Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Barracks & Academy project prices make no sense, especially viz a viz each other  (Read 3484 times)

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile

Ok first off academy is insane. :o the ability to literally never run out of actions.   ;D Should probably be a 7 cost project really, maybe even worth like 12  in any deck with good terminal draw. Academy being on the board means if your strategy doesn't involve an engine drawing 15+ cards and getting at least 16/two provies you almost have no shot to win absent bizarrely cruel shuffle luck..(although recently academy allowed me to get to 28+ getting  2 dominates in one turn  8) )

But in what world would the project that costs one more than academy, only provide one action per turn.  Like literally somehow one guaranteed action per turn costs more than the ability to never run out of actions (assuming you get academy early, it would be possible to run out of actions if you got academy late, but unless it was SUPER late/there were literally zero +1 action academy helpers etc you would almost have to try to construct a deck that could so so a la the Dominion Puzzles threads.)
Honestly I think barracks should be like a 5 or really even a four cost project a la fair.  In fact given the option (which i don't think you can b/c I've never seen two projects in one deck) I'd usually buy fair over barracks (even if they both theoretically were the same cost) as buys are so sorely lacking on more boards than actions are.

Random stream of consciousness/rant but i just don't get the is one at at all.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 10:58:16 pm by Honkeyfresh »
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

MiX

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: MiX
  • It's me.
  • Respect: +59
    • View Profile

Academy could be priced like Chapel: when Academy's on the board, having to spike more than 5 money for it is very important, and since you start getting villagers before you need them, unlike, for example, Lost Arts where you only need to spike for it when you have a couple of the actions you want, if you don't get to it early enough but the opponents do you might be too behind to compete. Sorta like Inheritance.

Barracks on the other hand is just overpriced, it could cost 5 as it's probably much better than a village but that's it. It probably makes for better decisions at 6 rather than 5, because now you have to decide between it and gold I guess, not to mention you could try to spike for it. But it's not really worth 6 in comparison.

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile

Academy could be priced like Chapel: when Academy's on the board, having to spike more than 5 money for it is very important, and since you start getting villagers before you need them, unlike, for example, Lost Arts where you only need to spike for it when you have a couple of the actions you want, if you don't get to it early enough but the opponents do you might be too behind to compete. Sorta like Inheritance.

Barracks on the other hand is just overpriced, it could cost 5 as it's probably much better than a village but that's it. It probably makes for better decisions at 6 rather than 5, because now you have to decide between it and gold I guess, not to mention you could try to spike for it. But it's not really worth 6 in comparison.

Totally agree.  Then again, i think chapel should probably cost closer to 4 in real value (if not higher.  I have routinely purchased chapel with 4 coins, and can think of many 5 cost cards that i would theoretically forgo for chapel. Like I'd rather open with a chapel in my theoretical deck than an explorer/mine/counterfeit etc.

"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
+2

It probably makes for better decisions at 6 rather than 5, because now you have to decide between it and gold I guess

You mean you have to decide between it and a $5.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile

In my opinion both Projects could cost $5 or $6. Academy is very often better than Barracks but far from being strictly better. For example a non-engine board with few non-terminals and crucial terminals like Goons profits more from Barracks than Academy.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile

Games that lack draw make Academy less favourable compared to Barracks. I guess Barracks also starts working the next turn, whereas you still got to get action cards after getting Academy.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile

Consider the case when you're greening. Starting every turn with an extra Action is suddenly a lot better than getting Villagers from card buys you aren't buying anymore. The Villagers are only better when you don't have to use them and can thus stockpile them.

That said I agree either could cost $5 or $6 and it doesn't really matter. Who cares.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
+1

I had an IRL game a couple days ago with Academy, Cathedral, Devil's Workshop, and Inventor.

Academy may as well have read "gain a Champion from outside the game and play it."
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
+4

At $5, Academy gives you a decision as to when to get it, that I like, and at $6 it would sometimes be, one player doesn't hit $6 for a while and is penalized. So I like it at $5.

Barracks could have also been $5. There's no good reason for it to be $6 instead, though costing $6 isn't as bad here as it would be on Academy. It's not the worst mistake in the set, and the set overall doesn't have me losing sleep, it's good times. But sure, why is Barracks $6.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.