Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Can you get +actions when it isn't your turn?  (Read 8872 times)

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1351
    • View Profile
Re: Can you get +actions when it isn't your turn?
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2020, 07:18:01 pm »

Hmm, this was probably answered before because it was possible before; but if you drain a third pile or Provinces during Donate trashing; does the game end? Or is it already passed the end-of-turn check for endgame; giving one last turn?

The Wiki states:
End-game conditions are checked at the end of each player's turn. So if a player buys Donate and then empties the Provinces, the Donate effect will not occur.
Conversely, if two piles are empty and a player buys Donate, using its effect to trash Hunting Grounds and empty the Estates, the game will not end until the end of the next player's turn.
They/them

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1642
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2020, 07:18:06 pm »

Hmm, this was probably answered before because it was possible before; but if you drain a third pile or Provinces during Donate trashing; does the game end? Or is it already passed the end-of-turn check for endgame; giving one last turn?

Yup, this was answered. You only check end-game conditions at the end of each player's turn. So the next turn will happen (during which the a pile could end up non-empty again, letting the game continue).

SSLY

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: SSLY
  • aka Seesaw
  • Respect: +27
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2020, 07:25:04 pm »
+2

was answered like this
The end-of-game check is after the turn, and followed by "after this turn." I have previously ruled that you don't get an Outpost turn if the game ended.

Piling out during between turns has already been thing with Catacomb and Donate, but producing/spending Actions and Coins during between turns is new thing.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 07:29:43 pm by SSLY »

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2020, 07:39:08 pm »
+1

But now, it can matter. With Black Cat, Way of the Mouse, Diadem, and Storyteller or Black Market, you can do all sorts of crazy things when it isn't your turn, including playing a Diadem and buying a card while it isn't your turn.
Japanese players expand your fascinating idea and finally success to play any Action and Treasures between turns. Resolving Donate, trash a Catacomb to gain a Throne Room to which to react with a Sheepdog, using Way of the Mouse of Vassal, yes, play the Throne Room! You might have another Throne Room in your hand, nest it, play cards from hand! You can do almost anything between turns.

You could spend any Action/Coin/Potion (which you got during a turn) with Diadem/BM etc between turns unless you lost them until you end the turn. Do you lose at the end of turn either?

Oh, good question. When do you lose your actions and money? At the end of your turn, or at the beginning of the next turn?
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2020, 11:08:11 pm »

But now, it can matter. With Black Cat, Way of the Mouse, Diadem, and Storyteller or Black Market, you can do all sorts of crazy things when it isn't your turn, including playing a Diadem and buying a card while it isn't your turn.
Japanese players expand your fascinating idea and finally success to play any Action and Treasures between turns. Resolving Donate, trash a Catacomb to gain a Throne Room to which to react with a Sheepdog, using Way of the Mouse of Vassal, yes, play the Throne Room! You might have another Throne Room in your hand, nest it, play cards from hand! You can do almost anything between turns.

You could spend any Action/Coin/Potion (which you got during a turn) with Diadem/BM etc between turns unless you lost them until you end the turn. Do you lose at the end of turn either?

Oh, good question. When do you lose your actions and money? At the end of your turn, or at the beginning of the next turn?

I think the wording is implied that it’s an end of turn things so you wouldn’t have any actions during the Donate.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Ingix

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ingix
  • Respect: +424
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2020, 05:55:38 am »

From Donald X.'s answer above in the thread it seems the "accounts" for Actions, $, etc. are reset when a turn starts. Maybe they are also reset when the turn ends, but that seems superflous for 99.99% of cases and for 100% from before Menagerie. So I would assume if you manage to play Diadem between turns, it would count your Actions you have acrued (and not used up) in the turn that is just over (and maybe even between turns until now).
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 06:04:44 am by Ingix »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2020, 11:25:23 am »

I'm going by the rulebook:

Any unused +Actions, unused +Buys, or unspent that you had left are gone; you start each turn fresh.

This is written under the Clean-up Phase instructions; which seems clear enough to me that it's saying that this is a thing that happens during Clean-up Phase.

Although to be fair, it also says that immediately after "Play passes to the player to your left".... and we do know that Donate happens before play passes to the player to your left.... well now I just don't know.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2020, 12:05:15 pm »

What would make most sense to me is that coin, actions and buys are all reset to zero for all players when any player's turn begins. Then the current player gets 1 action. Then the Action phase begins and at-start-of-turn triggers are applied.

That would mean you did still have any surplus actions or coin from the previous turn during a Donate.

But that's just what I'd expect. I agree that the rules appear completely silent on the nitty-gritty of this issue.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2020, 01:45:22 pm »

Innovation doesn't work during your Donate, right? At first I thought this could have come up pre-Menagerie, but I suppose since Innovation is only on your turn, and it isn't your turn while you are doing Donate (it is in between turns), then it doesn't work?

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1642
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2020, 02:06:40 pm »

Innovation doesn't work during your Donate, right? At first I thought this could have come up pre-Menagerie, but I suppose since Innovation is only on your turn, and it isn't your turn while you are doing Donate (it is in between turns), then it doesn't work?

That's correct. From my doc:
When you resolve Donate, it’s possible to gain cards by trashing e.g. Catacombs. You trash several cards at once, see TRIGGERED ABILITY. But remember that it’s not your (or any player’s) turn, so Bridge Troll, Canal, Capitalism, Citadel, Haunted Castle, Innovation, Labyrinth, The River’s Gift, your −$2 Cost token and your Estate token have no effect.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 20 queries.