Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Way of the Mouse with Durations  (Read 2372 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Way of the Mouse with Durations
« on: March 22, 2020, 03:00:12 pm »
+12

So it is now possible to play a bunch of Highways; use them as Way of the Mouse playing a Duration; causing those Highways to stay in play after your turn... giving your opponent all the benefit of your Highways in play.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
Re: Way of the Mouse with Durations
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 03:22:05 pm »

Oh, man, that would be hilarious
They/them

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 10:32:15 pm »

Uh, wait a sec, if your Goons are in play when an opponent buys something, do they get points for it?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 10:42:49 pm »
+4

Uh, wait a sec, if your Goons are in play when an opponent buys something, do they get points for it?

No, because "you" in the below-the-line text refers to the person who played Goons. Or possibly the person who has Goons in their in-play area, one of those (those will always be the same person no matter what*). I'm not sure I can point to a rule or ruling that proves that, but it seems like the most natural way to read the text; and I would be very surprised if it worked otherwise.

However, Goons as Mouse-Duration does give you the Goons effect 2 turns in a row!

I looked at the text of a few other "while this is in play" cards; but I think they all pretty much specify that it only helps "you". Except Princess, which works the same as Highway.

*Edit* Wait, maybe they won't always be the same person? I know one of the reasons for removing the Shapeshifting from Inheritance is that there were really weird ways that you could end up playing an opponent's card. Is it possible for you to play a Goons while it is in your opponent's play area already? Maybe?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 10:53:25 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 02:27:52 am »
+3

No, because "you" in the below-the-line text refers to the person who played Goons. Or possibly the person who has Goons in their in-play area, one of those (those will always be the same person no matter what*). I'm not sure I can point to a rule or ruling that proves that, but it seems like the most natural way to read the text; and I would be very surprised if it worked otherwise.

Okay I guess Lighthouse already has to work this way, forcing the interpretation that "you" in a while-in-play clause specifically refers to the person whose play area it's in. That's a relief.

Ingix

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ingix
  • Respect: +424
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2020, 04:09:07 am »
+3

*Edit* Wait, maybe they won't always be the same person? I know one of the reasons for removing the Shapeshifting from Inheritance is that there were really weird ways that you could end up playing an opponent's card. Is it possible for you to play a Goons while it is in your opponent's play area already? Maybe?

I don't think so. The problem IIRC was that you were supposed to play a copy of an inherited Estate, but it wasn't clear in extreme situations who that Estate belonged to at the moment, and if both player had inherited different cards, you didn't know what your card did. So the problem was not playing opponent's cards, but (potentially) copying them.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2020, 12:42:41 pm »
+5

Donald has said that "while this is in play" is implicitly "while you have this in play", which means that only the player with Goons in play gets VP tokens.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.