every $2 overpayed, each other player discards the top card of their deck and gains a curse on top of their deck.
Do you think it's balanced?
also, it's wordier than I like. Any suggestions for shortening it while keeping (at least most of) the effect?

While I'm here, here's another APCI which started out based on "Treasure chest" by naveisawesome
Buried Treasure
$6 - Treasure - Reaction
+2 Coffers, +1 Buy.
-
When you discard this other than during clean-up, play it. (+Buy has no effect when it isn't your turn.)
(I'm aware that it makes you not want to play discard attacks.)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 02:28:54 am by LibraryAdventurer »

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 01, 2020, 02:21:50 am »

Overpay for curses sounds a little sketchy.  Buried Treasure is probably fine?  It sounds ok when it's not strong and has +Buy in a pinch, and should be pretty strong with deck inspectors.  Turning Discards into +card that only works on Silver is probably fine for $6.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 13, 2021, 07:11:33 pm »
+2

Split pile.  Might be tricky to balance the numbers, but the reverse-distant-land mechanic feels interesting to me.

Promised Land
Victory
Cost: $5

Worth 2VP
When you would gain this, exile it instead.
Worth another 2 VP if not in exile.

Prophet
Action
Cost: $3

+1 Card
+1 Action
You may discard a Promised Land from exile to get +$2 and +1 Buy

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 15, 2021, 03:37:09 pm »
+1

Had another idea for this week's weekly design contest, but I already entered a card and I don't know which is better...

Chamberlain
$5 Action
If your journey token is face up, trash up to 2 cards from your hand and you may gain a card costing up to the total cost of the trashed cards. If it's face down, +3 Cards.
-
While this is in play, when you gain a Treasure, turn your journey token over.

EDIT: This might be a bit weak for $5. Probably the card I already entered is better...
EDIT2: removed "you may"
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 08:14:16 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 19, 2021, 07:44:14 pm »
+1

EDIT: This might be a bit weak for $5. Probably the card I already entered is better...

idk, it's probably fine?  Sometimes it won't be worth it, but even if it's the only trasher on the board for example, it's already not half bad.  The "you may" clause on the gain makes it a lot stronger than if you *had* to gain, say, a Copper after you trash two Copper, or a $2 after trashing a Copper and an Estate.  The while-in-play effect is nice.  I think maybe it's more subtle if flipping the Journey token is mandatory?  You have at least two chances to gain or not gain that turn, so the mini-game doesn't need to be any more generous IMO.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 19, 2021, 07:46:16 pm »

It's a little odd that it doesn't flip the token outright, though.  Such a departure from the usual rules and I don't think there's a strong enough justification here to break convention.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 19, 2021, 08:13:41 pm »

idk, it's probably fine?  Sometimes it won't be worth it, but even if it's the only trasher on the board for example, it's already not half bad.  The "you may" clause on the gain makes it a lot stronger than if you *had* to gain, say, a Copper after you trash two Copper, or a $2 after trashing a Copper and an Estate.  The while-in-play effect is nice.  I think maybe it's more subtle if flipping the Journey token is mandatory?  You have at least two chances to gain or not gain that turn, so the mini-game doesn't need to be any more generous IMO.
Yeah, I think I'll take out the "you may".

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 26, 2021, 10:34:32 pm »

Way Of The Beaver
+$2
+1 Buy

Appearing alongside Monkey or Sheep is the only real problem with it.

Holger

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 30, 2021, 11:29:46 am »

Way Of The Beaver
+$2
+1 Buy

That's not really a problem, as it's not recommended to have several Ways in one game. ;)

However, Beaver's effect is identical to playing Woodcutter, which while weak for a $3 card is rather too strong for a Way. Most of the Ways which have an effect that's independent of the card on which they are used would be too weak as a $2 kingdom card. (Mouse and Worm are the only real exceptions to this rule IMO.)
And I think that's a sensible design decision, so that you don't buy a random $2 kingdom card solely to use it as the Way.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 11:44:52 am by Holger »

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 30, 2021, 03:20:02 pm »
+2

Thanks to the plague, I've still not managed to try Menagerie, but my initial instinct is that buying $2 kingdom cards in order to play them as a Way sounds like an interesting twist to gameplay rather than something broken?

(I also want to see what happens with Ways and Ruins, of course!)

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 31, 2021, 03:34:25 am »
+1

Way Of The Beaver
+$2
+1 Buy

That's not really a problem, as it's not recommended to have several Ways in one game. ;)

However, Beaver's effect is identical to playing Woodcutter, which while weak for a $3 card is rather too strong for a Way. Most of the Ways which have an effect that's independent of the card on which they are used would be too weak as a $2 kingdom card. (Mouse and Worm are the only real exceptions to this rule IMO.)
And I think that's a sensible design decision, so that you don't buy a random $2 kingdom card solely to use it as the Way.

I think Way of the Horse is an obvious exception here—the existence of Ride suggests Horse is not too weak for a $2 kingdom card. (And I've definitely bought Poor Houses just so I could use them according to the Way of the Horse.)

And Worm is definitely too weak for a $2 kingdom card. Way of the Worm is to Monument roughly as Ruined Market is to Woodcutter.

Holger

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 31, 2021, 10:03:56 am »

Way Of The Beaver
+$2
+1 Buy

I think Way of the Horse is an obvious exception here—the existence of Ride suggests Horse is not too weak for a $2 kingdom card. (And I've definitely bought Poor Houses just so I could use them according to the Way of the Horse.)

And Worm is definitely too weak for a $2 kingdom card. Way of the Worm is to Monument roughly as Ruined Market is to Woodcutter.

Yes, you're right about Way of the Worm. I somehow thought it was nonterminal, but of course it's not and therefore too weak for $2.

Ride is an Event, not a kingdom card, and therefore can afford to be more narrow. Since Experiment gives you 2 "Horses" for $3, a single Horse as a $2 kingdom card seems rather underpowered to me. It would also be significantly worse than Encampment.

But sure, it may be a good deal for $1 if Poor House is in the Kingdom and you have spare buys.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 10:07:56 am by Holger »

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 31, 2021, 12:38:11 pm »
+1

Way Of The Beaver
+$2
+1 Buy

Yes, you're right about Way of the Worm. I somehow thought it was nonterminal, but of course it's not and therefore too weak for $2.

Ride is an Event, not a kingdom card, and therefore can afford to be more narrow. Since Experiment gives you 2 "Horses" for $3, a single Horse as a $2 kingdom card seems rather underpowered to me. It would also be significantly worse than Encampment.

But sure, it may be a good deal for $1 if Poor House is in the Kingdom and you have spare buys.
If ride is justification for something with the text of horse to cost , then Delve could be an excuse for silvers to cost and not cost a buy

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 01, 2021, 06:53:33 am »
+2

Musician - Action $4

<...Songs...>

I liked LittleFish's Musician and Songs idea, so I refined the list of songs and printed them out to play with. I decided I didn't want attack-songs, and I tried to balance them so they'd all be either $5s or strong $4s if they weren't one-shots. So, here's the list of songs I'm using:
(I also added +$1 to Musician.)

Folk Tune
$3 - Action - Song
+4 Villagers.
Return this to the bottom of the Song pile.
Yeah, it's pretty much Acting Troupe. I thought 5 Villagers at once was slightly excessive.
Royal Fanfare
$3 - Action - Song
You may play an action card from your hand twice. Return this to the bottom of the song pile.
(This one is the same as LittleFish had it, except for the cost.)
Cheerful Chorus
$3 - Action - Song
+1 Card, +1 Action, +$1, +1 Buy.
<a Market song. I wanted the Songs to be a little stronger than a Peddler effect so I added +buy to LittleFish's mundane song.>
Hymn
$3 - Action - Song
+2 Cards.
Trash up to 2 cards from your hand. Return this to the bottom of the Song pile.
March
$3 - Action - Song
+$1.
You may discard cards from your deck until you discard an Action card. Look through your discard pile and play an Action card from it. Return this to the bottom of the Song pile.
<a Peddler variant-version of the Event>
Masquerade Dance
$3 - Action - Song
+1 Action. +2 Cards.
Each player with any cards in hand passes one to the next such player to their left, at once. Return this to the bottom of the Song pile.
Peaceful Serenade
$3 - Action - Duration - Reaction - Song
+$1.
At the start of your next turn: +2 Cards and return this to the bottom of the Song pile.
-
When another player plays an attack, you may reveal this from your hand or from play to be unaffected by the attack.
Victory Anthem
$3 - Action - Song
+$3. +1 VP.
Heroic Ballad
$3 - Action - Song
Trash a card from your hand. Gain a Treasure to your hand costing up to $3 more than the trashed card. Return this to the bottom of the Song pile.
<Mine-song, but slightly stronger since you can trash any card.>
Haunting Melody
$3 - Action - Song
+4 Cards.
Put a card from your hand on top of your deck. Return this to the bottom of the Song pile.
Sea Shanty
$3 - Action - Duration - Song
+$2, +1 Buy.
At the start of your next turn: +$2 and return this to the bottom of the Song pile.
<roughly a Merchant Ship song>
False Note
$1 - Action - Song
+1 Action. +$1.
Discard a card. Gain a Song. Return this to the Song pile and then shuffle the Songs.
I debated whether I wanted a version of LittleFish's Unfinished Work, but I thought of having it gain you another song, and then it's not so feelsbad. After all, good musicians know to keep on playing when they hit a false note.
That's 12. I use 2 copies of Cheerful Chorus and Royal Fanfare to make it 14 total, and in 3+ player games, I add a second copy of False Note.

After playing with it a couple times, I decided I might like another card or two that uses Songs, so here they are.
Music School
$5 - Action
+1 Card, +2 Actions.
Gain a Song.
Nice simple Bandit Camp variant.
And one more I'm considering but haven't printed yet:
Choir Singer
+1 Card, +1 Action.
If you have more than one Choir Singer in play, you may gain a Song. If you don't gain a song, +$1.
(I just realized it's a little weird for Choir Singers to play a Royal Fanfare, but whatever...)

Thanks, LittleFish, for the idea to run with.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 07:05:51 am by LibraryAdventurer »

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 18, 2021, 04:03:27 pm »
+3

Hillfort - Project-  $5
During other players' turns, you are only affected by the first Attack they play per turn.

Edit: cheaper
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 05:09:09 pm by pubby »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 18, 2021, 04:33:52 pm »

Hillfort - Project-  $7
During other players' turns, you are only affected by the first Attack they play per turn.
Doesn't need to cost $7.  Probably would be fine at $5.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 19, 2021, 08:07:35 pm »
+1

Even $5 sounds too pricey to me. Maybe $3 or even $2?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 21 queries.