Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Questions about French translations of new expansions  (Read 1243 times)

Marls

• Pawn
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
Questions about French translations of new expansions
« on: February 06, 2020, 10:00:03 pm »

Hi all, wondering if someone can help with my questions about Expansions and Promo cards. My friends and I have just gotten into Dominion and have bought quite a few expansions between us now. Our first purchase of Base Set was a French version as we are located in Quebec and we've tried to keep the expansions consistent because of this. Unfortunately it seems the previous translators(?), Ystari Games, were bought by Asmodee at some point after Adventures. From what I can tell, nothing has been translated into French from that point onwards. (Including Base and Intrigue Second Editions. We have the first translated editions but wanted to try the new cards as well :( )

Our group was a little crestfallen to find out our collection would have to stop at this point, as we were looking forward to the new expansion this year. I know we could also just buy English versions as everything is compatible but some people in our current gaming group have trouble with English as a second language. So I guess my main questions are these:

Will any of the expansions after Adventures ever get official translations?

Will any of the new Promo cards get a translation, or any old ones get a reprint? It seems impossible to find any of the older ones in french, even on Ebay.

I understand these would depend on getting another company to translate which is costly and can take a long time but any news would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 10:04:32 pm by Marls »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about French translations of new expansions
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 04:11:56 pm »
+2

Will any of the expansions after Adventures ever get official translations?

Will any of the new Promo cards get a translation, or any old ones get a reprint? It seems impossible to find any of the older ones in french, even on Ebay.

I understand these would depend on getting another company to translate which is costly and can take a long time but any news would be appreciated.
The foreign versions entirely depend on foreign publishers wanting to make them. If they do, they do the translations, which aren't so costly, and print the expansions and hooray. If they don't, so much for that. If a foreign publisher for a particular language isn't interested in new expansions, and another publisher in that language is, we might switch publishers; it depends on uh stuff though. It's not my department but you know. Maybe RGG has a good or bad relationship with a particular publisher, and so on.

I think the online version has French, translated by fans. So you could print out images and have them handy when playing with English cards. You can also let the current French publisher know that you want new expansions, or let RGG know that you want them to find a new French publisher. RGG would be happy to have the game in every language for all sets. Some publishers were turned off by the tokens in Empires, which made that set more expensive; possibly the reason the French publisher stopped there.

I know Menagerie will come out in Japanese (I think promptly) and German (I don't know when and they have been a year after us for recent sets). It seems likely that it will come out in Dutch since Renaissance did. Beyond that, it's a mystery.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 02:41:16 am by Donald X. »

Marls

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 09:37:12 pm »

Thanks for the reply Donald, I wasn't sure who to contact so I'm glad I came here!  I'll see if I can contact RGG and find out if they'd be interested in finding another publisher :)

Marls

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2020, 11:25:44 am »
+3

Ok I thought I would post my findings here in case anyone else ever goes looking for answers to these questions as well ;)

Scott from RGG answered me incredibly quickly and gave me an overview of the situation. Here are the current Expansions that have been translated to French:

Dominion Base
Intrigue
Seaside
Guilds
Alchemy
Prosperity
Cornucopia
Hinterlands
Dark Ages
Adventures

Ystari Games still has the rights to produce French Dominion but they only print Base Dominion now. He also isn't sure if Ystari/Asmodee will make new promo cards or not. I'm going to try and contact Asmodee and Ystari to find out more!

Ok, j’ai pensé mettre le résultat de mes recherches ici au cas où d’autres personnes auraient aussi besoin d’aide par rapport à ces questions. ;)

Scott de RGG m’a répondu incroyablement rapidement et m’a donné une vue d’ensemble sur la situation. Voici, à ce jour, les expansions qui ont été traduites en Français :

Dominion Base
L'Intrigue
Rivages
Guildes
Alchimie
Prospérité
Abondance
L'Arrière-Pays
Age des Tenebres
L'Aventures

Ystari Games a toujours les droits pour produire les versions Françaises de Dominion, mais pour l’instant, ils n’impriment que la version de base de Dominion. Il n’est aussi pas sûr si Ystari/Asmodee vont faire des nouvelles cartes de promotion. Je vais essayer de contacter Asmodee et Ystari pour en savoir plus !
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 08:35:03 pm by Marls »

Marls

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2020, 09:09:23 am »

24/2/2020

Just an update for anyone interested. I've email both Ystari and Asmodee Canada and no one has replied so far :(

Une petite mise à jour pour ceux qui sont intéressés. J'ai envoyé un courriel à Ystari et Asmodee Canada et je n'ai eu aucune réponse à ce jour.

4/3/2020

Still no answer from either company, we're trying to contact Asmodee France to see if that works!

Toujours aucunes réponses des deux compagnies. Je vais essayer de contacter Asmodee France pour voir si ça marche de ce côté!

« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 03:09:49 pm by Marls »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 20 queries.