Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Post errata Band of Misfits + Cargo Ship  (Read 1225 times)

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2110
    • View Profile
Post errata Band of Misfits + Cargo Ship
« on: February 18, 2020, 06:27:07 am »
+2

If you play a Cargo Ship from the supply with Band of Misfits, do you set aside the card on top of the Cargo Ship Supply pile, given that Cargo Ship says "you may set it aside (on this)".

If it's there
1) Can that card set aside on top of Cargo Ship be bought
2) Can Cargo Ships be bought while a card sits on top of the pile
3) If the Cargo Ship can be bought and is bought, do you still put the card into your hand (given that the card the card is no longer set aside (on this))

dz

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: DZ
  • Respect: +342
    • View Profile
Re: Post errata Band of Misfits + Cargo Ship
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 07:49:37 am »
+1

If Cargo Ship was put in play, the card you set aside still isn't in play - it's in set-aside land. So if Cargo Ship is played from the pile, the set aside card won't be on the pile - it's still in set-aside land.

The card is still put in your hand next turn, even if Cargo Ship goes somewhere else (e.g. trashed with Bonfire).

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 09:54:35 am »
+1

^Yeah, the "on this" doesn't change anything in regards to "where" the card actually goes, and has no effect on rules at all. It is only a way to help you track that the card is set-aside and needs to go to your hand later.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

MatthewCA

• Thief
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 12:19:05 pm »

Side question, is there any kind of rule or generally accepted conventional way of dealing with parentheses in card text unless its explicitly stated on the card? Let me use examples. We know that Governor tells you exactly what the parentheses mean because it tells us. Cargo Ship uses parentheses to let us know where specifically on the table we should put the set aside card so that we remember to put it in our hand at the start of the next turn, but this isn't necessary, just a "best practice" way to make sure you actually do what the card says. My question is, do all parentheses on cards indicate "best practices" for tracking effects, unless the card says explicitly what the parentheses are for, like Governor.

*edits for clairity
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 12:32:21 pm by MatthewCA »

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 02:44:38 pm »
+1

Side question, is there any kind of rule or generally accepted conventional way of dealing with parentheses in card text unless its explicitly stated on the card? Let me use examples. We know that Governor tells you exactly what the parentheses mean because it tells us. Cargo Ship uses parentheses to let us know where specifically on the table we should put the set aside card so that we remember to put it in our hand at the start of the next turn, but this isn't necessary, just a "best practice" way to make sure you actually do what the card says. My question is, do all parentheses on cards indicate "best practices" for tracking effects, unless the card says explicitly what the parentheses are for, like Governor.
There's no general "ignore what's in parentheses" rule like for Magic. Sometimes parenthetical stuff is important rules text that I think wants to be less visible, like "or reveals they can't"; sometimes it's redundant helpful stuff, like "this is not in the supply."

Cargo Ship is just being helpful; you set aside a card, and if you have that Cargo ship in play as you usually do, that's a good place to put the set-aside card.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.595 seconds with 20 queries.