Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Isolated Village - inspired by Hermit and Hideout  (Read 1650 times)

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
Isolated Village - inspired by Hermit and Hideout
« on: January 23, 2020, 07:38:03 pm »
+1

Isolated Village
$4
Action
+2 Actions
Choose one: +1 Card, or you may trash a non-Copper card from your hand.

Inspired by Hermit and Hideout. Even though this card offers choices, it doesn’t require additional tracking like a card that offers variable Actions, Buys, or Coins, because the +1 Card is received right away.  This is particularly useful to avoid slowing down in-person games.  This card seems simple enough that it could conceivably fit in the base set or Intrigue. Replacement for Bureaucrat in Dominion: Third Edition? ;D

Original version:
(Same as current)

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
Re: Isolated Village - inspired by Hermit and Hideout
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 07:59:04 am »

I am sorry but this doesn't excite me (it is obviously mechanically sound). If there are better trashers (and a lot of stuff is better than a Necro which cannot trash Coppers) you will go for them so all this does is provide weak trashing in Kingdoms without better trashers or "en passant" trashing, i.e. choosing that option sometimes instead of the regular Village option.

Hideout's mandatory cantrip trashing is much more exciting as it confuses the entire tempo evaluation concerning trashing. For example if Hideout is your only village, you do perhaps want to trash more slowly than you would otherwise.

Snowyowl

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +81
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 02:00:54 pm »
+1

I love the principle here. I'll be secretly judging every fancard on this basis from now on.

The kind of Actions you can play without needing to track the effect are similar to Night cards - they can't interact with +Coins, or +Buy, or +Actions, respectively because you'll lose them before you can spend them and because they're only tracked by which cards you have in play. Perhaps they can provide you with some inspiration.
You've mentioned trashing and drawing already. The other effects I can think of with this property are discarding, gaining, searching and reordering your deck, and things that use counters (VP, Debt, Coffers, Villagers, etc.). And any combination of them, e.g. trash-for-benefit.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 03:29:00 pm »

I am sorry but this doesn't excite me (it is obviously mechanically sound). If there are better trashers (and a lot of stuff is better than a Necro which cannot trash Coppers) you will go for them so all this does is provide weak trashing in Kingdoms without better trashers or "en passant" trashing, i.e. choosing that option sometimes instead of the regular Village option.

Hideout's mandatory cantrip trashing is much more exciting as it confuses the entire tempo evaluation concerning trashing. For example if Hideout is your only village, you do perhaps want to trash more slowly than you would otherwise.

Are you saying that this card is too weak, too uninteresting, or both?

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 04:55:51 pm »

It is a good example of a balanced and sound card that totally sucks. That describes the majority of my own designs; it is pretty hard to come up with something good. Not just in Dominion but in game design in general: being mechanically fine is fairly easy, at least relative to other game design issues.

As I already wrote, the issue is simply that the secondary option, a Necro that trashes, doesn’t lead to interesting play. Either this is the only trasher so, sure, go for it. Or there are better trashers and this is just a village for 4.

herw

• Golem
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 04:41:53 am »

It is a good example of a balanced and sound card that totally sucks. That describes the majority of my own designs; it is pretty hard to come up with something good. Not just in Dominion but in game design in general: being mechanically fine is fairly easy, at least relative to other game design issues.

As I already wrote, the issue is simply that the secondary option, a Necro that trashes, doesn’t lead to interesting play. Either this is the only trasher so, sure, go for it. Or there are better trashers and this is just a village for 4.
so means: no choice but both?

Isolated Village Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions

You may trash a card other than copper from your hand.

remark: if there is/are chapel or a normal village in your kingdom you should remove those. Remember there should be other Alchemy cards.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 02:33:49 am by herw »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.