Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Contemplating horrible cards.  (Read 1275 times)

somekindoftony

• Bishop
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
Contemplating horrible cards.
« on: January 27, 2020, 08:51:43 pm »

By horrible I don't mean bad design. I'm thinking more like encouraging a bit more of a darker side to players whether its being a spoiler of the overall game (like Salt the Earth) or just slowing the game down like Tax does. I'd only ever put these in a set alongside "nice" cards like Council Room or Embassy for balance.

Not sure Vampirism is costed correctly.

(4 Vampirism - Action- Attack
Each other player gains a curse and a Vampirism.
-
When you buy this card gain 2VP.)

You can check them out here;
https://imgur.com/gallery/hnArgbS

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
Re: Contemplating horrible cards.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 10:19:15 pm »

By horrible I don't mean bad design. I'm thinking more like encouraging a bit more of a darker side to players whether its being a spoiler of the overall game (like Salt the Earth) or just slowing the game down like Tax does. I'd only ever put these in a set alongside "nice" cards like Council Room or Embassy for balance.

-

Maybe I'm missing something here, but it seems like you'd be hurting yourself by playing that, especially in multiplayer.  You play it, and now you've just given your opponents a curser
They/them

bitwise

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +142
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 10:28:23 pm »

-

Maybe I'm missing something here, but it seems like you'd be hurting yourself by playing that, especially in multiplayer.  You play it, and now you've just given your opponents a curser
If it's a bad card, wouldn't it be a good effect to give it to your opponents?  ;)

somekindoftony

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 10:55:14 pm »

The idea of Vampirism is that its going to take over everyones decks with both curses and itself as the Vampirism plague spreads. But only the person who buys it will have the VP.
Is that enough of an incentive to buy it (and also be the first to play it)? Perhaps not. But I can imagine games where someone begs everyone else not to buy it - only to backstab them by buying it themself.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 12:11:41 am »
+2

It's not just the 2, it's also the fact that you hand out more Curses faster. The real problem here is that it drains 2 piles at once while also giving you . It seems like the IGG rush except even worse because it drains itself. The right move might be just to buy this every single turn you can; if you do and your opponent doesn't; it ends up something like:

You: 3 Curses, 7 other dead cards, 8
Opponent: 7 Curses, 3 other dead cards

Just a random guess on the numbers... but you will have fewer Curses and more Vampirism. Then you just drain Estates or something for the win.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

somekindoftony

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 02:08:43 am »

It's not just the 2, it's also the fact that you hand out more Curses faster. The real problem here is that it drains 2 piles at once while also giving you . It seems like the IGG rush except even worse because it drains itself. The right move might be just to buy this every single turn you can; if you do and your opponent doesn't; it ends up something like:

You: 3 Curses, 7 other dead cards, 8
Opponent: 7 Curses, 3 other dead cards

Just a random guess on the numbers... but you will have fewer Curses and more Vampirism. Then you just drain Estates or something for the win.

I quess the question remains - what did they buy instead of the Vampirism? If they bought silver I doubt they would come out ahead (too much junk in their deck to see them getting to buy a province through accumulating treasure) but if they bought card draw, villages and trashers they might have kept their deck alot more competitive to pick up duchys while the other player bought estates.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 08:05:28 am »
+2

GendoIkari's analysis is spot on.

About the other cards, Shiv is political. That violates a core design principle of Dominion but as it is a one-shot it is perhaps a neat handicap mechanic: players can hurt whom they consider to be the better Dominion player early on. But the card does not work: you will try (Doctor and other stuff) to play it before the first shuffle and you will only hurt whomever you want to hurt if he has 5 Coppers or he has 4 Coppers and both you and the other player gang up on him.

Go-Between is a fine design. A Workshop that draws 2 cards seems like a $4.5 to me so you often have an incentive to buy this.

The Club is my favourite design. Instead of a fixed number like 3 I would scale the pile accordingly to the number of players instead. Also, playtest it. The vanilla stuff could simply be too good such that players will always rush the Clubs.

Irrelevant comment: not a fan of the modern theme on these cards.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 20 queries.