Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominion Menagerie: First Impressions  (Read 3031 times)

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
Dominion Menagerie: First Impressions
« on: March 18, 2020, 06:11:21 pm »
+3

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdx48pR9uNIs3Nc8LzQ3X-OlG5tKQG5Tpxiw6qR1Co6k-TiyQ/viewform?usp=sf_link

Rate each Dominion card (or card-shaped-object) on a scale from 0-10, with 10 being the most powerful. The cost of the card, not just the effect, should be taken into account for your score. I have a few suggestions:

1. Your name is "required," you can put anything there though -- I'd prefer some username that I can recognize so that I can make sure submissions are unique. If you troll me, I reserve the right to not count your input :-P

2. You can pick and choose which cards you rate -- feel free to leave some cards blank if you don't want to rate them for whatever reason.

3. You may use whatever criteria you like for your ratings, but I have a guideline that can be used as an example or a template if you would like something to get you started -- the examples in parentheses are just my opinions, feel free to disagree!

0 - Adding the card would make most decks worse than adding nothing (Scout, Secret Chamber)
1 - The card almost never sees play in good decks, and when it does, its effect is marginal at best
3 - The card is not necessarily bad, but usually doesn't play a key role in any deck; still not worth picking up some of the time
5 - The card plays a minor supporting role in many decks, or has some synergies that make it good in a few situations
7 - The card plays a support role in most decks, plays a critical role in many decks, or can be the backbone of good or mediocre decks with proper support
9 - The card is almost never ignorable, and usually plays a large role in the best decks that can be built
10 - The card warps the strategic and/or tactical landscape, causing most games to revolve around it. Ignoring or misusing the card will almost always result in a clear loss (Donate, King's Court)

This may be helpful for looking up what cards do: DS Wiki Menagerie page

This form will accept responses until Saturday, March 28, 2020. After that, I'll collect the data and write up a post similar to the ones I did for the last two expansions:
http://adamhorton.com/flog/dominion-nocturne-first-impressions/
http://adamhorton.com/flog/dominion-renaissance-first-impressions/
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 07:29:09 pm by AdamH »
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion Menagerie: First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 07:02:41 pm »
+1

Your link to the Menagerie wiki page doesn't work because the ")" is outside of it.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 07:29:31 pm »

Thanks for catching that. BBCode isn't a perfect markup language :-(

Jimmmy

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmy
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 08:47:32 am »
+1

Looking forward to the results (especially how people rate Ways).
And thanks for the work you've put into these card lists!

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +863
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 08:23:13 pm »

It's mind-boggling to me that some people actually rated Seize the Day lower than 8, let alone 3! I can't even imagine a game where you don't buy this so that's a solid 10/10 for me, and I thought basically everyone would agree on that.
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2020, 09:34:03 pm »

It's mind-boggling to me that some people actually rated Seize the Day lower than 8, let alone 3! I can't even imagine a game where you don't buy this so that's a solid 10/10 for me, and I thought basically everyone would agree on that.
i think that it can only be used one leaves it underwhelming.  It's like getting an outpost turn with an enchantress in play, once per game.

all other events greatly effect strategies in play on every turn. 
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

LostPhoenix

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lost Phoenix
  • Your resident lurker
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2020, 12:46:30 am »

i think that it can only be used one leaves it underwhelming.  It's like getting an outpost turn with an enchantress in play, once per game.

all other events greatly effect strategies in play on every turn.

It's a weird card in that it doesn't really affect strategies much, but is also never ignorable.

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1397
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2020, 01:29:03 am »
+1

Mastermind had particularly low variance
Uhh-huh, I'll believe that.

*cries in a corner*
My opponent has more loot than me
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 20 queries.