Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8  All

Author Topic: Menagerie Previews 4: Ways and Events  (Read 55076 times)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
Re: Menagerie Previews 4: Ways and Events
« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2020, 02:52:31 pm »
+3

So this means that it has the same timing as Enchantress? You can choose to resolve Enchantress first and then the Way, meaning that the Way "wins". Or you can choose to do it the other way around, but the result would be the same as not choosing the Way at all.
It's the same timing as Enchantress; obv. you will choose to have the Way "win."

SuperHans

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: SuperHans
  • Respect: +233
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2020, 03:15:33 pm »

This has probably been answered elsewhere, but will the previewed cards remain playable online up until the expansion is released or will they get removed for a brief period of time in the interim, such as next week?

kieranmillar

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: kieranmillar
  • Respect: +352
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2020, 03:38:50 pm »
+3

This has probably been answered elsewhere, but will the previewed cards remain playable online up until the expansion is released or will they get removed for a brief period of time in the interim, such as next week?
ShuffleIt forums say previews are available to play Monday 2nd March to Sunday 8th.

http://forum.shuffleit.nl/index.php?topic=4029.msg17264#msg17264

LostPhoenix

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lost Phoenix
  • Your resident lurker
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2020, 04:27:30 pm »
+2

As a timmy player fan of Cornucopia, Populate may be my new favourite card-shaped thing in all Dominion.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 05, 2020, 04:52:02 pm »
+14

I've been neglecting the forums lately and didn't realize a new set had been announced, let alone that there were preview cards available. So apologies for my lateness, it's time for... Combos With Scout! (RIP) Let's look at how amazingly these cards would have combo'd with everybody's favorite Dominion: Intrigue powerhouse, which was removed from the game for being too OP.

Way of the Ox, Mole, Turtle: Yikes, this is WEAK. Why would you play Scout as something other than Scout? Scout-as-village is only good if you have terminals. But in Scout games, you'll be racing Scouts, so most of your other cards will be Scouts. And Scout is NON-terminal, which is one reason it's so strong. Not seeing it. Too bad.

Toil: Pretty strong. Step 1) Buy Green cards. Step 2) Buy Toil. Step 3) Use Toil to play an extra Scout. Step 4) Scoop up the Green cards you just bought. You can have them in your hand same turn, actually. This is probably going to impact those "Buy all the Provinces on Turn 1" strats.

Commerce: You're always going to be gaining at least one Scout, so if you can spare an additional $5 you can use this to gain a Gold. I guess that saves you $1, since Gold costs $6? Probably a narrow play. Competes at the same price point as Duchy, which is always available and combo-able with Scout.

Populate: Dream on. By the time you realistically have $10, the Scout pile will probably be empty. You'll wonder why you bothered to build up your economy so much, while your opponent is profitably manipulating the next few cards in his or her deck over and over again.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Wolphmaniac

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: DividedSpy
  • Respect: +279
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 05, 2020, 05:28:55 pm »
+2

Even if you don't want all cards from Populate, it has some extreme potential synergies (don't know how many of these will actually be good in a given game, though): gardens, vineyards, and philosopher's stone come to mind. Like mxdata said, watchtower in hand is actually really good, too.

Buy Populate, then buy Commerce. Enjoy your 10 Golds (that you probably don't want in a deck that can make and just got 10 new action cards).

Twist: The game also has Tomb, and you have a Watchtower in hand. Good-bye 10 Gold! Hello 10 VP!

When you trash something with Watchtower, you still gained it first.  So you could Populate, trash all 10 actions, then Commerce and trash all 10 golds.  Goodbye 10 actions AND 10 Gold!  Hello 20 VP!

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 05, 2020, 05:40:07 pm »
+14

Crazy that there are actually 20 different ways. That's so many.
And yet there are fifty ways to leave your lover.

There's a few more I need to get out of my system, so let's go.

"How do I love Dominion? Let me count the Ways ... ok, there's twenty."

"Why do you keep Turtling that card every turn?" "Because it's the only Way!"

"Hey Wayne, Garth, Bill and Ted. What setup do we want?" "Way!" "No way, man!"

"I can't actually see all the card-shaped things at the other end of the table, but it's all right - I know the Way."

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 05, 2020, 05:55:22 pm »
+6

Crazy that there are actually 20 different ways. That's so many.
And yet there are fifty ways to leave your lover.

There's a few more I need to get out of my system, so let's go.

"How do I love Dominion? Let me count the Ways ... ok, there's twenty."

"Why do you keep Turtling that card every turn?" "Because it's the only Way!"

"Hey Wayne, Garth, Bill and Ted. What setup do we want?" "Way!" "No way, man!"

"I can't actually see all the card-shaped things at the other end of the table, but it's all right - I know the Way."
You went Way overboard with these.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 05, 2020, 06:01:37 pm »

Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 05, 2020, 06:21:24 pm »

Even if you don't want all cards from Populate, it has some extreme potential synergies (don't know how many of these will actually be good in a given game, though): gardens, vineyards, and philosopher's stone come to mind. Like mxdata said, watchtower in hand is actually really good, too.

Buy Populate, then buy Commerce. Enjoy your 10 Golds (that you probably don't want in a deck that can make and just got 10 new action cards).

Twist: The game also has Tomb, and you have a Watchtower in hand. Good-bye 10 Gold! Hello 10 VP!

When you trash something with Watchtower, you still gained it first.  So you could Populate, trash all 10 actions, then Commerce and trash all 10 golds.  Goodbye 10 actions AND 10 Gold!  Hello 20 VP!

Except that that would require Tomb + Commerce + Populate, three different landscape cards

But Watchtower + Treasure cards adding up to $10 with Tomb + Populate could work as a weird kind of Golden Deck.  Each turn buy Populate and trash them all for 10 VP/turn!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 06:23:19 pm by mxdata »
They/them

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 05, 2020, 06:58:00 pm »
+1

Except that that would require Tomb + Commerce + Populate, three different landscape cards

That's technically not a rule, just a recommendation by Donald.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 05, 2020, 07:21:40 pm »

I think I have this right?

Example: +Card token on Moat pile, Way of the Ox on board.

I play a Moat as my last action for some reason.
    Token first gives me +1 Card, before I do anything. I draw a Smithy.
Now I choose whether to use Moat's effect or Way of the Ox's effect. I want to play the Smithy more than the Moat, and I'd like to not draw anything dead, so I can choose Way of the Ox, even though I already drew a card from the token.

So in this case, Moat can either be a vanilla Village (+1 Card, +2 Actions) or a Smithy (+1 Card, +2 Cards), but I get to choose which one I like best after I draw one card from the token. It seems like Pathfinding, while already very powerful, is even more powerful when combined with Ways.

All correct. With Pathfinding you get even more info about your hand before you make the decision for a Way or not.

Note that opponnts reacting to your attacks with Moats or similar effects also happens before the Way decision. So if your Coven is Moated, Turtle it aways for next turn if you don't need the +1 Action and +$2 right now.

Sure, but then your opponent could just Turtle their Moat away too. Moat effectively becomes a Champion (well, the "when another player plays an Attack card, it doesn't affect you" part) if you just Turtle it every turn.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

Hks

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: HyenHks
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 05, 2020, 07:28:04 pm »
+2

I've had 3 games with Populate, two of them had Fairgrounds, the other gardens. I thought for a sec the system was set up for them to appear together more often! Love this game, love the cards. Lotsa fun. Either it's the removed pressure of not playing rated, or it's that Populate is the most fun card in all of Dominion.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 05, 2020, 07:43:09 pm »
+3

Now I choose whether to use Moat's effect or Way of the Ox's effect. I want to play the Smithy more than the Moat, and I'd like to not draw anything dead, so I can choose Way of the Ox, even though I already drew a card from the token.

So in this case, Moat can either be a vanilla Village (+1 Card, +2 Actions) or a Smithy (+1 Card, +2 Cards), but I get to choose which one I like best after I draw one card from the token. It seems like Pathfinding, while already very powerful, is even more powerful when combined with Ways.

All correct. With Pathfinding you get even more info about your hand before you make the decision for a Way or not.

Note that opponnts reacting to your attacks with Moats or similar effects also happens before the Way decision. So if your Coven is Moated, Turtle it aways for next turn if you don't need the +1 Action and +$2 right now.

Sure, but then your opponent could just Turtle their Moat away too. Moat effectively becomes a Champion (well, the "when another player plays an Attack card, it doesn't affect you" part) if you just Turtle it every turn.

That wouldn't work, though.  You have to reveal moat from your hand to block an attack.  If you've set it aside with Turtle, it can't block attacks
They/them

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 05, 2020, 07:50:45 pm »
+1

That wouldn't work, though.  You have to reveal moat from your hand to block an attack.  If you've set it aside with Turtle, it can't block attacks

You're absolutely right, of course. I didn't realize it doesn't come back into your hand until next turn.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 05, 2020, 07:54:32 pm »
+4

Technically, it doesn't go back to your hand at all. You just play it from set-aside.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 05, 2020, 09:01:24 pm »
+3

I want to play a game with every Way, every Project, every Event, and every Landmark.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 05, 2020, 10:55:13 pm »
+6

I want to play a game with every Way, every Project, every Event, and every Landmark.

I suspect Wall would ruin that experience for a lot of people.

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
  • I have no +Buys :(
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 06, 2020, 01:07:36 am »
+1

I suspect Wall would ruin that experience for a lot of people.
Yeah. No one likes Wall.
Counting House is the best card in the game. Change my mind.

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
  • I have no +Buys :(
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 06, 2020, 01:11:51 am »

Use them instead of Kingdom cards. That would get interesting.
Counting House is the best card in the game. Change my mind.

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 06, 2020, 02:25:42 am »
+1

This is what I thought of immediately.  Glad there's another Phineas and Ferb fan out there

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 06, 2020, 04:27:04 am »
+7

Nobles = Smithy + Way of the Ox + Obelisk
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 06, 2020, 08:42:37 am »
+5

Nobles + Ferry = Smithy + Way of the Ox + Obelisk

Fixed.

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 06, 2020, 10:15:44 am »

That game would be chaos coming from every which Way.

The time when Way puns stop being funny is very far a-Way.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 10:17:01 am by hhelibebcnofnena »
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3189
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 06, 2020, 10:20:02 am »

Obelisk = Nobles + Ferry - Smithy - Way of the Ox

Interesting.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 21 queries.