Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Meta: Your Elite Forums Mafia Academy application is due soon!  (Read 1537 times)

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
Meta: Your Elite Forums Mafia Academy application is due soon!
« on: February 20, 2020, 08:25:46 pm »

Thank you for your interest in attending Elite Forums Mafia Academy.

There are two tracks, one for mafia players, and one for designers and moderators. You may apply for both, but you may only attend one. If you decide to apply to both tracks, please submit separate applications. Please only refer to completed mafia games run on the f.ds forums in your applications. Best of luck!

If you're applying to the Players track: Please submit a link to one game where you played town well, and a link to one game where you played a non-town role well. Tell us what makes your play particularly scintillating in these games. Maximum one paragraph description per game.

What aspect of your game are you most hoping to improve by attending the prestigious EFMA? Respond in two sentences maximum.

If you're applying to the Moderators track: Please submit a link to one game you designed/ran particularly well, and tell us, in one paragraph, what made your design/moderation particularly pristine. In addition, please submit a link to one game you designed/ran, and point out a crucial misjudgment you made. If you were to run that game again, what would you do differently? One paragraph here, too.
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
Re: Meta: Your Elite Forums Mafia Academy application is due soon!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 08:40:04 pm »

Application: Players Track

One game where I played town well: I'd have to say BMV (http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=3949.0). I took a Neighborizer/Oracle hybrid and was able to use the role in order to nearly single-handedly rescue a town that was on the brink of death. At one point, there were 2 town players left alive and 5 scum. I had really well-placed night actions and near-psychic reads (the Cure for Insanity on Dsell, for example). I think it really shows off my two biggest strengths: strong reads, and an engaging and funny playstyle that gets people talking.

One game where I played scum well: Oh, no question, RMM3 (http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=4679.0). I had a really weak role: a delayed serial killer who couldn't choose my own targets. I claimed Serial Killer on day 4 and survived to day 6; I came this close to winning as claimed scum.

What am I most hoping to improve about my game? The biggest weakness for me is Mafia play, I'm afraid. Being Mafia sets off my anxiety, and I have a tendency to bus my teammates much more aggressively than would be strategically appropriate.
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 08:49:39 pm »

(feel free not to follow the application exactly; i mostly was curious to read games where people thought they did particularly well, and then i got carried away with RP ideas)

(but also, feel free to follow the application and pretend you're applying to a fake school if that sounds like fun to you!)

she/her

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 01:38:10 am »

Hey!

My best town game gotta be RMM39. I didn't do anything I susally do in this game: I haven't doubted my reads, I didn't think I am not experienced enough to convince people of my reads, I was active and i probably led town to victory. I often think about this game and try to do the same thing, but I don't think so far it worked nearly as well.

My best scum game is NM13. Again, for some reason I played so differently from my usual scum!self, I was active, I was sure of myself, I didn't struggle what to write and all in all I deceived town very well. Again, I tried to duplicate this success, but so far I didn't really come close.

Mu usual problem is my insecurity, both town and scum. I always think that I say stupid things, that seasoned players know better, that my reads are awful, and I usually have a lot of trouble of convincing people, even though I really think I am good at reading almost everyone. Making cases is hard for me. Usually when I have the pr and I can prove I have it, those are the times I shine. Also when there was my most active period (and it's not now unfortunately) I could easily prove that I am town, I had never been mislynched until I got depressed and less active and it started. So, here goes
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 03:24:33 am »

My best scum game is NM13. Again, for some reason I played so differently from my usual scum!self, I was active, I was sure of myself, I didn't struggle what to write and all in all I deceived town very well. Again, I tried to duplicate this success, but so far I didn't really come close.

Wow, I just read that game trying to focus on your play, and it was awesome. Nothing stuck to you, and that completely unprovoked bus of your partner was just perfectly timed. I mean also those N1 actions were as perfect as possible for you.

she/her

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 06:27:42 am »

Wow, I just read that game trying to focus on your play, and it was awesome. Nothing stuck to you, and that completely unprovoked bus of your partner was just perfectly timed. I mean also those N1 actions were as perfect as possible for you.

thank you! i just reread it myself and yeah, i still remember brightly the moment i cast a vote on WCD that ended the game, I was SO HYPED

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 08:47:06 am »

I'll try to do this, but I've just played so many games that they all blur into each other a bit...

Player track application:

Well, picking out a good town game is difficult because in your best town games you die early and then you don't tend to remember them as well. I think I'll put forward xkcd Mafia, where I lived through to the end to see a flawless town victory that had me end up on every scum wagon. I also remember having a run of 3 consecutive town games where we managed to lynch scum D1 sometime in the M70s.

One of my most cherished scum games is most certainly RMM28. I got a Mafia Traitor role that didn't know the other mafia, figured out who one of my partners was, and worked hard to keep them alive through to the end. I think the final important mislynch was preceded by a long discussion with (town!)iguana, and it would be years from this game until iguana started trusting me again...

I feel like I've lost some of my ability to spot scum early over the years; these days, it usually takes me until D3 before I really start making good cases. I'm not sure how this happened, maybe I just used to have more time on my hand to think about things, but it would be nice to get back to my earlier form.

Moderator track application:

One of the favorite games I designed was Firefly Mafia. It was a small game and in order to offest the swinginess and early ending of small games, I turned it into a Mafia/Resistance hybrid. I think it worked out really well, and in the end it was so close that it was hard to even call the winner, so I feel like the balance turned out really nicely, which is especially hard to achieve when you try out new concepts like this.

A normal game design that I still remember fondly is Night Vale Mafia. It had an open setup that worked just very well, and it was strange enough to capture the theme.

One of my bigger regrets is Sherlock Mafia. First of all, its roles were too complicated to really make it a normal game. And second, my main idea of the Moriarty character ended up not really working since it turns out players are just happy to jump to their QTs without reading the role carefully. It ended up playing out not the way I wanted at all and I should have added more precautions for that.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 12:20:54 pm »

Firefly was indeed an awesome game. I remember it fondly not only because it was great, but also because I watched the series. Thank faust!

Talking about my moderation, I remember Gravity Falls Mafia as the one I was REALLY proud of, because I have made it myself, without any help and it was balanced and very fun.

Honorable mention to M98 not because I did something good, but because the game itself was awesomely played by both sides and it was really fun to moderate.

The one I regret probably is RMM50, because I don't remember it much. I was very cautious about making the setup and it was somehow favored towards scum a lot, some of the ideas didn't work and me trying to make game equally insane, balanced and unforgettable failed. I don't know what I'd changed, maybe getting some advice would be good, or just not making this game at all.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2020, 04:38:36 pm »

i'll tell you, what i didn't expect was to find a d1 towntell for faust that i hadn't noticed before! (i mean i've only checked a few games but it's fairly consistent)

gosh but i'm really enjoying reading these games from the perspective of "okay, what can i learn from this player's performance"

xkcd mafia i learned that that town was on fire with their analysis. faust got mvp but space and schadd were both awesome too. i would have been just terrified to be scum in that game.

she/her
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 20 queries.