Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8  All

Author Topic: Menagerie Previews 4: Ways and Events  (Read 55061 times)

Ingix

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ingix
  • Respect: +424
    • View Profile
Re: Menagerie Previews 4: Ways and Events
« Reply #150 on: March 18, 2020, 10:38:53 am »
+1

Caravan Guard -> Way of the Mouse -> an Attack?

Right. Caravan Guard can of course be replaced by any of the new Reactions that can be played now at unusual times.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 18, 2020, 11:04:56 am »
+3

Right! Now you can actually play any card when it's not your turn. Also works with Black Cat, Sheepdog or Falconer.

Edit: Ninja'd
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 02:27:28 pm by Jeebus »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 18, 2020, 11:09:24 am »
+2

Right! Now you can actually play any card when it's not your turn. Also works with Black Cat, Sheepdog or Falconer.

Any card costing or anyway.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 18, 2020, 11:11:57 am »
+4

Sheepdog with Black Cat as the Way of the Mouse card is fun... your opponent gives you a Curse? Just respond with Sheepdog as Black Cat, give them one right back!

Even better if the Black Cat draws you a Watchtower, which you then use to trash the Curse you got!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 11:13:42 am by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Ingix

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 18, 2020, 11:36:13 am »
+9

Hint: Vassal costs $3.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 18, 2020, 11:37:14 am »
+2

Sheepdog with Black Cat as the Way of the Mouse card is fun... your opponent gives you a Curse? Just respond with Sheepdog as Black Cat, give them one right back!

Even better if the Black Cat draws you a Watchtower, which you then use to trash the Curse you got!

Sheepdog with Black Cat as the Mouse could lead to all kinds of shenanigans.  Your opponent buys Embassy, causing you to gain a Silver, then you curse them right back!

Your opponent buys a Province, letting you use Fool's Gold's reaction.  Since that gains you a Gold, you can then use Sheepdog as Black Cat, which also draws the gold you just gained!

Governor would become a lot more dangerous to play if you don't choose the draw cards option

Attacks like Swindler and Locusts can also be turned around to curse the other person (and in multiplayer really sucks for the other players who get both the original attack and your reaction!)

And basically any other junking attack
They/them

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 18, 2020, 11:40:57 am »
+1

Hint: Vassal costs $3.

Oh man. There's just insane possibilities. Can't wait to see a game where someone plays Witch to give their opponent a Curse, and in response the opponent draws and plays their entire deck and gains all 8 Provinces to end the game in a win.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 18, 2020, 12:17:29 pm »

Can't wait to see a game where [...]
This sounds like a challenge: empty the supply in response to your opponent attacking you. (My guess: possible, but trickier than it looks once you notice that you can't use +Action, can't buy and can't cost-reduce.)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 18, 2020, 12:19:06 pm »
+1

This sounds like a challenge: empty the supply in response to your opponent attacking you. (My guess: possible, but trickier than it looks once you notice that you can't use +Action, can't buy and can't cost-reduce.)

Cost reduction would work like normal right? Both Bridge and Highway style?

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 18, 2020, 12:22:35 pm »
+4

Interesting. So in reacting you could actually help your opponent.

Player A has $15 and 2 buys. Buys a Province.
Player B reacts with a Back Cat, playing it as Way of the Mouse - Vassal. Discards a Bridge, playing it.
Player A then buys a 2nd Province at $7!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 12:44:35 pm by scolapasta »
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 18, 2020, 01:01:37 pm »
+3

Player B reacts with a Back Cat, playing it as Way of the Mouse - Vassal. Discards a Bridge, playing it.

Actually, I now realize that Vassal's play is optional, so a) you'd be unlikely to do that; b) even if it you were forced to play a specific Action, you could just choose Way of the Mouse until you hit something that didn't help your opponent.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 18, 2020, 01:13:17 pm »
+2

Actually, I now realize that Vassal's play is optional, so a) you'd be unlikely to do that; b) even if it you were forced to play a specific Action, you could just choose Way of the Mouse until you hit something that didn't help your opponent.

For your point A, could have been Herald though. Not directly of course, but Vassal could find Herald, and you choose to play Herald, getting unlucky when Herald hits Bridge. But point B is a good one; you could just Vassal again. Forever until you hit a non-action or run out of deck.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 01:14:32 pm by GendoIkari »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 18, 2020, 01:15:31 pm »

For your point A, could have been Herald though. Not directly of course, but Vassal could find Herald, and you choose to play Herald, getting unlucky when Herald hits Bridge. But point B is a good one; you could just Vassal again. Forever until you hit a non-action or run out of deck.

This makes me realize that Vassal on Way of the Mouse could be quite powerful actually... clear your deck of non-actions; and playing any single action gives you + per card in your deck!

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 18, 2020, 01:22:36 pm »

Gosh. It would, wouldn't it. This is getting silly!

Wizard_Amul

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 18, 2020, 01:31:36 pm »
+1

This makes me realize that Vassal on Way of the Mouse could be quite powerful actually... clear your deck of non-actions; and playing any single action gives you + per card in your deck!

When you say clear you deck of non-actions, you just mean the top card, right? If the top card is a non-action, it stays in the discard pile and your Vassal play is done. You're right that if you have multiple actions in a row on top of your deck, you could keep using Way of the Mouse to play them all as Vassal, getting 2 coins for each one you play.

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 18, 2020, 01:40:48 pm »
+1

+ per card in your deck!

Philosopher's Stone, eat your heart out.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 18, 2020, 01:50:36 pm »

When you say clear you deck of non-actions, you just mean the top card, right? If the top card is a non-action, it stays in the discard pile and your Vassal play is done. You're right that if you have multiple actions in a row on top of your deck, you could keep using Way of the Mouse to play them all as Vassal, getting 2 coins for each one you play.

No, I meant clearing your whole deck... if you have even 1 non-action in your deck, you have the risk of it being your top card. Or even if it's in your top 2-3 cards the combo isn't great. You need to basically have 3 action cards in a row on top of your deck for this to generate ; the easiest way to ensure that is to have only actions in your deck.

Wizard_Amul

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 18, 2020, 01:58:28 pm »
+1

No, I meant clearing your whole deck... if you have even 1 non-action in your deck, you have the risk of it being your top card. Or even if it's in your top 2-3 cards the combo isn't great. You need to basically have 3 action cards in a row on top of your deck for this to generate ; the easiest way to ensure that is to have only actions in your deck.

Oh, nevermind, I just misunderstood what you meant. I thought you were saying that Way of the Mouse as Vassal could somehow clear your deck for you. You meant "first, you clear of deck of non-actions, and then you have this effect of +2 coins per card in your deck."

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 18, 2020, 03:30:44 pm »
+1

I've just noticed that Way of the Mouse buffs Conspirator nicely.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 18, 2020, 03:31:38 pm »

Oh, nevermind, I just misunderstood what you meant. I thought you were saying that Way of the Mouse as Vassal could somehow clear your deck for you. You meant "first, you clear of deck of non-actions, and then you have this effect of +2 coins per card in your deck."

Ah yeah, I see how that sentence was ambiguous!

Erick648

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +628
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 19, 2020, 02:39:57 pm »

Vassal Mouse with "play this now" Reactions can get really weird in the right (=constructed) Kingdom.  With a Throne-chain type deck that relies on gainers rather than buying, you can basically take a turn in the middle of your opponent's turn.  Add in Mandarin, along with Crown as your Throne variant and possibly Capitalism (which needs to have been bought by your opponent), and you can get your cards back out of play to be ready to do it again (and even stack your deck for your next Mouse Vassal "turn").  And if you happen to have a card that triggers your opponents' "play this now" Reactions, and they have similar decks...

Let's see: Caravan Guard, Rogue, Watchtower (Rogue+Watchtower=Mandarin gains not limited by the Supply), Crown, Mandarin, Storyteller, four other good Kingdom cards for this deck (preferably facilitating goals other than gaining cards, such as VP tokens, to keep the game from ending too quickly), Capitalism, and Way of the Mouse(=Vassal).  And, of course, six players...

Note that while this could be an infinite loop, playing Rogue to gain Mandarin lets your opponents interrupt you with their own Caravan Guard Mouse Vassals, making it actually several infinite loops taking turns interrupting each other (assuming more than one player is set up correctly).
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 02:45:06 pm by Erick648 »
Duplicate duplicates Duplicates duplicate Duplicates duplicate.

Rene Descartes taught me to believe in myself.

How much Loot could a Looter loot if a Looter could loot Loot?

Ingix

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 19, 2020, 06:45:03 pm »
+2

Way of the Mouse with Vassal set aside can indeed cause many new things.  Note that Crown doesn't work in that deck you created, it doesn't do anything when you play it and it's not your turn.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 19, 2020, 06:56:00 pm »
+1

Way of the Mouse with Vassal set aside can indeed cause many new things.  Note that Crown doesn't work in that deck you created, it doesn't do anything when you play it and it's not your turn.

Ha, playing Crown on an opponent’s turn would be hilarious. You could also now play Crown during your Cleanup or Night phase. Or in between turns; during Donate resolving.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 07:05:25 pm by GendoIkari »

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 19, 2020, 07:20:29 pm »
+2

Ha, playing Crown on an opponent’s turn would be hilarious. You could also now play Crown during your Cleanup or Night phase. Or in between turns; during Donate resolving.

I just realized Werewolf allows you do do any of the ways during Night.
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 19, 2020, 07:24:52 pm »

How can you play it during Cleanup?

You can do it during your own Donate via Market Square and Sheepdog right? I haven't spotted a way to do it during another player's Donate.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8  All

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 21 queries.