Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 99  All

Author Topic: RMM55: Falling Skies Mafia 2 (Game Over)  (Read 221053 times)

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: Skip Wooznum
  • he/him
    • View Profile
Re: RMM55: Falling Skies Mafia 2 (Day 1)
« Reply #175 on: March 30, 2020, 04:14:41 pm »

There is no way for me to win with faust.... it’s just a double bind. Say less and it would fall into the fluffy category (which is totally, and unabashedly me...so, hey, nice to meet you!) or be more concrete and then be scummy. Eddie is “my role is meh”, LL is “my role is boring”, Cayvie is “my role is crazypants”.... but somehow I have most significantly violated faust’s ideas about what kinds of statements are scummy or not.  He doesn’t say why, he just votes for me. There is no interaction. So, my response was/is “Le sigh.”
Are you saying that your only 2 options for how to play this game are to not claim anything at all about your role and make exclusively fluffy posts, or to claim things about your role?

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 30, 2020, 04:21:23 pm »

My role is complicated and has lots of moving parts, but not super powerful. (Again, kind of like my life...)
I like this softclaim. Like, not in the sense that I think it's pro-town necessarily; like, in the sense that it strikes me as true and makes me lean town on wcd.
describe a softclaim you would not like.  And one you would only kinda like.
One that doesn't commit to having a complicated role.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: WestCoastDidds
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 30, 2020, 05:22:42 pm »

There is no way for me to win with faust.... it’s just a double bind. Say less and it would fall into the fluffy category (which is totally, and unabashedly me...so, hey, nice to meet you!) or be more concrete and then be scummy. Eddie is “my role is meh”, LL is “my role is boring”, Cayvie is “my role is crazypants”.... but somehow I have most significantly violated faust’s ideas about what kinds of statements are scummy or not.  He doesn’t say why, he just votes for me. There is no interaction. So, my response was/is “Le sigh.”
Are you saying that your only 2 options for how to play this game are to not claim anything at all about your role and make exclusively fluffy posts, or to claim things about your role?

No, those were the choices you listed in your multiple choice question to faust
classic Diddsian meddling
I never got to read what Didds said, but whatever she's saying, she's right.

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 30, 2020, 05:24:33 pm »

vote: cayvie
vote: pubby
No, this is a good reason to vote cayvie. Scumpoints.
Is this sarcastic? If not, explain please.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 30, 2020, 05:28:37 pm »

My role is complicated and has lots of moving parts, but not super powerful. (Again, kind of like my life...)
I like this softclaim. Like, not in the sense that I think it's pro-town necessarily; like, in the sense that it strikes me as true and makes me lean town on wcd.

I think that in this game, even fairly boring roles are likely to be complicated. It’s all over the set up with the earning of advanced players only. The complications are Ashersky’s version of fun.
I don’t think committing to having a complicated role matters much in the big scheme. All of this was just a comment on solidarity with cayvie, who has a complicated and interesting, albeit crazy pants, role.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: March 30, 2020, 05:28:49 pm »

But what does this have to do with "winning with faust"?
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 30, 2020, 05:35:05 pm »

Sorry Skip, I misread this. I agree that committing to a complicated role is committing to something (disagree with faust), even if I think it’s mostly meaningless since most of the roles are probably complicated.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 30, 2020, 05:37:35 pm »

Classic false dichotomy.  My Quant.Reasoning students would love it.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 30, 2020, 05:38:54 pm »

I need to figure out why people are voting since we have some serious votes now.

Sorry, slow start for me getting into this game with the weekend then just a case of the Mondays
which ones do you think brought us into "SVS" (serious voting stage)?

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 30, 2020, 05:48:48 pm »

You seem to be saying that If I wanted to engage in the conversation about roles, there wasn’t any way that I’d have been able to do so without creating an impression that I was outright scummy or piling on for towncred. If I was more concrete, it would be revealing too much. Less concrete, not verifiable.

So, if I wanted to not raise your hackles...I should either comment on those who were talking about their roles or just stay out of it completely, rather than engaging the conversation by reciprocating. I find that thinking this way can make me timid, especially when I’m town. That’s why I said that I thought we’d turned over a new leaf...we have been playing together pretty effectively lately. But not so much now.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 30, 2020, 07:14:27 pm »

vote: WCD
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 30, 2020, 07:15:09 pm »

very defensive and doesn't feel like usual townie mctownerson

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 30, 2020, 07:19:46 pm »

very defensive and doesn't feel like usual townie mctownerson

I don't see it, she seems townie to me here tbh
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 30, 2020, 07:22:26 pm »

You seem to be saying that If I wanted to engage in the conversation about roles, there wasn’t any way that I’d have been able to do so without creating an impression that I was outright scummy or piling on for towncred. If I was more concrete, it would be revealing too much. Less concrete, not verifiable.

So, if I wanted to not raise your hackles...I should either comment on those who were talking about their roles or just stay out of it completely, rather than engaging the conversation by reciprocating. I find that thinking this way can make me timid, especially when I’m town. That’s why I said that I thought we’d turned over a new leaf...we have been playing together pretty effectively lately. But not so much now.

This post rings some bells inside of me

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 30, 2020, 07:45:28 pm »

Oh, FFS, LaLight....how can anyone engage with faust and not sound defensive?

Gah!

*what I really need is to take a walk and get out of my house but it’s raining and there is no place to go and sorry for being snippy

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 30, 2020, 07:51:52 pm »

Oh, FFS, LaLight....how can anyone engage with faust and not sound defensive?

Gah!

*what I really need is to take a walk and get out of my house but it’s raining and there is no place to go and sorry for being snippy

I think I can do that, actually

*I understand you quite a lot, and I support you! The weather will get better.

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 30, 2020, 10:21:32 pm »

I agree that committing to a complicated role is committing to something (disagree with faust), even if I think it’s mostly meaningless since most of the roles are probably complicated.
I've been contemplating this sentence for an embarrassingly long time. Didds, I'm sorry if this is getting tedious, but could you expand on what you mean here.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 30, 2020, 10:29:06 pm »

Vote Count 1.3:

cayvie (1): pubby
WCD (2): faust, LaLight
pubby (2): EFHW, uncle
uncle (3): cayvie, skip, DatSwan
2.7 (1): MiX

Not Voting (5): 2.7, WCD, Galzria, shraeye, mail-mi

With 14 alive, it takes 8 to lynch. Day 1 ends Tuesday, April 7 at 10:00 a.m.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 30, 2020, 10:36:54 pm »

Skip-

I’ll paraphrase because I’m on my phone....and don’t have the capacity to quote right now

Faust said that my claim was scummy because saying it was complicated wasn’t verifiable, and couldn’t be used to constrain a future fake claim.

I disagree. At the very least, when I’m dead the complicated/moving parts of the role I mentioned earlier will revealed. If I was lying I’d be constrained from claiming a simple role. My role is complicated and has some moving parts.

My guess is that there are other people that have similarly complicated roles. At the very least cayvie is in that boat. So, I don’t think it is particularly revealing to say my role is complicated because I bet lots of people aren’t sitting with simple roles.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 30, 2020, 10:42:07 pm »

Changed my mind Just going to post my stream of conscience upon my reread. To make this easy for Ash, I'll start with this on it's own line:

vote: Cayvie

-----------

Game starts at #57

- #66/#67: Cayvie is usually on-point with literally everything. Her reaction to faust noting this first strikes me as off. Cayvie doesn't miss this. Town!Cavie is ready to go with discussion or even brings this up first - ???!Cayvie says "now that you point it out"
- #68: LaLight, first half not-scum LaLight. Second half, not convinced doesn’t apply to him.
- #71: MiX, sounds like it’s him that’s Third Party saying he won’t get caught by this?
- #88: Definitely think Cayvie isn’t green-text
- #90: In combination with #68 LaLight is town
- #99 – Eddie appears. Haven’t played with him since we orchestrated an everybody loses game. Epic memories. Don’t trust anything he says.
- #101 – Every post Cayvie makes confirms my growing bias that she’s not green-aligned. Town!Cayvie claims quickly/unprompted during a cold day in hell.
- #104 – Does Swan focus on/lock in on setup stuff more as town or scum? <- check back <-- Eh, NAI
- General Thoughts: Skip is giving me town vibes. Faust… I’m not sure. He’s middle of the road, which in itself is weird, as he usually read scummy to me.
- #129 Mail-Mi not human?
- #130: EFHW seems arbitrary here. Not sure if that’s a scummy trait or not.
- #130-134: Lean scummy on EFHW’s approach to reads. Gut feeling.
- #137 is what I expect from Cayvie. It feels contrasted with her earlier posts (not contradictory, just different).
- #138 I agree with Eddie that faust hasn’t seemed normal. Not sure on Pubby. He hasn’t really stood out to me thusfar. Note to focus more on second reread.
- #139 Cayvie agrees with my general thought from line above, but defends it considerably stronger than I would have.
- #145/#146 – Talk about WCD soft-claim. Reread/Follow up - don’t recall/didn’t stand out? <- Wasn’t much there, which seems to be the point.
- #148 : Swan : Thoughts. I’m not sure I agree with his approach to Eddie’s thoughts here. Paragraph 1 I disagree with – but because I myself have found faust slightly off. Paragraph 2 I kind of agree with (point about Cayvie defending Pubby above)
- General Thoughts again: faust has become slightly townier in his posts. Or at least, more ‘fausty’ – that’s mostly NAI I think, but would be expected from town!faust in general, and scum!faust as the game goes on.
- #151 Does Skip have more knowledge of the setup (“Moving parts … make sense with the rest of the setup”) than he should?
- #152 Eddie self-aware. NAI
- General Thoughts : MiX reading generally townie “not really put together” MiX.
- #156 – Didds… I feel the frustration – but the defeatist here… more town or scum? Watch closer.
- #159 – Kinda agree with faust here in reference to #159 above. That’s what I was feeling. Hmm.
- #166 – Why does e! care who is voting for him here? I think he has… 1? 2? 0? votes… Concern seems wrong.
- #167 – Eddie’s response to MiX is townie. Last time I thought Eddie was townie he was scum (so was I, multi-ball)
- #168 – This is where I’m at (agreement with MiX)
- General Thoughts: Don’t care for Shraeye’s approach. Town. Frustrated WCD is… NAI. Would do as town or as scum.

----------

Sorry that's not more put together. I followed through my first intent to re-read, but was having trouble afterwards deciding where I specifically wanted to dive in to - so figured I would just share the thoughts I have had up to this point.

Feel free to prod me on any of those thoughts and I'll try to explain in more detail.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: March 30, 2020, 10:46:34 pm »

Skip-

I’ll paraphrase because I’m on my phone....and don’t have the capacity to quote right now

Faust said that my claim was scummy because saying it was complicated wasn’t verifiable, and couldn’t be used to constrain a future fake claim.

I disagree. At the very least, when I’m dead the complicated/moving parts of the role I mentioned earlier will revealed. If I was lying I’d be constrained from claiming a simple role. My role is complicated and has some moving parts.

My guess is that there are other people that have similarly complicated roles. At the very least cayvie is in that boat. So, I don’t think it is particularly revealing to say my role is complicated because I bet lots of people aren’t sitting with simple roles.
Cool.
So my thing is:
The point of the claim is, as you say, to constrain your future claim so that should you choose to lie, you'd have to make up a complicated/moving parts role. That entails some amount of difficulty,  let's say x difficulty points. What does the presumption that others have complicated roles have to do with the difficulty of making one up?

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 30, 2020, 10:47:03 pm »

Really busy day. Will catch up tomorrow.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 30, 2020, 11:17:34 pm »

Skip-

Cool.
So my thing is:
The point of the claim is, as you say, to constrain your future claim so that should you choose to lie, you'd have to make up a complicated/moving parts role. That entails some amount of difficulty,  let's say x difficulty points. What does the presumption that others have complicated roles have to do with the difficulty of making one up?

I have zero experience making up fake claims. Oh, wait...zero experience on f.ds. It’s literally never happened here. I’m much likely to say too much rather than making ish up.

The one and only time I had to fake claim was in the dice game on Jimmmmm’s lynch pool site. It was an epic fail.

I have no skill or desire to fake claim anything, ever. If I say anything about my role, it will be the truth.

The fact that I think others have complicated roles wasn’t a comment on difficulty or constraint. It was more that I didn’t think it was a controversial or reveal statement when I made it. It wasn’t a calculated revelation. I was responding to meh, boring, crazy pants, with “complicated!”

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 30, 2020, 11:22:58 pm »

Down for vote: cayvie

Sorry, like EFHW, had a busy day.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 30, 2020, 11:38:23 pm »

I'm getting a null read on WCD. She just seems frustrated, which is aggravated by the quarantine situation (P.S. Didds, i feel you).
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 99  All

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 20 queries.