Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: I think I can't play Dominion with my sets?!  (Read 2753 times)

jon

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
I think I can't play Dominion with my sets?!
« on: March 20, 2020, 03:03:29 pm »

Hey Eeryone,

I literally searched THE INTERNET but couldn´t find an answer.

I´ve played Magic when I was younger and now with Corona stumbled upon Dominion and thought it would be a good idea to try this (and convince my girlfriend too).

Without much research I bought the supplement set "base game + intrigue" (in German). When it arrived I realized that itý not playable without either the base game or the base card set. I bought only the base cards (thinking I wouldn´t need the whole base game).

I unpacked both now and am very unsure if I can play Dominion like this or if I need more material. I unpacked both packs so sending them back might be hard.

Can you help me shine a light on my unfortunate situation? What would be the best solution?

Thanks so much in advance
jon

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: I think I can't play Dominion with my sets?!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 03:10:40 pm »
+2

Welcome!

I'm not sure about the German editions; but I know that in English, Intrigue first edition came with the required base cards you need to play any game, but second edition did not; it was an expansion only.

If the "base pack" that you received contains the following cards, then you are good to go:

Copper
Silver
Gold
Estate
Duchy
Province
Curse

Those, along with whatever 10 piles you want to add from the Intrigue box are enough. You do not need the other different piles that came with the base game.

If you did not receive those 7 types of cards, then there are 2 ways to get them:

You can either purchase the main base game, which is a full playable game that Intrigue acts as an expansion to:
https://www.amazon.com/Rio-Grande-Games-Dominion-2nd/dp/B01LYLIS2U/ref=sr_1_1?

Or you can purchase just the "Base cards set", which comes only with the cards you need every game for any expansion, though by itself without any expansions cannot be used:
https://www.amazon.com/Rio-Grande-Games-Dominion-Cards/dp/B007MKLX84
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 03:14:22 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

jon

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 06:37:22 pm »

Hi GendoIkari,

thank you SO much for clarifying. I think I might be able to play after all. Those are the two sets I bought:

https://www.amazon.de/Rio-Grande-Games-22501404-Erweiterung/dp/B00IPAR7V2/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&dchild=1&keywords=dominion+basiskarten&qid=1584743083&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.de/Rio-Grande-Games-22501404-Erweiterung/dp/B06XDFZQ63/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&dchild=1&keywords=dominion%2Bbasiskarten&qid=1584743083&sr=8-1&th=1

I bought the second edition that is not a standalone version anymore. The "base pack" contains exactly those seven card types you mentioned.

The expansion as 7 cards from the "basic version" and 7 cards from "intrigue".  I guess that means all I have to do is choose 10 out of those 14 (randomly?) to play with?!
I´m a bit confused because all the examples for a game setup include cards that I don´t have.
Is it possible that those 10 cards might be way to complicated to play as beginners or should we be fine after a few rounds?

Sorry for asking so many dummy questions, but it seems like I´m in a pretty unique position.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 07:10:53 pm »

Hi GendoIkari,

thank you SO much for clarifying. I think I might be able to play after all. Those are the two sets I bought:

https://www.amazon.de/Rio-Grande-Games-22501404-Erweiterung/dp/B00IPAR7V2/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&dchild=1&keywords=dominion+basiskarten&qid=1584743083&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.de/Rio-Grande-Games-22501404-Erweiterung/dp/B06XDFZQ63/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&dchild=1&keywords=dominion%2Bbasiskarten&qid=1584743083&sr=8-1&th=1

I bought the second edition that is not a standalone version anymore. The "base pack" contains exactly those seven card types you mentioned.

The expansion as 7 cards from the "basic version" and 7 cards from "intrigue".  I guess that means all I have to do is choose 10 out of those 14 (randomly?) to play with?!
I´m a bit confused because all the examples for a game setup include cards that I don´t have.
Is it possible that those 10 cards might be way to complicated to play as beginners or should we be fine after a few rounds?

Sorry for asking so many dummy questions, but it seems like I´m in a pretty unique position.

Okay, so what you bought is the update pack for base game and Intrigue, which only has the new cards that were introduced in the 2nd edition printings. It was intended for people who already owned the 1st editions and wanted the new cards without having to buy the full game a second time.

In principle, you can play games with those cards by choosing 10 random cards out of the 14, but it can be a weird experience and you might get bored of it pretty soon since you'll be seeing a lot of the same cards every game. You might want to buy another expansion such as Seaside to go with it, that should make it more balanced and also give it more variety.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 08:28:32 pm »

It would be good to buy another expansion. I will recommend "Dominion: Guilds" because it has cards similar to the base game and will work nicely with the cards you already have. (specifically: two +Buy cards, two villages, and no oppressive attacks)

You can also try the game out online. It is free to play the base game: https://dominion.games/

Yes, that's what you would do. Here's a setup you can start with:

Harbinger, Poacher, Sentry, Artisan, Mill, Secret Passage, Patrol, Courtier, Bandit, Diplomat
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 08:33:45 pm by pubby »

jon

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2020, 07:14:12 am »

Thanks again guys, this is really helpful.

Are seaside and Guild both the same size card wise?

In the German forums, I´ve read a lot about seaside (being good).

I would like cards that are interactive, not too complicated, but also not too boring (I´ve read that about some cards from the early editions) (otherwise I might have no one to play Dominion with in the next weeks/months :)

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2020, 07:22:20 am »

Guilds is a small expansion, so I wouldn't recommend that for now. I think seaside is a good option when you want something interesting but not complicated.

jon

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2020, 11:59:09 am »

OK, got it. I will probably opt for Seaside then.

I want to do a few test games with the set of cards that pubby suggested:

Harbinger, Poacher, Sentry, Artisan, Mill, Secret Passage, Patrol, Courtier, Bandit, Diplomat

As I don´t have the normal base game - what basic cards fro the "base set" do I have to add for a 2/3 player game?

I have exactly what is in the base set:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007MKLX84/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_img_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=JWZRB2QDZJ3NCP8CN91E

Thanks again everyone - I hope this is my last question and I can explore Dominion by myself from this point on

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2020, 01:21:24 pm »
+1

You always use all Copper, Silver, and Gold.

For all victory cards (both the standard ones, Estate, Duchy, and Province; as well as Kingdom cards like Mill), use 8 in a 2-player game; 12 in a 3 or 4 player game.

For Curses, use 10 for each player except one (10 for 2-player, 20 for 3-player, 30 for 4-player).

Note that one of the main things that makes Dominion so good is the fact that every time you play it’s different because of the different sets of cards you can use. So playing the same 10 cards many times will not be as fun.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 01:22:29 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

jon

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2020, 03:18:09 pm »
+1

Hey GendoIkari,

thank you for answering so fast.

This would be my set up (for a three-player game) then:

I will use 60 (of my original 60) Copper
I will use 40(of my original 40) Silver
I will use 30 (of my original 30) Gold

I will use 0 (of my original 12) Platinum?

I will use 20 (of my original 30) Curses (btw can I play a 5 or 6 player game with only 30 curses?)

I will use 0(of my original 16) Potions?

I will use 12(of my original 24) Estates
I will use 12 (of my original 12) Duchies
I will use 12 (of my original 12) Provinces

I will use 0 (of my original 12) Colonies?

I will use 12 (of my original 13) Mills (provided with the extension set + Intrigue)

I will use the full stacks of the following ten card types that came with Intrigue (all have 11 cards each):

As all the card types of the expansion set have 11 cards each except the mill that has 13, am I correct to assume that each card type has 1 spare card or do I really use 11 cards per card type for a game?

Sorry again for asking so many newbie questions, but I got the others to test Dominion tonight and wanna know at least the set up so they aren´t too confused

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2020, 03:23:56 pm »
+1

Note that 1 of your 11 cards for each unique pile has a different back than the rest. Those are the randomizer cards; you can shuffle them all together and draw 10 of them to decide which cards to use each game. These different-backed cards should not be in the pile with the rest during the game.

So each pile in the game should only have 10, not 11 cards. Except victory cards like Mill, which have 8 or 12.

You would not use a Potions, Colony, or Platinum unless playing with other expansions that you don’t have (yet).

If your set only came with 30 Curses, then you cannot play with 5 or 6 players. You would need extra Curses and extra Provinces for that.

Yes, you would only use a pile of 8 Estates for 2-player or 12 for 3 or 4-Player. The reason for the other ones you have is because each player also starts with 3 Estates, so you would use all 24 in a 4-player game (12 in the pile, 3 in each player’s starting deck).
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 03:25:06 pm by GendoIkari »

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2020, 05:07:12 pm »
+2

So, if you got the upgrade pack, you probably didn't get a rule book, did you? If you go to Rio Grande Games, you can grab an electronic version of the base set rule book up where it says "Download Game Assets." (The rule books for all other expansions are online there, too.) That may make some things clearer for you.

You could also check the German publisher's website for rules in that language, if you prefer. I'm not sure whether they're available online or not, though.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2020, 05:29:15 pm »

I will use 20 (of my original 30) Curses (btw can I play a 5 or 6 player game with only 30 curses?)

According to the rules, you would need 50 Curses and 18 Provinces to play a 6-player game, but Dominion gets increasingly slow and chaotic the more players you have anyway, and that's the reason why the base game only supports up to 4 players — it's just not that great to play with more than 4. However, if you choose to do it anyway, I'm sure you'll be fine even if you use the wrong number of cards.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 21 queries.