Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Author Topic: Actually Passable Card Ideas  (Read 24310 times)

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3960
    • View Profile
Re: Actually Passable Card Ideas
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2020, 04:33:47 pm »

Supervisor
Action-Command
$3

The player to your left chooses a non-Command Action card from the Supply costing at least $3.  Play it, leaving it there.

I use a card just like this except it costs $2 and has an on-gain effect.

What does the on-gain do?  Also, I changed it up a little and made a 2nd version:

Supervisor
Action-Command
$2

The player to your left chooses a non-Command Action card from the Supply costing at least $3.  Play it, leaving it there.

EDIT: v2, two cards for more "Advisorly-ness":
Supervisor
Action-Command
$4

The player to your left chooses two differently-named non-Command Action cards from the Supply.  Play them in that order, leaving them there.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2020, 07:26:01 pm »
+1

Supervisor
Action-Command
$3

I use a card just like this except it costs $2 and has an on-gain effect.

What does the on-gain do?
"When you gain this, trash a card from your hand."
I added this because the way I make kingdoms IRL makes it less likely for there to be any bad or useless actions, so it needed a little more incentive to buy it.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 07:27:05 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2020, 04:42:31 pm »

This one's a play on the "Advisor" theme, but I actually like it.  I added a card cost clause to it because I suspect it's more interesting and balanced on more boards with it than without.  For example, if it's only able to target $4 or $5 actions, this can be huge, but maybe there's a really awkward Explorer or Trading Post on the board.  Usually it would just hit another $3, but at least there aren't any boards where it's a $2 action or worse, Ruins.  Might even work with cost reduction on other boards now.

Supervisor
Action-Command
$3

This original Supervisor is strictly worse than any $3 non-Command Action, isn't it? (Barring lose-track shenanigans.)  Even at $2, this seems extremely weak. Your v2 might work, but would strongly depend on the kingdom.

What about buffing the card by restricting it to $5+ cards (which are generally more universally good, making the opponent's choice less harmful)?

Underlord
Action-Command
$3

The player to your left chooses a non-Command Action card from the Supply costing at least $5.  Play it, leaving it there.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2020, 08:08:53 pm »
+1

Lord
Action
Cost: $5

Return this to the Supply.  Take <1>.  Gain a differently-named Action card having the same cost as this to your hand.  Play it.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2020, 08:09:48 pm »

Way of Contradiction
Way

Follow the instructions printed on this card.  If you don't, +1 VP.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2020, 01:12:28 am »

Way of Contradiction
Way

+1 VP is hardly overpowered on a terminal but as Way of the Worm already exists I don't see the appeal of this.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2020, 02:44:25 am »
+1

Way of Contradiction
Way

+1 VP is hardly overpowered on a terminal but as Way of the Worm already exists I don't see the appeal of this.

I meant to post this in RBCI actually.  X-P

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2020, 08:18:22 am »

Fair enough. Though I did think of an even better animal. Cheetah was because of their speed, but better yet:
Way of the Lion (being King of the Jungle)

If the naming convention were enforced, I'd pick that.

Since the Way of the Seal puns are fair game too, so how about Way of the Drone.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2020, 09:13:34 pm »
+2

Exile allows the two cards to finally unite in a clean way

Mint Mine
Action - $5
Exile a treasure from your hand. Gain a treasure to your hand costing up to $3 more than it
-
When you gain this, you may exile all treasures you have in play.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 12:48:42 am by NoMoreFun »

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2020, 10:20:32 am »

Always wanted to toy around with the idea presented in the Mountain Pass Landmark. Tried to have this as a card, but this was way too erratic. So an Event it was. What do you think of this? It's hard to say where this would place balance wise; there has not really been a thing like that in Dominion. If multiple players tie as winners of a Debate, it is broken in player order, as usual.

Oh by the way, it says  "whoever" instead of "the player who", just because the text would be too tiny if I used the other wording.
Bottom text

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2020, 10:59:23 am »

So... you have a Platinum in hand and 4 buys. You buy four Debates, gaining four Platinum and 68VP?

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +971
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2020, 11:59:21 am »
+1

So... you have a Platinum in hand and 4 buys. You buy four Debates, gaining four Platinum and 68VP?

it's not vp, it's debt
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2020, 12:30:06 pm »

And if you reveal 4 Platinums with 4 Buys of Debate, you'd end up with 32 (4 * (9 - 1) = 32). Not that good of a deal if you ask me. Even if you somehow draw all 5 of your Platinums, you'll still have 7 left after that turn, lol.

Edit: Yeah if you don't repay your after the first Platinum reveal, then you won't be able to Buy Debate again even if you have an extra Buy to spare. Thanks Minotaur for the pointer.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 01:50:10 pm by X-tra »
Bottom text

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2020, 12:46:40 pm »

1.  Play Treasures
2.  Buy Debate, reveal a Platinum you can't play this turn.  You have <8>
3.  Pay Debt with remaining $
4.  Repeat from (2) if Buys and <0>.

You can't just take a lot of debt from buying Debates faster than they can resolve.

Balance-wise, this means that Nights and unplayable Actions are better than Treasures for this, where other players aren't penalized for using a Treasure.

EDIT:  To make it better for the buyer, maybe try:  "You may play an Action, Treasure, or Night card from your hand.  Each other player may reveal......"
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 12:50:26 pm by Minotaur »

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2020, 12:56:31 pm »
+1

It kind of feels like a Capital that can backfire at the moment.  It's like donating a free buy to another player when it fails.

In addition to playing the debated card, maybe each player gets their gained card, but you still pay <1> less for yours and the winners get +1 VP.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2020, 01:47:58 pm »

I guess the biggest blunder of losing a Debate you initiated yourself is that you have succesfuly wasted a Buy. Sure, you drowned an opponent in , but it's not enough to make the pill easier to swallow. There needs to be some sort of (stronger) consolidation price if you get the short end of a Debate you buy. Therefore I present you with this second version:

What do you think of this now? Any more text in there and I think it's too much. I'd rather scrap the idea than trying to fit a novel on a card. If it cannot be condensed into this many words or less, then the idea is clearly flawed and not worth exploring any further.

I like this idea here because you can try to fail your own Debate on purpose. But if you try to fail it by, say, revealing a Copper while your opponent does the same since they do not want to be hit with any or because they have a garbage hand anyway, then you'll win (since you break ties) and be rewarded with the magnificent price of gaining... another Copper! So there's some risk involved here if you want to be cheeky. Most of the time, you should only make use of a Buy on Debate if you intent on winning it yourself.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 01:49:07 pm by X-tra »
Bottom text

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2020, 02:20:35 pm »

If you try to actually gain something, you still don't get to play that card.  Other players would generally assume you're going for a Copper, so they would want to play it like they're Buying a copy of a card in hand.  Because you lose the card for the turn, maybe the bonus for winning could be <2> or even <3>, but it would be a weird event to test.

I guess you could have them set a card aside in advance before revealing for consistency, and then if the set-aside card is a Victory card, they have to reveal a hand of all Victory cards........

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2020, 03:15:17 pm »

I like the idea of having a discount bonus of 2 if winning when buying a Debate. This'll be implemented.

The non-Victory card clause is weird in the sense that it doesn't specify whether you are allowed to reveal a Victory card or not. It might just be that you could reveal one, but that'd make you disqualified from winning. In that case, I suppose the player who bought Debate will just reveal Estates or what have you to use their Buy phase to freely obtain a . This is also not something I thought off. And if it is allowed, then what happens if everyone reveals a Victory card at once? A draw? Who knows, lol.

Weew. This card is a hot mess to balance! This is why Dominion mostly keep players to themselves. Trying to pool everyone together into head-to-head competitions bring so much weirdness to the table.  :P

As I cannot possibly fit more text on that Event, it would probably have to be stated in some kind of rule book that yes, you may reveal a Victory card. But that this in turns makes you some kind of "non-participant" which disallows you to even lose/win the Debate. You reap no benefits by revealing a Victory card.

I tried a bunch of stuff on the card and man... I couldn't make it look elegant, lol. It's slowly hovering over the garbage bin.  :P
Bottom text

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2020, 06:45:20 pm »

I like the idea of having a discount bonus of 2 if winning when buying a Debate. This'll be implemented.

The non-Victory card clause is weird in the sense that it doesn't specify whether you are allowed to reveal a Victory card or not. It might just be that you could reveal one, but that'd make you disqualified from winning. In that case, I suppose the player who bought Debate will just reveal Estates or what have you to use their Buy phase to freely obtain a . This is also not something I thought off. And if it is allowed, then what happens if everyone reveals a Victory card at once? A draw? Who knows, lol.

Weew. This card is a hot mess to balance! This is why Dominion mostly keep players to themselves. Trying to pool everyone together into head-to-head competitions bring so much weirdness to the table.  :P

As I cannot possibly fit more text on that Event, it would probably have to be stated in some kind of rule book that yes, you may reveal a Victory card. But that this in turns makes you some kind of "non-participant" which disallows you to even lose/win the Debate. You reap no benefits by revealing a Victory card.

I tried a bunch of stuff on the card and man... I couldn't make it look elegant, lol. It's slowly hovering over the garbage bin.  :P

Test it and report back?

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2020, 08:17:33 am »

Way of Contradiction
Way

I hereby violate the instructions on the card, choosing to gain 8 Provinces instead. Where's my VP?
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2020, 05:01:09 pm »

Way of Contradiction
Way

I hereby violate the instructions on the card, choosing to gain 8 Provinces instead. Where's my VP?

You still have to follow the instructions printed on the card, skipping steps when you can't.  In which case you have failed to follow the printed instructions.  WoC does not grant you permission to do whatever you want.

MSol

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2020, 07:37:00 am »
+1

Nomad
$7
Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1
Trash up to two cards from your hand. If you trashed any cards this way, gain a card costing up to $4.

Archer
$4
Reaction - Reserve
When you discard this, you may reveal it, to put it on your Tavern mat.
--------------
At the start of your turn, you may call this, for each other player to gain a Curse.
--------------
When you gain this, +1 VP.

Way of The Dog
Way
Look through your discard pile. You may put a card from it into your hand.
Goons - Capitalism should probably be illegal.

R-man77

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2020, 12:57:21 pm »
+1

I've always had this idea for a reverse bridge, and I created a working version a while ago and posted it to reddit, I thought I'd post it here too to see what you all think of it.

Refine
$5
Action

+1 action

You may trash a card from your hand. If you did, you may gain a card costing up to 1 more than it.
Then, cards in your deck not gained this turn and cards in the trash cost 1 more this turn.

It is a TfB card that also synergizes with most other TfB cards. It can be comparable to Upgrade except it is better because the TfB is less picky and it builds on itself and other TfB, but it doesn't draw you an extra card to compensate.

The reason it affects cards in the trash as well as cards in your deck is to make it work functionally as well as thematically. It makes your cards more expensive, and when you trash them, they need to keep their higher price in the trash in order for it to function.

The reason it singles out cards not gained this turn is because of reddit poster bluey_the_bear who pointed out that Livery lets you gain a horse everytime you gain a card costing 4 or more, so if the moment you gain a card costing 4 or more with Refine in play, everytime you gain a horse it also costs 4... allowing you to gain the entire horse pile. He pointed out a few other broken card gaining abilities, so in order to make these impossible, I changed the wording to specify it doesn't apply to cards gained the same turn you play it.

Overall, I think this is a great card that is a worse upgrade the first time it is played, then a better remodel the second time, then a better expand every other time. I would really like to playtest and tweek it more if needed, so let me know what you think.

Also, here is the link to my post for this card on reddit. https://www.reddit.com/r/dominion/comments/ghrt2j/card_idea_refine_dominion/
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 12:59:03 pm by R-man77 »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2020, 01:21:21 pm »
+1

The wording is weird, you cannot track cards. So I guess you want to say something like „copies of cards„ or whatever but then it does not work either. Simply say non-Horse cards, that is pretty clear.
I don’t get the card though, it just seems like a double worse Upgrade.

R-man77

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2020, 02:56:15 pm »

The wording is weird, you cannot track cards. So I guess you want to say something like „copies of cards„ or whatever but then it does not work either. Simply say non-Horse cards, that is pretty clear.
I don’t get the card though, it just seems like a double worse Upgrade.
I know the wording is weird, it had to be in order to make it so the card functions as it is suppose to without any issues or broken combos. Saying non-horses wouldn't work because they aren't the only problem card with Refine. For example, after playing one Refine border villages cost 7 in your deck and 6 in the supply, so it would be possible to buy one border village and empty the entire supply. Same goes for Falconer.

I'm not sure what you mean though with the tracking issue. While it may be tricky for cards to have different prices depending on where they are, it shouldn't be that confusing. If the card is in the trash, it costs 1 more. If it is in your deck and you haven't gained it this turn, it costs 1 more. If you return a card to its supply the cost returns to normal. I'm not really an expert on tracking issues though, so I would like to hear what you mean.

As for as Refine being a double worse Upgrade, it is worse because it doesn't give you +1 card, but it makes up for it in a few other ways. For one, both the trashing and gaining are optional, which makes it slightly better than the "exactly one more" clause. But the most important thing is the price increase. It makes all your cards more expensive while the supply cards remain the same, so in that way it has synergy with itself and other TfB cards without hurting your buy power (anti-bridge). Of course not getting +1 card is a big negative, but I think the TfB synergy makes up for that.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 21 queries.