Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Inheritance revisited: your cards on buy  (Read 1402 times)

SSLY

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: SSLY
  • aka Seesaw
  • Respect: +27
    • View Profile
Inheritance revisited: your cards on buy
« on: February 18, 2020, 10:29:15 am »
+3

Inheritance FAQ once stated that when you bought a card, it became yours for Inherited when-buy abilities to work. the errata last year displaced those any more, is the ruling still valid?

If yes, then interaction with Market Square is problematic now. MS usually can’t react to trashing from Supply (e.g. Salt the Earth), but if you buy a card (just yours though it’s still staying in Supply) and trash it from there in the buy window — I mean during resolving when-buy for it — you can activate MS. There is a sample: Buy an Inherited Estate with a Haggler in play, gain a Ferry-ed Lurker, Innovation it to trash the Estate.

I assume the FAQ is not specific to Estate but deduction from general rule, so not only Inherited Estate but all bought cards are yours on buy, which can refine the above example using more Events than recommended. I’m not sure whether the assumption is right, though.

your cards are defined by 2nd Base rulebook and by some posts in the forum, and relevant part of Inheritance FAQ is:
An Estate is yours if either it started in your deck, or you gained it or bought it, ...
(The rulebook of Adventures, 2nd, p. 12)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 02:22:20 am by SSLY »

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
Re: Inheritance revisited: your cards on buy
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 01:49:00 pm »

The Lurker can't trash the card you bought, only an unbought card from the Supply.  So, the card that you trashed with Lurker isn't yours, thus doesn't activate Market Square
They/them

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 02:55:39 pm »
+5

Inheritance FAQ once stated that when you buy a card, it became yours for Inherited when-buy abilities to work. the errata last year displaced those any more, is the ruling still valid?

I assume the FAQ is not specific to Estate but deduction from general rule, so not only Inherited Estate but all bought cards are yours on buy, which can refine the above example using more Events than recommended. I’m not sure whether the assumption is right, though.
The whole thing there with Inheritance was, I wanted when-buy abilities to trigger for Estates, since I thought people would think they would. (A way better solution there is to not have when-buy triggers.)

With Inheritance fixed, it seems unnecessary and weird, maybe bad, to have this rule that bought cards are yours; you don't have the card yet. So for now at least let's say they aren't.

SSLY

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: SSLY
  • aka Seesaw
  • Respect: +27
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 11:01:16 am »

The Lurker can't trash the card you bought, only an unbought card from the Supply.
Anyhow this is not supported.

With Inheritance fixed, it seems unnecessary and weird, maybe bad, to have this rule that bought cards are yours; you don't have the card yet. So for now at least let's say they aren't.
Alright, sounds good decision.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 12:20:14 pm by SSLY »

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2020, 11:25:15 am »

The Lurker can't trash the card you bought, only an unbought card from the Supply.

Why? You buy the top card from the pile, so the card Lurker trashes is the same card. Do you mean that the Lurker trashes the second card from the top?

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2020, 01:13:15 pm »

Why? You buy the top card from the pile, so the card Lurker trashes is the same card. Do you mean that the Lurker trashes the second card from the top?

Oh, I get it now!  It's bought but not yet gained.  I was confused there because I was thinking once it was bought it was no longer in the Supply.  Forgot that there was that intermediate phase where it's bought but still in the Supply
They/them
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 20 queries.