Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Not enough village in Menagerie?  (Read 3270 times)

Wolphmaniac

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: DividedSpy
  • Respect: +279
    • View Profile
Not enough village in Menagerie?
« on: March 22, 2020, 12:41:10 pm »

Is anyone else finding that when they play with "Extra Menagerie" online, you're getting games with lots of terminals and no village?  It seems that in Menagerie there aren't enough villages to cover all the terminals, so when you're playing with Extra Menagerie you get lots of games heavy with terminals and no village support.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 12:44:56 pm by Wolphmaniac »

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
Re: Not enough village in Menagerie?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 01:37:24 pm »
+4

Menagerie has four villages (although Snowy Village has the restriction of making cards terminal), plus Way of the Ox.  Four out of 30 is a similar ratio to most other expansions
They/them

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 02:26:53 pm »
+1

If you take a look at Dominion statistics, they have labels for all the cards, including whether they are villages.  This includes some cards that are labeled as half a village, if their villaginess is inconsistent.

So I filtered out landscapes, and summed up the number of villages per expansion, divided by number of cards.  Note that this still includes stuff like Shelters and Colonies, because I didn't want to do the work to filter those out.

Expansion   #cards per village
Base   8.7
Intrigue   7.4
Seaside   8.7
Alchemy   6.5
Prosperity   8.7
Cornucopia   5.2
Hinterlands   10.4
Dark Ages   5.8
Guilds   6.5
Adventures   5
Empires   4.4
Nocturne   6.2
Promo   2.6
Renaissance   3.3
Grand Total   5.9

The number of cards per village has gone down over time.

Menagerie has 30 kingdom cards, and I would say 5.5 villages (Village Green, Hostelry, Hunting Lodge, Snowy Village, Mastermind, and Paddock as half-village).  So that puts it at 5.5 cards per village, or 6 cards per village if you don't count Paddock.  That puts it around Nocturne, and that's not counting Ox or all the village-events.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 02:46:04 pm by trivialknot »

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +766
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 09:53:20 am »
+3

The other thing to remember is that we have a number of action cards that can now be played without actions. I built a highly effective engine in one game with Displace/Sheep dog/Falconer. I got to use Way of horse, find my Displace to gain either a Sheep dog or a Falconer.

In spite of having exactly one action, I nonetheless, was building a full engine.

Likewise, you can build a surprisingly effective engine off Gamble with the right cards (e.g. I powered up Animal fair, bought plats, and then piled out). It would be even an even stronger option with Delay out as well. Certainly something like ultrathin Goons/Treasure/Gamble would easily crush BM-Goons going for provinces.

Delay also merits special notice. If buys and draw are cheap enough, you can easily set up an engine of something like Council room/Terminal where you begin each turn with 15 cards, play a single terminal and then delay your other 2 Cr to do it again the next turn. Obviously, if you have non-terminals, this gets even easier.

I could be wrong, but I think Menage is going to be more engine friendly than most of the original block of expansions.

Wolphmaniac

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: DividedSpy
  • Respect: +279
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 01:49:05 pm »

Excellent analysis, thanks guys.  I didn't know that there was a list of village ratios for each expansion... that was cool to see!

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 10:38:29 pm »

Village Green+Embassy sounds like a pretty tough combination, which surely outclasses vanilla Village+Smithy in the long run.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 21 queries.