Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: IsoDom: Challenge General Discussion  (Read 7957 times)

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
IsoDom: Challenge General Discussion
« on: March 21, 2012, 01:23:05 pm »

Welcome to IsoDom: Challenge!

To begin with, thank you everyone for your interest!  I hope everyone plays through to the end, but is you have any doubts in your ability to finish a round in time or the Tournament in general let me know as soon as possible!  In the event of a drop-out, one of two things will happen: either I will seek out an Alternate, or if that is not possible, all previous games played by the missing player will not count for Tournament Points and a bye will occur for future matches.  Since the Win-Loss record only counts in determining who wins each group this should not effect the other groups.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:15:40 pm by Mean Mr Mustard »
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
Re: IsoDom: Challenge General Discussion
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 02:17:25 pm »
+1

Just a passing thought if you run it as 8 groups of 8 with 62 then 2 groups would have 7. The groups with 7 could potentially have a match against one of the people in the other bracket. So that one week each player in the bracket of 7 plays against one in the other bracket of 7. Thus artificially boosting the number of players in both brackets to 8 and creating a scheme where everyone plays the same number of games. The problem is that if these brackets are different geographic locations or skill levels but basically the thought is (Ill provide three brackets one with 8 and the two with 7)

Players in bracket 1: A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H
Players in bracket 2(7 man): I, J, K, L, M, N, O
Players in bracket 3(7 man): P, Q, R, S, T, U, V

Week 1
A vs B
C vs D
E vs F
G vs H

I vs J
K vs L
M vs N

P vs Q
R vs S
T vs U

V vs O

IT takes a 8 man bracket 7 weeks to play everyone, it takes a 7 man bracket 6 weeks to play everyone and 1 extra week to play one opponent from the other bracket. (EDIT: The vs other bracket has to take place over the 7 weeks each because there is an odd man out otherwise ie one a week cross bracket)

« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 02:19:47 pm by Insomniac »
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 03:03:29 pm »

I think Insomniac may have a reasonable method, there.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 03:16:28 pm »

I think Insomniac may have a reasonable method, there.
Only obstacle is each person from Group 7A will face a different person (and level/seed) from Group 7B.  That may get tricky. 

ignorentmen

• Bishop
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 03:20:40 pm »

I just found out about this tourny from a friend. I have never played on Iso before or been part of this group--I have played with all card decks tho and would love to play.

If you would rather have someone with more history that is fine. 

Ignorentmen

Pacific Time--California

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 03:57:23 pm »

Ignorantmen:  your in.  Ninjabus too.  Stay tuned.
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>

RisingJaguar

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 04:37:33 pm »

If the multiplayer aspect will be a theme for this isodom.  It might be more fitting to take each bracket's top 2 players from the final and have them face in another 4-way match.   

Nucleus

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 04:42:13 pm »

Hello!
Can I express my opinion? I suggest making 2 group stages.
At 1st stage the players are divided into 8 groups of 8 where they play each other. Then the 3 top players of each group (24 players) advance to next group stage. Top players of Groups 1 and 2 form Group A, 3 and 4 -> Group B, 5 and 6 -> Group C, 7 and 8 -> Group D. So they have to play just 3 games with players came from another group. (I mean results for the players came from the same group will be taken into account) Then the group winners will play SUPER 4P FINAL  ;)
What do you think about this?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 04:48:42 pm by Nucleus »

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 04:46:39 pm »

A few notes:

I am working crazy long hours on weekends now so updates will be early and late, and a bit in the middle at lunch.  I am basically getting my forty hour week in on Fri-Sat-Sun.  So please don't expect quick responses from me until Monday.

Also, I looked into setting up a bracket for my side, but I am having trouble figuring out how to set it up having already made the match-ups for week one before hand.  I'll try to get to it soon, but no promises.  If the folks on my side want me to release next week's match-ups early I will do so.

Finally, I am very pleased by the incoming results so far; the players I was most worried about dropping have finished their matches early.  That is a great sign.  I have enjoyed quite a few of the match commentaries. 

Has anyone heard from or seen Ninjabus?  If he is spotted on Isotropic someone ask him to check in, okay?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 04:56:33 pm by Mean Mr Mustard »

BJ Penn

• Swindler
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 05:49:10 pm »

^ NinjaBus contacted me via personal message. We're set to go tomorrow afternoon.

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 05:56:23 pm »

A few notes:

I am working crazy long hours on weekends now so updates will be early and late, and a bit in the middle at lunch.  I am basically getting my forty hour week in on Fri-Sat-Sun.  So please don't expect quick responses from me until Monday.

Also, I looked into setting up a bracket for my side, but I am having trouble figuring out how to set it up having already made the match-ups for week one before hand.  I'll try to get to it soon, but no promises.  If the folks on my side want me to release next week's match-ups early I will do so.

Finally, I am very pleased by the incoming results so far; the players I was most worried about dropping have finished their matches early.  That is a great sign.  I have enjoyed quite a few of the match commentaries. 

Has anyone heard from or seen Ninjabus?  If he is spotted on Isotropic someone ask him to check in, okay?

Mustard--check your PM.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

rspeer

• Witch
  • Respect: +877
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 06:40:31 pm »

I'm paired against AHoppy, who hasn't logged in to this forum in a week. Any clever ideas to get his attention?

RisingJaguar

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 07:09:26 pm »
+2

I guess this is more specific for Kirian's bracket, but as the different matches are already broken down into the different weeks (and thus the different expansions), would it be okay to play at our own pace? Or would it be easier for the organizers to move week by week still?

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 08:02:05 pm »

I'm paired against AHoppy, who hasn't logged in to this forum in a week. Any clever ideas to get his attention?
PMed you.

If anyone else needs to get in touch with another player, let me know and I'll arrange it.

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012, 03:28:26 am »

I haven't heard back from JanErik either.

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2012, 03:17:53 pm »
+1

I guess this is more specific for Kirian's bracket, but as the different matches are already broken down into the different weeks (and thus the different expansions), would it be okay to play at our own pace? Or would it be easier for the organizers to move week by week still?

It would certainly be easier for me if you still moved week by week.  There are three reasons:

1.  It keeps me from having to determine which week to put the results in.
2.  It keeps me from having a deluge of results that I can't input for several days, which will cause me to lose track.
3.  It keeps the standings from placing anyone in a "dropout" situation--that is, when you see someone who's finished all their games as has 76 points, it's goin g to feel pointless to continue.

That said, I personally have no problem if people who can't get together one week come back and make up their games the next week or something; I'd much rather the games get played a few days late than not at all, though respecting the end of the tournament.

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2012, 04:23:31 pm »
+1

My attitude during previous IsoDoms was that the rule is play this week's games this week and next week's games next week.  However, if there is a known issue, like one player knows he can't play at all next week or something similar, exceptions will be granted.  But ask first.

In this case it is ultimately Kirian's call.  But I would echo his statement that it is better to have a bit of flexibility than to have people miss games.

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2012, 07:27:07 pm »
+3

So for week three four we are playing with Alchemy?

I've played a couple of "practice games" with 6 alchemy cards set with my brother (angrybirds) and noticed that a lot of the games end up being very very similar because the same potion cards keep popping up. Now, it could be that I am not playing these potion cards correctly..., but may I suggest that instead of using 6 Alchemy cards we use 3 or 4? Perhaps this would apply to Cornucopia as well but certainly not to the extent as Alchemy these cards seem to more often be "game changers." I felt that the first game with 6 potion cards was different from previous games, but the later ones just seemed to be minor variations on a theme compared to the intrigue and base games we have played thus far.

That said I am willing to play with 6 alchemy cards but would prefer to play with less and am wondering how MMM feels about it as well as the rest of the players.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 10:18:06 pm by yuma »

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2012, 10:02:13 pm »

Week three will be Seaside, which was released before Alchemy.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2012, 10:04:57 pm »

Having 3-4 Alchemy cards instead of 6 merits some consideration, I think. Potion-cost cards can be fairly dominating in large numbers, more so than having 6 cards from any other set, probably. I am happy to play it either way, and it's whatever Mr. Mustard wants of course, but I can see the argument for doing 3/4.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

andwilk

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +152
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2012, 10:10:52 pm »

I had wondered about the 6-card rule for the smaller expansions.  I feel like 4 cards would be sufficient, especially for Alchemy.  Otherwise, games in series with smaller expansions as the focus may start to feel similar.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 08:32:40 pm »

I suggest making a sticky that explains stuff.
I.E. Who/How/When can people join?
What is the format, how much one tourney lasts (I see there are Weeks, but I do not know is one week - one tourney or just one stage)?
What tourney is currently active?

Currently there are many threads, old and new, its kind of a mess for someone new to navigate.  :'(

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2012, 09:12:10 pm »

it isn't quite what you are looking for, but there is a stickied FAQ thread that explains a lot about the tournaments and other aspects of Dominion and this site.  you can find the post on tournaments here.

to very quickly sum up:
  • this particular tournament is not a bracket style tournament.  it is broken down into 8 groups of 8 players each
  • each player will play 7 games against the 7 other players of his/her group, getting 2 points for a win and 1 for a tie
  • top performers in each group move on to later games against the other top finishers
  • tournaments are held fairly regularly.  typically someone will start a thread promoting one and it will be up and open for registration for a week or two
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 01:50:02 pm by greatexpectations »
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 20 queries.