Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Author Topic: Menagerie Previews 4: Ways and Events  (Read 54927 times)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25649
    • View Profile
Menagerie Previews 4: Ways and Events
« on: March 05, 2020, 03:00:32 am »
+22

First we have Ways. There are 20 of these. Okay so. They're landscape cards like Events and Landmarks and Projects. You deal them out the same way, except, don't use more than one Way per game (that's my advice anyway). A Way gives an alternate use to all Action cards that game. When you play an Action card, pick, do you want its normal function, or do you want the Way. If you want the Way, you just do what the Way says, that's that. It's like Action cards all say, "Choose one: that Way thing, or what this normally does." We turn the Action card sideways to remember which ones did the Way. Stuff below a dividing line is unaffected; if it's like, "While this is in play, something something," that will still happen.

Ways work any time you play an Action card. This means for example that if you play Sheepdog via its reaction, that can still use a Way if you want. If you Throne Room a card, it could be the Way the first time, not-the-Way the second time, or any combination. As always there's a rulebook, you'll get to see it eventually.

Way of the Ox is a simple one: +2 Actions. In games with this, every Action card can instead be used for +2 Actions. Your hand is nothing but Smithies? Play one for +2 Actions and away you go. Or, what was that thing from two days ago? Horses, that's right. Way of the Ox lets you play a Horse for +2 Actions, and still have it for later. And a Necropolis, well, uh, maybe the next one will be better for Necropolis.

Way of the Mole is also simple, there are a bunch of simple ones.

Way of the Turtle is a trickier one. It lets you play any card to set itself aside and replay it next turn. Way of the Turtle says "this" on it, but that's the card you played, it's not Way of the Turtle itself. You don't want your Moneylender this turn, so you Turtle it, and play it at the start of your next turn. I hear you asking, but wait, when you play it next turn, can't you just use Way of the Turtle again to save it for the turn after that? Yes, of course you can. If you want, it can be Turtles all the way down.

Online, you can click on a button on an Action card to instead do the Way with one click. You can also click on the Way itself, highlighting it, then click on an Action in hand. Cards like Throne Room and Vassal pause to give you a chance to use the Way on the extra play.

Menagerie also has 20 Events. They're just like the ones in Adventures and Empires, only new. In your Buy phase, you can use a Buy and pay the cost to generate the effect. Some of the Events involve Horses or Exile, but many don't, including these three.

Toil gives you a way to turn cash into playing Action cards from your hand. It's a secret village, for certain kinds of things. And if you just have $2 left you can't do anything useful with, you can Toil ironically.

Commerce makes some amount of Gold, depending on the variety of cards you've gained this turn. Scrap an Estate for a Silver and a Horse and you're well on your way.

Populate is a big one. You gain one card from each Action supply pile. Foosh! That's potentially 10 cards in a game without Ruins or Young Witch, though some piles may not be Actions, and if a good pile ran out, tough luck. And you can't say, "no I don't want that Beggar and that Ruined Library." You get to pick the order they show up, or online can click on a "random order" button when you don't care.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1329
    • View Profile
Re: Menagerie Previews 4: Ways and Events
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2020, 03:08:28 am »
+1

So, there's no limit to how many times you can use the Ways?  E.g., if you have four Action cards in your hand, you can do them all as a Way?  I can see why you'd recommend only one Way in a game.  Are all the Ways named after animals?
They/them

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25649
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2020, 03:10:40 am »
+2

So, there's no limit to how many times you can use the Ways?  E.g., if you have four Action cards in your hand, you can do them all as a Way?  I can see why you'd recommend only one Way in a game.  Are all the Ways named after animals?
Yes, you can use the Way over and over. They are all animals.

TheAgileBeast

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2020, 03:16:30 am »

I'm so excited for Ways. This looks like a ton of fun. Whenever I'm sitting there like "man, I wish I had drawn a village instead" or "I wish I had drawn this next turn," I can just do that now.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2020, 03:25:30 am »
+1

Way of the Turtle would be quite convenient for cards whose usefulness depends on what's in your hand.  E.g., you could keep setting aside a chapel until you get something you want to trash, or you could just keep your Tournament set aside until you draw a Province
They/them

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5138
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2020, 03:33:29 am »
+1

I think Ways are a smart way (ha!) of addressing the problem that the more cards there are, the number of boring kingdoms you get necessarily goes up. By introducing another play effect, you can make some of these kingdoms interesting again.

I like that the Events shown here can all make a pretty big impact. I'm sure Toil can be used in some kind of pseudo-infinite loop. Commerce seems a bit strong in comparison to Windfall? But maybe those 2 fill different niches. And Populate is of course bonkers. Maybe no quite as out there as it feels though, to some extent it's like an immediately activated Pilgrimage.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2020, 03:39:16 am »
+4

Way of the Turtle would be quite convenient for cards whose usefulness depends on what's in your hand.  E.g., you could keep setting aside a chapel until you get something you want to trash, or you could just keep your Tournament set aside until you draw a Province

Smuggler + Way of the Turtle would be particularly interesting, for example.  Just keep setting your Smuggler aside until your opponent gains something you want!  That would make for a particularly interesting strategy, because if your opponent's doing that, then you know that as soon as you buy something they want, they're gonna use their Smuggler to get it
They/them

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12839
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2020, 03:51:45 am »

They are all animals.

Disappointed that there won't be a Way of the Tank.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Wizard_Amul

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +214
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2020, 03:53:01 am »
+2

Smuggler + Way of the Turtle would be particularly interesting, for example.  Just keep setting your Smuggler aside until your opponent gains something you want!  That would make for a particularly interesting strategy, because if your opponent's doing that, then you know that as soon as you buy something they want, they're gonna use their Smuggler to get it

Right, this almost makes Smuggler kind of silly in that sense, actually...your opponent will have to get something you want at some point even though they know you have that Smuggler set aside every turn. Each turn, your opponent has to decide is the card worth more for them or for you. Alternatively, your opponent could do a different strategy than you (if there is a good alternative) and try to never give your Smuggler value.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2020, 03:53:41 am »
+16

I think Ways are a smart way (ha!) of addressing the problem that the more cards there are, the number of boring kingdoms you get necessarily goes up. By introducing another play effect, you can make some of these kingdoms interesting again.

I like that the Events shown here can all make a pretty big impact. I'm sure Toil can be used in some kind of pseudo-infinite loop. Commerce seems a bit strong in comparison to Windfall? But maybe those 2 fill different niches. And Populate is of course bonkers. Maybe no quite as out there as it feels though, to some extent it's like an immediately activated Pilgrimage.

It seems to me that Populate would be especially powerful if you have a Watchtower in your hand.  Watchtower's reaction would A) allow you to immediately trash any Action cards you don't actually want, and the ones you do want, you could immediately topdeck - and since you get to choose what order you gain them, you can control what order they go onto your deck!
They/them

Wizard_Amul

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +214
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2020, 04:00:43 am »
+3

Even if you don't want all cards from Populate, it has some extreme potential synergies (don't know how many of these will actually be good in a given game, though): gardens, vineyards, and philosopher's stone come to mind. Like mxdata said, watchtower in hand is actually really good, too.

ghostofmars

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +71
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2020, 04:13:38 am »
+2

I like that the Events shown here can all make a pretty big impact. I'm sure Toil can be used in some kind of pseudo-infinite loop.
Setup: enough bridges to reduce cost by 5, have $2, Throne Room, Market in hand, Throne Room, Market in discard (no card in draw pile)
1) Buy Toil, play TR, play Market twice (draw TR, Market, get $2)
2) Buy TR, Market
Back to 1)

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2020, 04:14:38 am »

I just played a game that included Populate, Way of the Ox, and Prince.  I bought Populate, and so Prince was one of the cards I got.  I chose to set aside Catapult with the Prince (that was pretty much the only decent cheap Action in that kingdom).  Way of the Ox was very useful, because in turns where I wouldn't want to trash any of the cards in my starting hand, I could simply use Way of the Ox on the Catapult.  There's a lot of other combinations with Prince that would also benefit from Way of the Ox
They/them

dirkdebeule

• Spy
  • Why Not?
  • Respect: +50
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2020, 04:19:04 am »

Would Orchad be worth to invest in Populate ???
The Witch likes walking from her Throne Room to her Workshop in the Garden 😁

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2020, 04:21:02 am »
+2

Would Orchad be worth to invest in Populate ???
Even more so, Museum
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2020, 04:22:06 am »
+1

Prediction: One of the landscape cards that use the Exile mat will be a Way that simply says "Exile this", so you could use that Way to Exile Action cards you no longer need
They/them

Ingix

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ingix
  • Respect: +424
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2020, 04:40:04 am »
+3

No built in limit. But note that playing an Action card costs an Action (Way or no Way), so if you want to Turtle 4 Actions cards, you need to get 4 Actions somehow.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +971
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2020, 04:41:45 am »
+2

No built in limit. But note that playing an Action card costs an Action (Way or no Way), so if you want to Turtle 4 Actions cards, you need to get 4 Actions somehow.

and that's why we have Snowy Village
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2020, 04:44:19 am »

True, for Turtle.  Way of the Ox and Way of the Mole both come with +Actions though, and I don't doubt there'll be other Ways that include +Actions.  Of course, not all of them would be very useful to use multiple times in a turn
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2020, 04:45:16 am »
+5

I thought it was kind of funny that in a Shelters game with Way of the Ox, the server gave me the option of playing Necropolis normally or as the Way of the Ox ... do I want +2 Actions or +2 Actions?
They/them

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2020, 05:11:04 am »
+3

Can you use a Way when playing a card affected by Enchantress?

crlundy

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: crlundy
  • Respect: +323
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2020, 05:16:56 am »
+9

Can you use a Way when playing a card affected by Enchantress?

Yes, Donald X. answered on Discord: "Enchantress is a lot like a Way. The main thing is that you can beat Enchantress by doing the Way instead."

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2020, 06:09:01 am »
+5

Prediction: One of the landscape cards that use the Exile mat will be a Way that simply says "Exile this", so you could use that Way to Exile Action cards you no longer need

You can already do this with Turtle (minus the Exile interaction).

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3182
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2020, 06:23:18 am »
+3

Crazy that there are actually 20 different ways. That's so many.

Winston

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2020, 06:27:28 am »
+2

You can already do this with Turtle (minus the Exile interaction).

But the whole point of the previous post was to get those cards out of your deck ... so ... the Exile Interaction is kinda necessary :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 20 queries.