Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Gaining a Treasure in your Buy phase  (Read 1571 times)

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
Gaining a Treasure in your Buy phase
« on: February 01, 2020, 12:55:51 am »

Hello everyone!

I have a very simple question for you all. If you gain a Treasure card in your hand during your Buy phase and have extra Buys to spare, can you immediately play that Treasure to increase your money for that turn, or can you not play that newly gained card even though it's in your hand ? Thank you for the help and apologies if that issue was discussed to death before.
Bottom text

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
Re: Gaining a Treasure in your Buy phase
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2020, 01:55:25 am »
+1

You can immediately play it if you have not yet bought anything. You have to finish playing Treasures before buying anything, but if you gain a new Treasure in hand while you're still in the Treasure-playing stage, you can play the new one as well.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 01:59:21 am »

So if you buy something during your Buy phase that makes you gain a Treasure in your hand, you cannot play it because you've already bought something during that buy Phase, correct? If so, then I've been playing some cards wrong with my group.  ;D
Bottom text

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2020, 02:08:21 am »
+1

So if you buy something during your Buy phase that makes you gain a Treasure in your hand, you cannot play it because you've already bought something during that buy Phase, correct? If so, then I've been playing some cards wrong with my group.  ;D

Right.  In effect, the Buy phase is actually two distinct phases, a "Spend" phase followed by a "Buy" phase, even though they're officially referred to as a single phase.  Once you start buying things, you're no longer in your "Spend" phase, in the same way that once you spend your money, you can no longer play an Action card, because you are now out of your Action phase

But also, maybe I'm missing something, but I can't see how you'd gain a Treasure card (or any card without a gain-to-hand instruction on it, for that matter) into your hand during your Buy phase?
They/them

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2020, 02:42:00 am »
+1

You might, for example, buy an Explorer with Innovation.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2020, 08:53:58 am »
+2

Right.  In effect, the Buy phase is actually two distinct phases, a "Spend" phase followed by a "Buy" phase, even though they're officially referred to as a single phase.
When explaining Dominion to new players, I refer to "a Buy phase consisting of two sub-phases, the 'play Treasures' sub-phase, then the 'make purchases' sub-phase". It generally seems to stick, provided I'm firm during the first half dozen turns they take and explain that it's important to get into good habits because it will matter for more complex cards they encounter in later games.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2020, 10:59:53 am »

Right.  In effect, the Buy phase is actually two distinct phases, a "Spend" phase followed by a "Buy" phase, even though they're officially referred to as a single phase.  Once you start buying things, you're no longer in your "Spend" phase, in the same way that once you spend your money, you can no longer play an Action card, because you are now out of your Action phase

But also, maybe I'm missing something, but I can't see how you'd gain a Treasure card (or any card without a gain-to-hand instruction on it, for that matter) into your hand during your Buy phase?

Haha, while this might be possible to achieve with real Dominion cards, it was our fan cards variant that created the situation which lead me to my question.
Specifically, it was with those 2 cards:

If you have a Chalice on your Tavern mat and buy a Refractory Gold during your Buy phase, you may call your Chalice to immediately trash that Refractory Gold. This would give you the immediate bonus of the Refractory Gold's on-trash of +1 Buy and + (the +1 Action being lost as you are not in your Action phase anymore). But you could also immediately gain a Silver to your hand because the Chalice says that you can. Now that newly gained Silver in your hand, we were wondering if it could immediately be put in play to basically have the extra buy and an extra (from that gained Silver and the Refractory Gold's ) to get, say, a Duchy.

But you guys have made it clear that you can't. This super combo is weaker it appears. Thanks for the clarification!
Bottom text

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2020, 03:19:31 pm »
+2

(This is not the variant forum, but FYI: "when you gain a card, you may trash it instead" doesn't make any sense. You can't trash it "instead" of gaining it, since you already gained it. You could gain an Ill-Gotten Gains, giving Curses to your opponents, and then trash the IGG. This would be exactly like Watchtower. The other way, with "instead", would be with "when you would gain" like Trader, but then trashing the card doesn't make much sense.)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 20 queries.