Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17  All

Author Topic: Menagerie Bonus Previews  (Read 157983 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Menagerie Bonus Previews
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2020, 06:46:23 am »
+4

Way of Lord Rattington.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Reefersleep

• Pawn
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2020, 08:02:37 am »
+7

Way of The Rat looks great to me; I'm always looking for more ways to gain Grand Markets, and now I can do it via copper!

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2020, 08:10:06 am »
+4

Kinda nice if you dud with Prince.

Wizard_Amul

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2020, 09:36:12 am »
+8

Way of Lord Rattington.

I can totally see Lord Rattington use this every turn and never actually play any of his actions for their usual on-play effect. It would be funny to see him empty the Chapel pile.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2020, 10:16:21 am »
+1

I really like how well-balanced these Ways seem, a lot of thought must have gone into them. Like, you're usually not going to use them most of the time you're playing an action, but they still add something interesting to a game.

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2020, 10:39:39 am »
+4

Rats will be shocked to find out that the way of the rats is different from the way of the rat.

Yeah, it's way different.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 08, 2020, 11:23:48 am »
+5

I really like how well-balanced these Ways seem, a lot of thought must have gone into them. Like, you're usually not going to use them most of the time you're playing an action, but they still add something interesting to a game.

Turtle, Chameleon, and Rat are extra cool here. With all Ways; there’s an interesting balance problem to solve... the Way can be used with an action that cost $2, or with an action that cost $5. So it can’t give a $5 strength effect; otherwise it’s way too good when used with a $2 cost action. But those three (so far) give you a better effect when you use a better card with it. Whereas the other 2 revealed Ways give you the same effect no matter what; making them much better if used with a worse/cheaper action.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 08, 2020, 11:28:28 am »
+2

I think Way of the Rat will make sense any time you want to collect many copies of a spammable card, and playing a copy of the spammable card gives you a lesser effect than buying another. As mentioned, Grand Market is the most obvious example of this.

The other significant category is cards with below-the-line effects. Using it on Highway or Haggler could easily make sense.

As a minor special case, if you throne a throne, you could throne some stuff, then use Way of the Rat on your final invocation of the throned throne to get yourself another throne.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 08, 2020, 11:34:31 am »

I think Way of the Rat will make sense any time you want to collect many copies of a spammable card, and playing a copy of the spammable card gives you a lesser effect than buying another. As mentioned, Grand Market is the most obvious example of this.

The other significant category is cards with below-the-line effects. Using it on Highway or Haggler could easily make sense.

As a minor special case, if you throne a throne, you could throne some stuff, then use Way of the Rat on your final invocation of the throned throne to get yourself another throne.

Way of the Rat + a cheap card would also be a way to get Wayfarer for  cheap.  Especially if the cheap card is a cantrip, like, say, Pearl Diver
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2020, 11:38:14 am »
+3

Way of the Rat + a cheap card would also be a way to get Wayfarer for  cheap.  Especially if the cheap card is a cantrip, like, say, Pearl Diver

Also, Procession would have an interesting effect with Way of the Rat.  If you use Way of the Rat on the second play of your action, you get a copy of it to replace the one Procession trashes, plus a more expensive action
They/them

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 08, 2020, 12:04:44 pm »
+5

I like that Way of the Rat helps you get Actions, but needs Treasures to activate.

Additionally, great artwork on this one! Love it.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

dpm

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 08, 2020, 04:29:52 pm »

Turtle, Chameleon, and Rat are extra cool here. With all Ways; there’s an interesting balance problem to solve... the Way can be used with an action that cost $2, or with an action that cost $5. So it can’t give a $5 strength effect; otherwise it’s way too good when used with a $2 cost action. But those three (so far) give you a better effect when you use a better card with it. Whereas the other 2 revealed Ways give you the same effect no matter what; making them much better if used with a worse/cheaper action.

I kind of feel it would be even more interesting if you could only use a Way once per turn.  You couldn't Turtle your Chapel away as an effective Exile forever, unless you wanted to forgo using it on another action card.  (It would also save on some really annoying clicking, "No, I don't want to reconsider whether I want to use the Way on this card".)

MrSir712

• Pearl Diver
  • Shuffle iT Username: MrSir712
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 08, 2020, 08:12:36 pm »
+2

I'm going to use Way of the Rat on my Workshop, please and thank you.

Also, could we see a Duration or Reaction?

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 09, 2020, 12:59:52 am »
+2

Also Cities, before they have become good.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 09, 2020, 02:59:05 am »
+14

Bonus Preview 3: Village Green

The party's over! If not now, then soon, the previews will go down from dominion.games, and you will have to wait for the release to see them again - still estimated at March 18. Yet I soldier on. Today, another Reaction card.

Village Green is the Barge village, and also the Tunnel village. If you discard it when it's not your turn, take the "next" option, that's my advice; +Actions do not do much good when it's not your turn. As with Tunnel it doesn't have to be in your hand, it can be flipped over by a Fortune Teller or whatever. It even works when discarded from the Exile mat.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 09, 2020, 03:16:41 am »

The party's over! If not now, then soon, the previews will go down from dominion.games, and you will have to wait for the release to see them again - still estimated at March 18. Yet I soldier on. Today, another Reaction card.

Village Green is the Barge village, and also the Tunnel village. If you discard it when it's not your turn, take the "next" option, that's my advice; +Actions do not do much good when it's not your turn. As with Tunnel it doesn't have to be in your hand, it can be flipped over by a Fortune Teller or whatever. It even works when discarded from the Exile mat.

A village reaction!  This would be handy against discard attacks, especially attacks like Urchin that only make you discard one card - start your next turn with 5 cards and 3 Actions!  Or a Knight attack if there was another card in the 3-6 range.  But also things like Inn, you'd only end up with one card ending up in your discard pile (or maybe no cards if you happened to have two Village Greens in your hand!)

The fact that it works when discarded from the Exile mat makes me think there might be a combo there with Bounty Hunter or any other Exiling cards that haven't been revealed yet.  Exile a few Village Greens, then, once you've got a few of them on your Exile mat, buy one, discard them all, and trigger their reactions and start your next turn with a large hand and a bunch of Actions (hmm ... could also be handy if you happened to have Outpost in play too when you do that, since then you'd get the reaction effects right away)
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 09, 2020, 03:35:54 am »

It's interesting that all the Reactions revealed so far in Menagerie are played rather than revealed, discarded, or set-aside.  So, now I'm wondering if the two we haven't seen yet will also be played

So, of the reactions revealed so far, we have three different triggers: when you gain a card, when someone else gains a victory card, and now when you discard.  I wonder if all five reactions will have different triggers
They/them

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1397
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 09, 2020, 03:45:32 am »
+2

Why are my Courtiers frolicking around in the new Village Green
My opponent has more loot than me

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 09, 2020, 05:15:54 am »
+10

Why are my Courtiers frolicking around in the new Village Green
More importantly - why is the Village Green orange and blue?
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 09, 2020, 06:28:16 am »
+3

It's so strong. Imagine it with Oracle, Vault, Cartographer, storeroom, Scholar – there are lots of combos and they all sound worth doing. And that's on a card that would be worth buying without the reaction.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 09, 2020, 08:36:58 am »
+1

Hmm. Discarding multiple cards is simultaneous, yes? So if I attack you with Militia and you discard two Village Greens, you can play them both and draw back up to 5 cards?

That makes intuitive sense, but I'm not sure I've ever seen it codified anywhere in the rules.

MrSir712

• Pearl Diver
  • Shuffle iT Username: MrSir712
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 09, 2020, 08:37:30 am »
+2

It's interesting that all the Reactions revealed so far in Menagerie are played rather than revealed, discarded, or set-aside.  So, now I'm wondering if the two we haven't seen yet will also be played

So, of the reactions revealed so far, we have three different triggers: when you gain a card, when someone else gains a victory card, and now when you discard.  I wonder if all five reactions will have different triggers

I believe he said on day 5 that four out of the five Reactions play themselves.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 09, 2020, 09:48:33 am »
+4

Hmm. Discarding multiple cards is simultaneous, yes? So if I attack you with Militia and you discard two Village Greens, you can play them both and draw back up to 5 cards?

That makes intuitive sense, but I'm not sure I've ever seen it codified anywhere in the rules.

You can, thanks to the recent errata!

Cards in discard piles can be moved even if covered up by other cards

Of course, you wouldn't want to draw back up to 5 immediately, you would choose the "next turn" option generally, and draw back up to 5 at the start of your turn.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #98 on: March 09, 2020, 10:42:48 am »
+1

Now I'm trying to think of cases where you would want to draw when it's not your turn. Maybe finding a Province for Tournament, or trying to draw a different reaction.

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 09, 2020, 10:51:13 am »
+3

Now I'm trying to think of cases where you would want to draw when it's not your turn. Maybe finding a Province for Tournament, or trying to draw a different reaction.

Edge case: you have two Village Greens in your hand, you might play one now, so that only one is in play next turn (while still getting +1 Card from the 2nd one) to help activate a Magic Lamp. (which cares about unique cards in play)
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17  All

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 21 queries.