Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Actually Passable Card Ideas  (Read 24309 times)

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
Re: Actually Passable Card Ideas
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2020, 09:11:15 pm »
+2

Homeopath
Action-Attack ($6)

+$3

Each other player gains 2 coppers onto their deck
Play 3 per turn and your opponent can't do anything. And coppers run out so much slower than curses.
I wouldn't call a guaranteed 5$/turn "not doing anything"

No, but if you can consistently play 3 a turn, then you are guaranteeing that you can get at least a turn (Province every time) and that they can get no more than a turn (Duchy every time). You can double their , and they have no control over it. You might as well replace them with a bot that buys a Duchy every turn, because that's their only (slim) hope at winning. They have no control, and in that sense they can do nothing.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3960
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2020, 03:51:36 pm »

I actually am curious how you play this.  It's actually sort of a finesse card and do you buy one for $3 on first shuffle?  I don't know!  On the surface it's sort of like Stockpile, but the differences are actually quite huge after thinking about it for a minute.  If you cycle them, then they end up just being a Silver that eventually vanishes.  Which might be good!

Black Lotus
Treasure
Cost: $1

+1 Buy
+$3
Trash this card
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 03:52:58 pm by Minotaur »
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2020, 04:46:52 pm »
+2

Liquidate
Event
Cost: $5

Trash your hand.  +1 Coffer per card.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2020, 06:00:15 pm »
+3

Way of the Slime
Return this and a card with the same name from your hand to the Supply. Gain a card costing double this cards cost in $.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2020, 06:11:46 pm »
+2

Way of the Slime
Return this and a card with the same name from your hand to the Supply. Gain a card costing double this cards cost in $.

You may... If you did...

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2020, 07:23:09 pm »

I actually am curious how you play this.  It's actually sort of a finesse card and do you buy one for $3 on first shuffle?  I don't know!  On the surface it's sort of like Stockpile, but the differences are actually quite huge after thinking about it for a minute.  If you cycle them, then they end up just being a Silver that eventually vanishes.  Which might be good!

Black Lotus
Treasure

+1 Buy
+$3
Trash this card
The concern here is that it's basically a slightly worse Stockpile.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2020, 07:32:28 pm »

Black Lotus
Treasure

+1 Buy
+$3
Trash this card
The concern here is that it's basically a slightly worse Stockpile.

Maybe it's a Silver that eventually turns into a Gold the last time you play it.  Or it's a really cheap one-shot Stockpile.  Or something in between.  The main problem to me is that if you don't have an extra Buy already, it's mostly Case 1 and maybe you don't get chances to do other things with it.  And maybe you paid $3 for it.  But if Silver is bad, then maybe having it vanish is good for that reason alone.

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2020, 08:14:14 am »

Way of the Slime

You may... If you did...

And make it "up to double this card's cost" - otherwise it can never be used on cards costing $5+.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2020, 09:15:15 am »

Way of the Slime

You may... If you did...

And make it "up to double this card's cost" - otherwise it can never be used on cards costing $5+.

nope. strictly double. no odd valued gains.

461.weavile

• Salvager
  • Respect: +52
    • View Profile
    • Itemfinder RPG
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2020, 12:25:56 pm »
+1

Way of the Slime

You may... If you did...

If I'm reading this correctly, all Ways naturally imply "You may" just by being a Way, so that wording isn't necessary. Also, why do Way of the Butterfly and Way of the Rat say "You may...?"
Warlords and Wizards is my favorite expansion.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2020, 12:36:30 pm »

Way of the Slime

You may... If you did...

If I'm reading this correctly, all Ways naturally imply "You may" just by being a Way, so that wording isn't necessary. Also, why do Way of the Butterfly and Way of the Rat say "You may...?"

Most cards that depend on having a card or type in hand are either optional, or ask you to prove you can't follow the instructions.  This isn't about it being a Way or not, this is after you make the choice to invoke Way of Slime:

You may return this and a card with the same name from your hand to the Supply. If you did, gain a card costing double this cards cost in $.

If it's not optional, then the other player doesn't know that you chose not to even though you could.  And I think returning the copy in play should be prevented if the other copy doesn't exist.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2020, 01:26:27 pm »
+1

You know what.  I can't help it.  I love the Stonks.

Stonks
Treasure
Cost: $7

+1 Buy
Roll a D8.  If you roll above your Stonks total, take a Stonks token.  Otherwise, lose a Stonks token.
+$1 per Stonks token
----------------
Setup:  Each player takes three Stonks tokens.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2020, 01:11:54 pm »

Not a fully-formed card idea, but a thought that just occurred to me:

Is there any reason a Reaction of the form "Directly after another player finishes playing an Attack card, you may..." wouldn't work, or would be a bad idea?

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2020, 02:11:37 pm »

Not a fully-formed card idea, but a thought that just occurred to me:

Is there any reason a Reaction of the form "Directly after another player finishes playing an Attack card, you may..." wouldn't work, or would be a bad idea?

One time Donald said something to the effect that if "attack reflection" is too strong, then it effectively removes the Attack from the board.  And then the attack reflection removes itself from the board, since the attack is no longer viable.

This also depends on how good the cards are aside from the attack and reaction.  Sheepdog and Caravan Guard exist and sometimes/explicitly respond to attacks.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2020, 02:13:35 pm »
+1

The reaction could be something like "trash a card from your hand", though, and that's not a reflection.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Sauter

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2020, 02:19:54 pm »

So this is my first card idea I'm posting. I wanted to put it in "really bad card ideas" for being off-theme. But I like what it actually does too much.

Quarantine - 4 Cost - Action/Attack/Duration

You may trash a card from your hand. Until your next turn, another player may not trash cards or gain cards from the trash. At the start of your next turn, +2 Coin.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2020, 02:24:50 pm »
+1

The reaction could be something like "trash a card from your hand", though, and that's not a reflection.

Yeah, I think Donald's argument is good to the extent that the reaction is strong and depends on the choices of other players.  Trashing one card when the attack is played would kind of erase Militia in the early game, and then erase itself, unless playing the action also trashed a card; it would fail very badly here if the reaction goes after resolving the entire attack, though.  This reaction really wants to reduce your handsize before you start discarding.

To counter Torturer, the same effect would have to wait until the Attack fully resolved to be strong.

You could call it Informant or something.  X-D

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2020, 04:50:35 pm »

Thought of a card for this last weekly contest right after the results were posted:

Stallion
$7* - Action
+2 Cards.
+1 Action.
Gain a Horse.
-
In games using this at the start of your buy phase, you may reveal and discard the top three cards of your deck. Until the end of your turn, this costs $1 less for each treasure card revealed.
I'd like to make the bottom half less wordy. any ideas?

and a bonus blue dog
Junkyard Dog
$3 - Action
+2 Cards.
-
When you trash a card, you may play this from your hand.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 04:53:12 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2020, 09:48:49 am »

Oooh, yes. How about:

Deacon
$2 - Action Reaction

+1 Card
Trash a card from your hand
----
Directly after another player finishes playing an Attack card, you may play this from your hand.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2020, 03:43:19 pm »
+3

Dishonor
Way

Exile a Curse from the Supply and a card from your hand.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2020, 02:58:01 am »

This one's a play on the "Advisor" theme, but I actually like it.  I added a card cost clause to it because I suspect it's more interesting and balanced on more boards with it than without.  For example, if it's only able to target $4 or $5 actions, this can be huge, but maybe there's a really awkward Explorer or Trading Post on the board.  Usually it would just hit another $3, but at least there aren't any boards where it's a $2 action or worse, Ruins.  Might even work with cost reduction on other boards now.

Supervisor
Action-Command
$3

The player to your left chooses a non-Command Action card from the Supply costing at least $3.  Play it, leaving it there.

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2020, 08:25:22 am »

This one's a play on the "Advisor" theme, but I actually like it.  I added a card cost clause to it because I suspect it's more interesting and balanced on more boards with it than without.  For example, if it's only able to target $4 or $5 actions, this can be huge, but maybe there's a really awkward Explorer or Trading Post on the board.  Usually it would just hit another $3, but at least there aren't any boards where it's a $2 action or worse, Ruins.  Might even work with cost reduction on other boards now.

Supervisor
Action-Command
$3

The player to your left chooses a non-Command Action card from the Supply costing at least $3.  Play it, leaving it there.
The main issue is with forced trashers, i.e. Remake, which means this can be very harmful on certain boards, or just dead.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +971
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2020, 08:27:23 am »

Supervisor
Action-Command
$3

The main issue is with forced trashers, i.e. Remake, which means this can be very harmful on certain boards, or just dead.

yeah, but remake itself can turn into a dead card after a while
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2020, 10:49:12 am »

I guess Supervisor should cost $2.  Or it could cost $4 and play two differently-named Action cards.  Advisor draws two, so this is on-brand.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2020, 03:43:12 pm »
+1

Supervisor
Action-Command
$3

I use a card just like this except it costs $2 and has an on-gain effect.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 21 queries.