Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Rating games when multiplayer resignation occurs  (Read 2155 times)

handman

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Rating games when multiplayer resignation occurs
« on: March 10, 2020, 07:52:45 pm »

Hi all, apologies if this is covered somewhere, have searched but... playing 3p game was in the lead. 3rd player resigns - game becomes unrated - who gets any rating points? Does the reisgning player face any penalty (as in the 2p game)

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
Re: Rating games when multiplayer resignation occurs
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 08:40:20 pm »
+1

Hi all, apologies if this is covered somewhere, have searched but... playing 3p game was in the lead. 3rd player resigns - game becomes unrated - who gets any rating points? Does the reisgning player face any penalty (as in the 2p game)

The ratings are updated as if the two remaining players got 1.5 wins against the resigning player. So there's an additional rating penalty for resigning from 3p games.

handman

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 08:25:38 pm »

Thank you for the reply - so what happens in a 4 player game? still the i.5? or down to 1.3?

Also I guess there is no penalty for subsequent players resigning as the game becomes unrated?

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 09:26:53 pm »

Thank you for the reply - so what happens in a 4 player game? still the i.5? or down to 1.3?

Also I guess there is no penalty for subsequent players resigning as the game becomes unrated?

Yes, once the game reloads as unrated the outcome doesn't impact your level.

I tried to find a specific description of what happens in four player, but couldn't turn anything up. Here is Stef's (the developer) description of the 3p case:
http://forum.shuffleit.nl/index.php?topic=1855.msg6981#msg6981

Without really knowing, I'd guess it's exactly the same as 3p (1.5 wins for everyone against the resigning player).

markus

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: markus
  • Respect: +434
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 02:38:23 am »

I'm not sure about 4 players, either.

I just want to point out that you are more or less getting 2 wins against the resigning player. If everyone had the same skill, you would be expected to tie (0.5 win points). Getting 1.5 win points means that you are 1 win point above expectation. That is the same as if you become 1st in a 3 player game against equal opponents: there, you would be 0.5 above expectation against player 2 and 0.5 above expectation against player 3. The idea is really that the other 2 players end up 1st in the game and the resigning player pays for that by getting worse than last.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 20 queries.