Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Invest  (Read 3121 times)

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
Invest
« on: March 17, 2020, 05:21:55 pm »

I just read the Invest event.  That seems insane, especially for its cost, although I suppose there is a self-limiting factor that Action cards that are especially popular you're less likely to want to Invest in.

It might make for a powerful combination with Looters, though.  Invest in a Ruin, and every time someone gains a copy of that Ruin, you get +2 cards.  Cultist + Invested Ruin could cause your deck to really explode, especially in multiplayer where the likelihood of that particular Ruin being gained by one of your opponents is higher
They/them

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: Invest
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 05:29:09 pm »
+3

I just noticed that there's some interesting wording. "When another player [gains or] Invests in a copy of it..."

Implicitly, it's very obvious what this means; when they exile it from the supply using the Invest event. But it requires human intuition to know this. A computer by default would not automatically see purchasing the event and choosing a card as "investing in" that card.

I think it's cool; it basically introduces a new keyword subtly without it needing to be defined explicitly in the rules. We now know that "Invest in" means "exile from the supply using the Invest event". Which is language we all would have naturally used when talking about it, just like how we talked about an Inherited Estate.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 05:32:07 pm »
+1

Investing in Rats could pay off quite nicely
They/them

sc0UT

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: sc0UT
  • Respect: +106
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 05:51:42 pm »

It might make for a powerful combination with Looters, though.  Invest in a Ruin, and every time someone gains a copy of that Ruin, you get +2 cards.  Cultist + Invested Ruin could cause your deck to really explode, especially in multiplayer where the likelihood of that particular Ruin being gained by one of your opponents is higher

If you invest Ruined Market, you only get +2 Cards when another player gains/invests Ruined Market. The Ruin pile has a mean of 20% of each Ruin, so 2 cards in a 2p game. You need 6 players for guaranteed 10 Ruined Markets. Not so strong in my eyes.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 06:10:16 pm by sc0UT »

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 06:11:35 pm »

You misunderstood the Event, I think. If you invest Ruined Market, you only get +2 Cards when another player gains/invests Ruined Market, not when they gain/invest a different Ruin, e.g. Survivors. The card name matters, not its type. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The Ruin pile has a mean of 20% Ruined Markets, so 2-3 cards in a 2p game. Not so strong in my eys.

No, I understand, that's why I mentioned "that particular Ruin".  Obviously it wouldn't work if it's a different Ruin.  With Cultist + an Invested Ruin, Cultist's chaining could make the chance of someone gaining the Ruin you invested in fairly high.  Though, on further thought, probably still not enough to make it worthwhile
They/them

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 06:29:49 pm »
+1

My hunch is that it will play out as a stronger variant on Embargo. The card to put it on is the one everyone is fighting over: something like Rebuild or King's Court.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 06:37:03 pm »

My hunch is that it will play out as a stronger variant on Embargo. The card to put it on is the one everyone is fighting over: something like Rebuild or King's Court.

The catch there is that you can't use the card you Invested in.  Of  course, since it only costs $4, you can Invest in it before you could ever buy it for expensive actions

It would also work nicely with Experiment.  Not only is it +4 cards every time someone buys one (since they'll get two, except in the infrequent situation where there's only one left), but the pile doesn't usually run out, and when it does, it's only temporary.  The same physical copies keep getting gained again and again
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 06:39:27 pm by mxdata »
They/them

sc0UT

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: sc0UT
  • Respect: +106
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2020, 06:41:57 pm »
+1

No, I understand, that's why I mentioned "that particular Ruin".

Yes, of course. Corrected my reply after I noticed that I read your post wrong, sry.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2020, 07:34:37 pm »
+1

I just noticed that there's some interesting wording. "When another player [gains or] Invests in a copy of it..."

I noticed that too. Is this the first official example of using the name of a card-shaped thing as a verb?

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2020, 07:49:12 pm »

It would also work nicely with Experiment.
The thing is, if you Invest in Experiment, people can decide not to buy it. You want to Invest in something they'll (however reluctantly) buy anyway. Or at least something that you'd get a significant advantage out of being the only person to buy.

allanfieldhouse

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +374
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2020, 09:19:19 pm »
+2

I just read the Invest event.

I have not...mind editing the text into the OP?

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2020, 09:26:20 pm »
+3

They/them

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2020, 11:24:02 pm »
+1

Check out the Chrome extension for card autolink! Especially useful shortly after a new set releases.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2020, 02:21:52 am »
+1

Check out the Chrome extension for card autolink! Especially useful shortly after a new set releases.

I have the extension but I don't see the card links in peoples' posts.  What am I doing wrong? I have version 1.33.  Oh, please talk to me like I'm 5.  I'm not a computer guy.  The extension doesn't actually seem to be doing anything.  It is turned on for all sites.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2020, 10:03:28 am »
+1

I have the extension but I don't see the card links in peoples' posts.  What am I doing wrong? I have version 1.33.  Oh, please talk to me like I'm 5.  I'm not a computer guy.  The extension doesn't actually seem to be doing anything.  It is turned on for all sites.

So awkwardly, version 1.33 seems to have a bug that affects the latest version of Chrome; waiting for Google to allow my updated version through which fixes it. But when it is fixed, you need to check the "Autolink cards" checkbox at the top of the thread page (next to the page selection). It will remember when you've checked it so you'll only have to do it once.

Only the Autolink is bugged though; you should still be seeing the other features such as the dominion icons below the smileys, and the card link and card image and kingdom buttons on the page where you write posts.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 10:05:41 am by GendoIkari »

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2020, 01:56:52 am »

Okay thanks! You're right I see the icons, I was just being dumb I guess.  Looking forward to the fixed version! It should make these threads with the new cards much better
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.