Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8  All

Author Topic: Menagerie Previews 4: Ways and Events  (Read 55068 times)

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
Re: Menagerie Previews 4: Ways and Events
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2020, 11:11:27 am »
+1

Way of the Turtle would be quite convenient for cards whose usefulness depends on what's in your hand.  E.g., you could keep setting aside a chapel until you get something you want to trash, or you could just keep your Tournament set aside until you draw a Province

Worth noting that a Turtle'd Tournament is a terminal action, though.

Only when you first Turtle it, but that applies to all Actions
They/them

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2020, 11:12:45 am »
+3

I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2020, 11:17:48 am »

I was also wondering about timing and shape-shifting. So Ingix confirmed that the timing is after before-play abilities (Adventures tokens, Reactions, Urchin, Kiln). This makes it sound a lot like Enchantress, that you resolve the Way instead of the play ability, and it's not shape-shifting. This means:

* I play a card with a Way, then I play Scepter and choose to replay the card. I can now choose to resolve it normally or with a Way.

* With Capitalism, an Action card with +$ is still a Treasure even if played with a Way. And an Action card without +$ is not a Treasure even if played with a Way that has +$.

Is this correct?

I think so.  Capitalism references the text, not the effect, and the text on the card isn't changed.  So, if you have Capitalism and a Way, you should be able to play a card that has +coin in the text during your buy phase, but then play it as the Way, even a Way that doesn't have any +coins
They/them

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1397
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2020, 11:21:49 am »
+6

Way of the Raven: http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Scout
Such a shame that Scout got lost, because I predict all 20 Ways will have excellent combos with that versatile guy. Just look at the obvious benefits so far:

Way of the Ox: Your Scout is now a Village.

Way of the Mole: You can now discard all the Victory cards Scout drew for you, and draw 3 new things.

Way of the Turtle: Allows you to set your Scouts aside for the rest of the game. A Scout is always ready.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 12:03:14 pm by Gherald »
My opponent has more loot than me

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2020, 11:30:51 am »

Livery + Commerce is a neat interaction.  Buy anything with Livery in play $4 or more, you automatically gain two differently named cards (the card you bought + Horse).  Then buy Commerce, get two golds + two Horses!

It would get even more insane with Haggler and Border Village.  Buy a Border Village with Haggler and Livery in play.  Border Village gives you another card <$6 and Haggler also gives you another card less than $6, if those were both different cards, that's four differently-named cards including the Horses themselves (potentially up to 4!).  Then Commerce gives you 4 Golds + 4 Horses.  You could potentially get 8 Horses that way!
They/them

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2020, 11:36:37 am »
+2

Way of the Raven: http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Scout
Such a shame that Scout got lost, because it I predict all 20 Ways will have excellent combos with that versatile guy. Just look at the obvious benefits so far:

Way of the Ox: Your Scout is now a Village.

Way of the Mole: You can now discard all the Victory cards Scout drew for you, and draw 3 new things.

Way of the Turtle: Allows you to set a Scout aside for the rest of the game. A Scout is always ready.
Only do this if you've won the scout split, for otherwise you're wasting perfectly good scouts. IMHO one should only use "way" on weak cards, like outpost.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2020, 11:47:04 am »
+2

More seriously, the fact that "way" cards still give you "in play" effects seem like a huge boost to certain cards. For example, mole + highway, merchant guild, or bridge troll is an easy 2-card combo. Herbalist is looking a lot better. Treasure hunter's silver gain is now optional. Goons has more options when stacked.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2020, 11:53:42 am »

I was also wondering about timing and shape-shifting. So Ingix confirmed that the timing is after before-play abilities (Adventures tokens, Reactions, Urchin, Kiln). This makes it sound a lot like Enchantress, that you resolve the Way instead of the play ability, and it's not shape-shifting. This means:

* I play a card with a Way, then I play Scepter and choose to replay the card. I can now choose to resolve it normally or with a Way.

* With Capitalism, an Action card with +$ is still a Treasure even if played with a Way. And an Action card without +$ is not a Treasure even if played with a Way that has +$.

Is this correct?

Donald specifically said that below-the-line stuff still works normally, which confirms that there's no shape-shifting going on. Considering that he just went out of his way to Errata-away existing shapeshifting stuff, I doubt he'd suddenly re-introduce that in a new set!
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2020, 11:55:52 am »

So I'm wondering if there will be a Way that's simply +1 card, +1 action. On one hand, it's almost obvious. On he other hand, it's boring.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2020, 12:02:06 pm »

Donald specifically said that below-the-line stuff still works normally, which confirms that there's no shape-shifting going on. Considering that he just went out of his way to Errata-away existing shapeshifting stuff, I doubt he'd suddenly re-introduce that in a new set!

No, the on-play ability could be replaced on the card even though the below-line ability isn't. This came up for Enchantress too. But of course your second point is excellent, and based on Ingix' posts here I'm 95% sure of this anyway. It's just that I can't state it as fact in my document without confirmation from Donald. Some times my assumptions have turned out wrong.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2020, 12:25:00 pm »

So I'm wondering if there will be a Way that's simply +1 card, +1 action. On one hand, it's almost obvious. On he other hand, it's boring.

I don't know if we're talking about the leaked way names? There's one that I would think would be that.

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2020, 12:30:35 pm »
+2

Capitalism plus Way of the Turtle seems a fun combo. Some Capitalism Treasures would still rather be played in your Action phase - now you can save them for next turn.

Also, Toil and Way of the Turtle. Basically, Way of the Turtle with cards that let you play Actions during your Buy phase.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 12:51:25 pm by scolapasta »
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2020, 12:52:03 pm »

Play 3 Liveries.  Buy Populate in a game where all the Kingdom cards are actions >$3.  Empty out the Horse pile!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 12:56:56 pm by mxdata »
They/them

Willvon

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +168
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2020, 12:53:04 pm »
+2

Even if you don't want all cards from Populate, it has some extreme potential synergies (don't know how many of these will actually be good in a given game, though): gardens, vineyards, and philosopher's stone come to mind. Like mxdata said, watchtower in hand is actually really good, too.

It also makes it much easier to grab cards you need to increase the value of your Fairgrounds late in the game.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +863
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2020, 01:00:20 pm »
+5

I don't know if we're talking about the leaked way names? There's one that I would think would be that.

You mean Way of the Pig?
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2020, 01:05:07 pm »

I didn't know there were leaked names. Now I'm just trying to think of what sort of animal name would lead one to think of that particular effect.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2020, 01:05:34 pm »
+2

You mean Way of the Pig?

Ah, yeah, that would make sense.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2020, 01:08:41 pm »

In a Shelters game, Way of the Mole could potentially allow you to play a card on turn 2 that you gained on turn 1, if your Necropolis is drawn on turn 2.  Buy a card on turn 1.  Turn 2, play Necropolis with Way of the Mole.  Discard your hand and draw 3 cards.  Since this triggers a reshuffle, you have a 30% chance of drawing the card you bought on turn 1.  Especially useful in 5/2 openings, where you'd probably want to use Way of the Mole anyways, unless there's a good $2 card.  Even if you don't draw what you'd bought, you still have a good chance of getting 3 coppers with your draw
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2020, 01:15:58 pm »

I'd been wondering about that.  Someone had posted the names on the Dominion wiki (and they're actually still there, just commented out, in the Menagerie navbox template) and I wondered where those names were coming from
They/them

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2020, 01:59:54 pm »
+7

Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2020, 02:20:15 pm »
+1

Way of the Ox + Royal Carriage is pretty good.  Play something that draws with no remaining actions and you ended up drawing some action cards dead?  Just use Royal Carriage to replay it, but this time choose Way of the Ox and now you've got two actions!
They/them

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2020, 02:43:22 pm »

What about Tokens from Adventures interacting with Ways? Do I get e.g. Lost Arts benefit for choosing Way at certain Action?
Yes. So for example with Turtle, you could Turtle the same card every turn, just to get the +1 Action from the token.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2020, 02:44:35 pm »
+2

Is the expansion symbol in a different place for these landscapes? Is that so more of them can fit on two lines?

Also is the ironic toiling a reference to ironic tilling from Guilds? Yay for self-referential jokes!
The expansion symbol was moved to fit text better, yes.

That was a reference to the Guilds paragraph, yes.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2020, 02:46:50 pm »

If you Turtle a Crown it will be played at the start of your next turn. Then you don't have a chance to declare that you want your Action phase to end before you play it (which you might want). I don't know if there is an official ruling, but a rule clarification in the entry for Prince in the Wiki says that the "start of your turn is considered part of your Action phase".
It's your Action phase then, yes, so Crown is stuck playing an Action.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2020, 02:50:31 pm »
+1

Yes.

Yes, Capitalism doesn't care that you didn't follow the instructions, it just looks at the text box.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 21 queries.