Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Militia rule change  (Read 16304 times)

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3960
    • View Profile
Re: Militia rule change
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2020, 03:50:50 pm »

I haven't seen anyone mention that the ruling here could force additional cards to be discarded after reaching the hand size.

Example:
I have bought Sewers and have five cards in hand, including Tunnel and Watchtower.
Opponent plays Militia.
I discard Tunnel.
I reveal Watchtower to trash the gained Gold.
I use Sewers to trash a card from my hand.
I now have three cards left in my hand.

If I discard until I have 3 cards left then I'm done, but if the number of cards to discard is decided when Militia is played I must still discard one more and will end up with just two cards left.

This could be done, but I don't think anyone is going to specifically advocate for this interpretation.  It feels sort of weird to finalize the number up front and stay locked in to it.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2020, 04:04:59 pm »

I haven't seen anyone mention that the ruling here could force additional cards to be discarded after reaching the hand size.

Example:
I have bought Sewers and have five cards in hand, including Tunnel and Watchtower.
Opponent plays Militia.
I discard Tunnel.

If I discard until I have 3 cards left then I'm done, but if the number of cards to discard is decided when Militia is played I must still discard one more and will end up with just two cards left.

This could not happen, because as I've said, the ruling is that when you discard several cards at once, when-discard abilities don't trigger until after you've discarded all the cards.

So you discard Tunnel and one more card, and then you gain Gold and trash. But Militia has already made you discard 2 cards and that's it.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 04:06:32 pm by Jeebus »

theorel

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: theorel
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2020, 04:10:40 pm »
+2

Example:
Opponent plays Militia.
I discard Tunnel.

You're creating an odd scenario where you discard 1-at-a-time, to a set number determined at the start.  I believe the two options are:
Discard 1 at a time until 3 cards or less in hand. (can react after each discard)
Discard all at once down to 3 cards or less in hand. (only react after all are discarded)

Now option 2 combined with Sewers and Tunnel and Watchtower can result in a 2-card hand, because you react after the discard, and choose to trash 1 of your remaining cards.  But it's not because you have a discard leftover after reaching 3 cards.  Option 1 you would discard 1-at-a-time and end after trashing.

I think though that for the discard-gain gold, trash something from hand, draw a card (Catacombs+Blessed Village, or just Overgrown Estate or Rats).  This actually gets you to 3 cards and 2 discarded + 1 trashed either way.  The only difference is whether you can discard the drawn card/watchtower or not.

Option 1 goes: discard-trash-draw, at 4 cards, discard again.  Option 2 goes: discard 2 (at 3)-trash-draw, at 3 cards now.  You'd need to be able to trash due to discard from outside your hand to cause the issue that Village Green causes.

So, option 1 you can discard the drawn card or Watchtower, whereas option 2 you must discard an original non-Watchtower card.

EDIT: it's also possible that option 1 terminates the discard while you're mid-reaction since you reached 3 cards at some point.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 04:13:40 pm by theorel »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2020, 04:28:22 pm »
+1

I didn't know that (or maybe I forgot). Are you sure Donald has ruled that you don't have to reveal all the cards when you discard one at a time for Militia? Do you have a link to that?

I found the post I was remembering. Specifically (bolding mine):

I think it's more natural to discard one at a time to Militia, given the phrasing; especially considering it lines up with Library etc. This could give you an infinite loop with "when you discard this, +1 card" and well that card doesn't exist. I'd rather not have a special ruling and with no special ruling and nothing in the rulebooks, "discard down to 3" sounds to me like I keep discarding until I have 3 (or fewer dammit). However you don't need to reveal the cards below the top one because somehow the rulebook says this.

Maybe I'm incorrect in calling that a ruling. It looks like Donald was maybe still in the process of deciding there.

Ha, ha, he talks about "when you discard this, +1 card" in there.

A couple things here... he says that the rulebook says you don't need to reveal the cards below the top one; but not sure exactly what he's talking about... if he's talking about the recently quoted "If you discard multiple cards at once, you do not need to reveal them all, just the one you put on top." then I don't see the exact relevance here... that rule isn't about Militia, it's a general rule... as Jeebus was saying earlier. Using that rule to say that with Militia opponents only see the top card is already assuming that Militia fits into the "multiple cards at once" category.

The other thing, he mentions a potential infinite loop. I'm curious if he actually meant infinite. With Village Green; you can only discard 10 Village Greens and then you're done. No way to make that go infinite, unless there's some other fancier combo he had in mind.

Finally, I looked into the second edition rulebook, in the Militia FAQ. It says:
"Players with 3 or fewer cards in hand do not discard any cards. Players with more cards discard until they only have 3."

The "until" there really makes it sound like it's one-at-a-time; though not necessarily definitively.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2020, 04:31:00 pm »

Example:
Opponent plays Militia.
I discard Tunnel.

I don't think this is a possible interpretation simply due to Diplomat. We know for sure that revealing Diplomat to Militia would result in you ending at 3 cards after drawing 2, discarding 3, then discarding 1 more to Militia to get to 3. In other words, Diplomat changes Militia's "discard 2" into a "discard 1".
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3960
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2020, 04:32:21 pm »

If I understand, flynd's scenario is like this:

Let D = N - 3, where N is the number of cards in your hand.
If N > 0, repeat N times:
   Discard one card from your hand

Then the scenario plays out as described.

I do not advocate for that interpretation being implemented, but it's not illogical and it does have the same effect unless interactions with attack or discard are in effect.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2020, 04:36:53 pm »

I do not advocate for that interpretation being implemented, but it's not illogical and it does have the same effect unless interactions with attack or discard are in effect.

But Diplomat.

Unless N is checked after all the "first" stuff is done and we're onto actually resolving the card's instructions. I suppose that could then work under that interpretation. But I still think it would be a very awkward interpretation, one that people wouldn't naturally come to ever.

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2020, 04:37:16 pm »

No, Flynd was not saying that. He said (my bolding):

And I replied above, saying why he's wrong.
EDIT: Sorry, that's what Flynd was saying. But he's still wrong for the same reason.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 04:49:03 pm by Jeebus »

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2020, 04:42:16 pm »

But Diplomat.

Unless N is checked after all the "first" stuff is done and we're onto actually resolving the card's instructions. I suppose that could then work under that interpretation. But I still think it would be a very awkward interpretation, one that people wouldn't naturally come to ever.

I don't think Diplomat is relevant. We do first do all the "first" stuff, which includes Diplomat. That is all over before we start resolving the Militia.
But Flynd's scenario is wrong because of what I stated above.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 04:47:31 pm by Jeebus »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2020, 04:43:17 pm »

No, Flynd was not saying that. He said (my bolding):

And I replied above, saying why he's wrong.

Minotaur's post sounds exactly like what you just quoted flynd as saying... what do you think is different?

And flynd is talking about the rule of one-at-a-time. So your response of dealing with all triggers after all discards are done doesn't apply here.

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2020, 04:52:05 pm »

Minotaur's post sounds exactly like what you just quoted flynd as saying... what do you think is different?

And flynd is talking about the rule of one-at-a-time. So your response of dealing with all triggers after all discards are done doesn't apply here.

Yes, I see now that Minotaur's description was accurate. But Flynd's post was a weird mix, just as Theorel said. If the number of cards to discard is decided when Militia is played, then Militia tells you to discard x cards, so there is no one-at-a-time. Tunnel doesn't trigger until x cards are discarded. That rule is indeed very relevant. Flynd's scenario cannot happen under any ruling.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 04:53:07 pm by Jeebus »

flynd

• Swindler
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2020, 05:14:28 pm »

The examples I saw early in this thread was of drawing additional cards while resolving Militia and whether the increased hand size would require additional cards to be discarded.
The point of my earlier post was to show that it could also be the other way around, i.e. reactions can reduces the hand size. If drawing additional cards would force additional discards it also means that reducing the hand size by reactions will result in fewer discards due to the attack.
I'm not advocating whether it should be "discard one card at a time until reaching 3" or "discard all cards at once and then react". I just wanted to show another scenario that will also be affected by the ruling.

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2020, 05:16:35 pm »

The examples I saw early in this thread was of drawing additional cards while resolving Militia and whether the increased hand size would require additional cards to be discarded.
The point of my earlier post was to show that it could also be the other way around, i.e. reactions can reduces the hand size. If drawing additional cards would force additional discards it also means that reducing the hand size by reactions will result in fewer discards due to the attack.
I'm not advocating whether it should be "discard one card at a time until reaching 3" or "discard all cards at once and then react". I just wanted to show another scenario that will also be affected by the ruling.

But what you're missing is that in those scenarios, Militia does not lock in the number beforehand; it just tells you to keep discarding until you have 3.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2020, 05:20:28 pm »
+2

I didn't know that (or maybe I forgot). Are you sure Donald has ruled that you don't have to reveal all the cards when you discard one at a time for Militia? Do you have a link to that?

I think it's more natural to discard one at a time to Militia, given the phrasing; especially considering it lines up with Library etc. This could give you an infinite loop with "when you discard this, +1 card" and well that card doesn't exist. I'd rather not have a special ruling and with no special ruling and nothing in the rulebooks, "discard down to 3" sounds to me like I keep discarding until I have 3 (or fewer dammit). However you don't need to reveal the cards below the top one because somehow the rulebook says this.

Maybe I'm incorrect in calling that a ruling. It looks like Donald was maybe still in the process of deciding there.

A couple things here... he says that the rulebook says you don't need to reveal the cards below the top one; but not sure exactly what he's talking about... if he's talking about the recently quoted "If you discard multiple cards at once, you do not need to reveal them all, just the one you put on top." then I don't see the exact relevance here... that rule isn't about Militia, it's a general rule... as Jeebus was saying earlier. Using that rule to say that with Militia opponents only see the top card is already assuming that Militia fits into the "multiple cards at once" category.

The other thing, he mentions a potential infinite loop. I'm curious if he actually meant infinite. With Village Green; you can only discard 10 Village Greens and then you're done. No way to make that go infinite, unless there's some other fancier combo he had in mind.

Finally, I looked into the second edition rulebook, in the Militia FAQ. It says:
"Players with 3 or fewer cards in hand do not discard any cards. Players with more cards discard until they only have 3."

The "until" there really makes it sound like it's one-at-a-time; though not necessarily definitively.
You play Village Green when you discard it; you don't play "when you discard this, +1 Card." The latter goes infinite with one-at-a-time Militia; Village Green does not.

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2020, 05:26:18 pm »

Didn't think about checking the Militia description. The first edition rulebook also says this. To me it's pretty definite that "discard until they have 3" is one at a time. So if the idea is to match the rulebooks, the ruling shouldn't be changed.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2020, 05:27:26 pm »

You play Village Green when you discard it; you don't play "when you discard this, +1 Card." The latter goes infinite with one-at-a-time Militia; Village Green does not.

Ah, right.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2020, 05:35:23 pm »

The rules for discarding say that if you discard multiple cards, you only have to reveal the one that ends up on top of the discard pile. Militia says as you've quoted.

There is no conflict there; it could just be that you discard one at a time, and Militia means they'll see all the discarded cards. That fits the rulebook the best so that's compelling.

However, over the years, everyone has always thought that Militia was affected by that rule about revealed discards. So even "not changing" this changes it.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2020, 05:41:15 pm »

The rules for discarding say that if you discard multiple cards, you only have to reveal the one that ends up on top of the discard pile. Militia says as you've quoted.

There is no conflict there; it could just be that you discard one at a time, and Militia means they'll see all the discarded cards. That fits the rulebook the best so that's compelling.

Right, this is what I was meaning to say. That the rule about only seeing the top card doesn't necessarily deal with Militia unless a separate rule says that Militia is multiple at once.

However, over the years, everyone has always thought that Militia was affected by that rule about revealed discards. So even "not changing" this changes it.

Yeah, I agree; that's basically what I was saying in the other thread... that it's easy for people to already think of Militia as "discarding multiple cards" in general, and this rule simply confirms in those people's minds that "if multiple cards are discarded; they must be discarded all at once". Even though they are technically reading something into it that's not there.

I think the bigger issue with one-at-a-time is that if that's the rule, then you need another rule about how to handle Village Green. Or Tunnel/Watchtower/Sewer/Catacombs/Blessed Village. And either option you choose for that one seems equally confusing (either people assume that they've already been at 3 cards, so they shouldn't have to keep discarded. Or people assume that they didn't yet finish dealing with Militia until they got back up to 4 cards, so they should have to keep discarding).

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2020, 05:52:25 pm »

Or Tunnel/Watchtower/Sewer/Catacombs/Blessed Village.

Minor issue: Isn't Theorel right that this combo doesn't raise the question? If you trash after discarding 1 card, you draw back up to 4, then discard again to Militia, ending up at 3 cards after having discarded 2. If you trash after discarding 2 cards, you draw back up to 3, and again there's no question. (We needed to draw more than 1 card.)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2020, 06:01:24 pm »
+1

Is there A .a special rule that whenever you discard a group of cards, you must select one of those cards to reveal to all players, or is there B. a general rule that after each "thing" that happens, other players get a chance to see the state of the top card of your discard pile before you partake in the next "thing". 

A. seems a little silly, but if it has always been A, then militia is necessarily discarding 2 cards, because otherwise we would view the first card discarded because it individually comprises a group of 1 card and at least one of that group of 1 must be revealed.

I feel like B still allows for two different interpretations of Militia, while most people seem to post that it only allows for one.  The first interpretation is that Militia causes you to discard two cards.  The second interpretation is that Militia has you recursively discard cards one at a time until you reach 3, but this entire process is considered a single "thing".  Stacking the cards and discarding them is just, doing the "thing" so "quickly" that players can't pick up on some of the information about the process - though they are still able to glean information about the second card.   

There are lots of spicy takes if I can convince people that second interpretation is plausible.  For instance, if discarding three cards and gaining a gold for the Sky's Gift is a single thing you could use the gold to hide all three cards (but you could still also show the third one if they are decided to be separate events.)

(A few replies were posted while I was typing.)

guidobass

• Alchemist
  • Shuffle iT Username: guidobass
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2020, 06:26:43 pm »

Other than the updated shuffle rule, "+2 cards" is identical to "+1 card, +1 card".

I thought that was only true for Draw-to-X? If it's true in general, though, I agree that it makes sense for "Discard down to 3" to be equivalent to "Discard [(your hand size)-3] cards".
However, either way, I'm with Jeebus on the "should it be changed for the purpose a few obscure interactions" issue.

Unless it changed with the new shuffle rule; it was definitely true originally. It mattered for Stash. With the new shuffle rule it is technically possible that you could draw 2 cards at the same time, but I don't know if it's written in the rules anywhere in second edition.

What is the "new shuffle rule" that you reference?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2020, 06:36:35 pm »
+1

Other than the updated shuffle rule, "+2 cards" is identical to "+1 card, +1 card".

I thought that was only true for Draw-to-X? If it's true in general, though, I agree that it makes sense for "Discard down to 3" to be equivalent to "Discard [(your hand size)-3] cards".
However, either way, I'm with Jeebus on the "should it be changed for the purpose a few obscure interactions" issue.

Unless it changed with the new shuffle rule; it was definitely true originally. It mattered for Stash. With the new shuffle rule it is technically possible that you could draw 2 cards at the same time, but I don't know if it's written in the rules anywhere in second edition.

What is the "new shuffle rule" that you reference?
Old school rules on shuffling was that when you draw 2 or more cards, you draw as many as you can, then stop and shuffle your discard pile into your deck, then continue drawing until you've drawn the number you're supposed to.
New rule is that when you draw 2 or more cards and can see already there's not going to be enough, you shuffle your discard piled face down, slide it underneath your deck, then draw all the cards you need all at once.

These are usually equivalent excepting for a couple narrow card interactions.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2020, 06:42:08 pm »

Minor issue: Isn't Theorel right that this combo doesn't raise the question? If you trash after discarding 1 card, you draw back up to 4, then discard again to Militia, ending up at 3 cards after having discarded 2. If you trash after discarding 2 cards, you draw back up to 3, and again there's no question. (We needed to draw more than 1 card.)

The situation/question is the first one... you discard Tunnel, trash Catacombs (now have 3 cards) then draw 1 for Sea's Gift, putting you back to 4. You say “then discard again to Militia”, but that’s exactly what the question is... do you have to discard again to Militia or not? Yes because Militia's discard hasn’t finished until you finished everything and drew back up to 4? Or no because you did at some point in all of that get down to 3 cards,  and then drew another one after? It’s the same basic question as Village Green, just with a lot more pieces needed to trigger the card draw as part of discarding.

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2020, 07:30:58 pm »

The situation/question is the first one... you discard Tunnel, trash Catacombs (now have 3 cards) then draw 1 for Sea's Gift, putting you back to 4. You say “then discard again to Militia”, but that’s exactly what the question is... do you have to discard again to Militia or not? Yes because Militia's discard hasn’t finished until you finished everything and drew back up to 4? Or no because you did at some point in all of that get down to 3 cards,  and then drew another one after? It’s the same basic question as Village Green, just with a lot more pieces needed to trigger the card draw as part of discarding.

It's not the exact same question though, because it's not discarding to Militia that gets you to 3. With Village Green the question is whether Militia is satisfied after making you discard a card that gets you to 3, so it's enough that Militia is checking after each discard effect. In your scenario, Militia would be continually checking. To me, "discard cards until you have 3" is equivalent to "do this until you have 3: discard a card", which means Militia checks after each card discarded.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2020, 07:34:00 pm »
+1

I think the bigger issue with one-at-a-time is that if that's the rule, then you need another rule about how to handle Village Green. Or Tunnel/Watchtower/Sewer/Catacombs/Blessed Village. And either option you choose for that one seems equally confusing (either people assume that they've already been at 3 cards, so they shouldn't have to keep discarded. Or people assume that they didn't yet finish dealing with Militia until they got back up to 4 cards, so they should have to keep discarding).
While we can set up a scenario where you Militia and I have Village Green and want the card right now, in practice it's not a thing. No-one gets confused because no-one wants the card then. So, that potential confusion shouldn't be a deciding factor in how the situation actually plays out.

In general we want the most clear intuitive thing for the vast number of cases of using the cards, and can have a rulebook or online FAQ for obscure situations.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 1.18 seconds with 21 queries.